problems starting up on sparring

Posted by: specter

problems starting up on sparring - 11/10/05 02:03 PM

I've been wanting to get into sparring for a long while but the problem is at my dojang we have sparring classes but we dont really "spar" per se. what we do is one person will do a specific attack and another person will do a specific counter attack and we'll keep doing this over and over again and take turns doing it. the problem is that this isn't real sparring and I'd like to get into some real freeform sparring with someone. But most of my friends aren't martial artists and the ones who have done martial arts before dont want to do martial arts again and don't want to spar me because they don't want to do it anymore. My other friends don't want to help me either. my dad is stationed in another city (he's in the national guard)and my brother is in college. neither of them get to visit home often and when they do, they are usually really busy and rarely have time to help me spar and plus dad has a bad back so he can't help me that much anyway. I dont know of any place around my area that i can go to to spar and i don't have a whole lot of money to get into a gym. Is there any advice anyone could give me. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the help,
specter
Posted by: Neko456

Re: problems starting up on sparring - 11/10/05 05:32 PM

Visit other dojos make friends with the people you'd like to work with go to their home talk about sparring. Visit Kung-fu, Karate, TKD schools make friends build a sparring group. Note make friends without this element being that you have never sparred before you could get hurt badlly, Ko, Black eye and tooth knocked out. Sparring people too far advance under black belt without a referee is danagerous. Enroll in open tournaments at your rank, this is kind of safe. But with no experience you gonna get waxed and your $35-$60 lesson is gone in 60 seconds, you learn nothing except u got hit. You can get the wind knocked out of you pretty bad.

A black belt will evaluate your movement and spar accordly if he wants to. A kyu level sometimes is take no prisoner unless you are real good friends.

The safest thing is wait for you Sanbum to start you guys sparring in your dojang. I never seen TKD club that didn't do plently of sparring.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: problems starting up on sparring - 11/10/05 10:23 PM

After noticing your signature, I think you shouldn't be sparring at all.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: problems starting up on sparring - 11/11/05 12:46 AM

what do you mean problems starting up on sparring? from what you have said it seems to me you are in the beginning stages of sparring.sure your not doing free form but you are getting used to a "sparring like" situation.and i'm sure once you advance your instructor will let you do it.remember the old saying "the hunter that chases two rabbits catches none".