sparring at home?

Posted by: goju_girl

sparring at home? - 12/07/05 02:24 PM

Hey, just a quick question...

at my dojo, we have a list of rules to abide by and one of those rules is "no sparring outside of the dojo" or "no sparring matches without BB supervision" but I feel I really need to work on sparring to help my reflexes and speed. So I guess my question is, do you think I should abide by the rules and only spar when we spar in class? Or ignore it, and find a sparring partner outside of my dojo for extra practice?

-Nikita
Posted by: MattJ

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 02:40 PM

No sparring outside the dojo? Are they for real? FIGHTING, I can see. Sparring?

I would ignore that rule totally.
Posted by: yamig

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 03:05 PM

I agree with Matt. I think that in order to become better, you need to experience different sparring strategies used outside of your school or current art.
Posted by: gojuwarrior

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 03:40 PM

Spar outside of the dojo,it is invaluable training,just be careful and dont hurt youself,then you have to explain it to your sensei.

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 05:04 PM

Quote:

dont hurt youself,then you have to explain it to your sensei.

haha, that's good advice there... explaining that would probably be a nightmare
Posted by: Neko456

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 05:07 PM

At a certain rank I think its good to spar outside of your dojo, get use to different attacks/defenses, distance and timing and comfort zones. Find yours and learn how to make the others uncomfortable. Some of my best training have been in the back yards, garages or visiting dojos. Beware that you know these people well and train/not spar with them then determine if you should spar with them. Make friends first, this is important, you can always pick it up later.

Sometimes pending rank or system people have something to prove and it becomes take no prisoners. Or survival of the fittest (maybe not the case if you are a pretty girl, but that might bring more fire, jealousy). I've heard of a student of a different system visiting a dojang and he fought nearly everybody in class one after another until he lost from sure exhaustion. Try to know what you are getting yourself into.

Visitors in my class just became part of the class, its was important that his Sensei was present or a letter from Sensei or he had good Kata so I'd know where to place him.
Just because he's wearing Black belt/green belt don't mean he's really a BB/GB. Even a good Kata BB can spar (maybe not great) and not get hurt, where as a fake he may walk right into something!!!! Usually no kata no sparring in my dojo unless the guy was a boxer/wrestler in a 3kyu and up class, our rules.

I was interested in how his & our system faired but I wanted it to be on fair grounds, for the visitor.

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 05:36 PM

thanks for all the advice guys... now my only problem will be finding a partner...

-Nikki
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 10:22 PM

That rule is just for the legal protection / defense of the dojo. They don't want to be blamed for any injuries sustained from sparring outside the dojo, that's all.

But you need to be more careful when sparring at home as one tends to be more rowdy with no supervision around.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: sparring at home? - 12/07/05 10:39 PM

Quote:

That rule is just for the legal protection / defense of the dojo. They don't want to be blamed for any injuries sustained from sparring outside the dojo, that's all.

But you need to be more careful when sparring at home as one tends to be more rowdy with no supervision around.

Plus, coming from a technical point of view. If you do spar outside of the Dojo a great amount, and have bad habits. You will propogate those bad habits of movement (Dropping Guard, shuffling feet, leading with your head, etc, etc) much more. For there won't be anyone there correcting you or showing what you're doing incorrectly. Another little thought to throw in with The ButterFly of Doom.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: sparring at home? - 12/08/05 04:20 AM

Quote:

The ButterFly of Doom.

How did you get the title for my next book?

Its a book on a collection of things to do or not to do to protect yourself in an urban setting.

Against the hysterical advise of my publisher, I would like to give an example.

When drinking from a cup or glass in a public place, use the left hand. Why, because the majority of people are right handed and so drink from one side of the cup or glass. Using the left hand means you will be drinking from the opposite side where less people drink from and so lessen your chances of getting more than what's in the cup or glass. This is due to the less than thorough washing of drinking utensils in public places.

I would like to also talk about the dangers of using the left-handed screwdriver, but my publisher just called and threatened to pull out, so sorry.
Posted by: FightingFeet

Re: sparring at home? - 02/23/07 10:33 AM

Well, i think is probably ok to have sparring outside dojo as long as you take care of yourself. Sparring is a good way of gaining more experience. (*Humble Opinion*)
Posted by: everyone

Re: sparring at home? - 02/23/07 04:07 PM

Sparing at home is a great way to supplement your training. But, it would be irresponsible to advise a high school student to practice without adult supervision. If you or your sparring partner gets injured, whoever’s home you are practicing in is liable. Maybe you should just practice in class until you have a place of your own.

Posted by: Curly

Re: sparring at home? - 03/01/07 06:06 PM

I think that rule is up there just for safety and liability reasons. So if I were you, I'd go to class early, (or stay after if possible) and spar with a black belt to work on technique
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: sparring at home? - 03/05/07 02:40 AM

Do what you will. Personally, I think its a good thing to spar at home if you have adequate competition.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: sparring at home? - 03/08/07 12:27 AM

Just a few rhetorical questions;

In the event of an injury will you be covered by your parents’ homeowner’s policy?

If your parents are sued but still covered by insurance, can they afford the inevitable rate hikes?

This last question is important because if your parents have a mortgage, the bank will foreclose on them without insurance. Do they have a mortgage?

There are schools, community centers and other martial arts clubs for you to spar at. I urge you to look into some of the places near you.

Good luck!
Posted by: Supremor

Re: sparring at home? - 03/08/07 03:22 AM

Why would you sue your parents? Surely the whole point is that you're sparring with people you know well who won't start sueing you at the drop of a hat?
Posted by: ExCon

Re: sparring at home? - 03/08/07 07:43 AM

Quote:

Why would you sue your parents? Surely the whole point is that you're sparring with people you know well who won't start sueing you at the drop of a hat?

Like goju_girl’s friend might get hurt and her parents want to sue.

Dental work is expensive and worth suing for.