Finding sparring partners

Posted by: Hoss

Finding sparring partners - 10/15/05 06:59 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to find some sparring partners. Everyone at my MA school is considerably smaller, including my instructor and do not seem to want to spar. I am still in the white belt stage and figure they could probably handle themselves pretty well since many are blue and black belts. I have resorted to asking co-workers to ask their husbands to spar with me and I am getting the same "deer caught in the headlights" look that I always get. I am 6'3", 255 lbs. I am not a mean, out to hurt someone type of individual. I just want to spar and will do whatever type. I just can't find anyone that wants to. How do other people locate sparring parters?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/15/05 09:43 PM

Normally you find these partners at the school you're training at. Find a BOXING gym if you can and you'll be much better off.

Instructors who don't want to spar = places you want to avoid!

-John
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/17/05 01:46 AM

Ease up, my instructor only just turned 50 - he still fought at his last grading (December). He hasn't sparred since then though. I wouldn't put him in the same category John.

If an instructor doesn't fight, I put it down to the wrong attitude. Some are worried if their students can beat them.

As an instructor, I would want my students to eventually beat more or be my equal. Otherwise my instruction blows, IMO.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/17/05 06:56 AM

Doesn't mean fighting Mark. Sparring doesn't have to be all out. I'm quite sure the majority of 50 year olds can do that unless they've just had that BAD HIP replaced or something.

You'd think he could at least find SOMEONE to spar with. Sounds fishy to me.

-John
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/17/05 09:04 AM

Hoss Stop asking people to spar with you. As you mentioned you are just white belt, it might not be time for you to spar. Work on your basic and note that there is a big difference in sparring like you see in the Movies and TV.
Learn how your shcool does it.

Usually in a dojo they want to give you something to work with then teach you how to use that, blocking and attacking a little foot work and then you learn how to spar.

At that stage you will get plenty of sparring from these smaller students and Instructors. You will find that you have your hands full with all the attacks and in and out move they give. They maybe too fast for you to handle, and you will learn smaller doesn't always mean not enough power to hurt you. Believe me I know I'm about your same size and I've had to pick myself up after sparring or working with smaller people alot, 6'3 225lbs not quite as big as U.

You will note during demos they all want to work with YOU, so practice break falls often. Its just more impressive to beat down or throw a bigger person. So its not all gravy being the biggest guy in a dojo!!!

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/20/05 01:16 AM

A co-workers husband heard that I have been wanting to spar and now he wants to spar with me. He is a whopping 6'6", 295 lbs. I may not be able to do much to phase him but I think I would definitely learn the importance of speed and staying out of the way of a punch. I know I should wait a while but I have always had a hard time sitting on the bench.
Posted by: Gula

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/20/05 06:02 AM

Dont you have sparring time in your class or some kind of a "sparring class" in your school?
As JKogas said I too would strongly recomend visiting a decent boxing gym... If you dont fear your nose to geting sore =)
For my experience it would give you the best sparring and learning experience. Also they (at least the boxing gym Im going) usally puts the bigger guys to sparr with slightly more experienced fighters to eaven up and give both fighters a good match to learn something from. In the BOXING RING you will see that the size does not mean so much.. ,unless your talking about over 20kg difrence..., I once fought about 10kg lighter guy and tought this would be a piece of cake.. my nose started to bleed in the first round hehe

Good luck!
Posted by: schanne

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/20/05 09:38 AM

Where do you live?

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/20/05 03:36 PM

We have sparring at my school but he wants everyone to wait about six months to a year, regardless of past experience. He has fight night once a month but he said that I would have to wait at least a year, maybe more for that. It seems like a pretty good place overall. I am just surprised at how skittish so many people are around me.

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/20/05 03:37 PM

Schanne, I live in Gainesville, GA, on the northeast side of Lake Lanier, about an hour north of Atlanta. How about you?
Posted by: schanne

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/21/05 12:02 PM

Sorry Hoss, your to dam far away. If you ever get up to NJ drop me a line and we can get together.....yeah sparrings fun!
Posted by: yamig

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/21/05 02:52 PM

From my limited experience (I'm only an orange belt) its better to work on your technique first before sparring.

But, if you really want someone to spar that badly (its just so fun), my dojang is in Lithonia. If you ever swing by, then maybe one of the students in my class (or even the instructor) will spar with you. I'll ask my insturctor, if you want.

By the way, what type of marial art do you take? Also, are you expecting full contact, half contact, ect?

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/21/05 04:48 PM

Yeah, I would love to chance to spar at your school. We are on opposite sides of Atlanta but it might be worth a 3 hour drive for some fun. I am not out to hurt anybody or anything. I guess it is like football. Who wants to have to sit on the bench for a year watching everyone else play before they are allowed to. I understand why he wants us to wait but its not like I haven't engaged in combat before. I usually get my hiney kicked but that's ok. I am not doing it to win. I just enjoy it for the sport of it. I guess half or full contact. I have usually only done half but have done full a couple of times. Was sore for a while after those.
Posted by: Gula

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/21/05 05:42 PM

I dont really see any reason to keep you waiting for a year to "be allowed" to sparr! Ask your instructor why you must wait?
Posted by: yamig

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/22/05 12:22 AM

Cool. I'll ask him about it, but I'm sure he won't mind. In fact, I think he actually would like us sparring against someone different.

But, I'll be gone for the weekend, so we'll have to schedule all this later. Privat message me later on if you still want to go through with it.

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/23/05 02:39 PM

Thanks Yamig, will do. Gula, I asked him and he seems to be more concerned about me hurting someone else than someone else hurting me. He is still getting to know me and is concerned if someone hits me wrong it will tick me off and I will tear into them will all 260 lbs or that I may just not be paying attention and accidentally hurt someone. He seems like he is becoming more receptive to letting me spar in a few months. I am the biggest person that goes there. Most of the other guys are about 5'11", 190 lbs or smaller. I dont have much stomach. I am just big all over and I guess that intimidates a lot of people. I have upping my Jui-jitzu classes to three a week and they line up in that class to wrestle with me. So, at least I feel like I am doing something.

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/25/05 03:41 PM

Last night, my instructor paired my up with a 120lb 14 year old for jui-jitzu. he said that I need to learn to focus on skill and less on strength. I understand his point but I didn't really feel like I was grappling. I had to be so careful. I felt like I was doing nothing more than tossing around a kid brother. It was fun but I did not really get anything out of it. It was hard to practice technique even because he was so much smaller and I was so afraid I would hurt him. He was about 5'6", 120 and I am 6'3" 260. His mother was watching and sweating bullets. I guess my problem is I want to jump right back into everything too fast. I would love to hook up with a black belt and go at it 100%. I know I would be creamed but I wouldn't have to worry about holding back and neither would be. Sorry to ramble but none of my friends understand my frustration or my draw to martial arts.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/25/05 11:48 PM

Hey Hoss, you're only about 1-2 hours away from me over here in Athens. Only 3 inches taller than me, but 100 lbs heavier, yikes!!

If you ever make it out this way or if I have time to head out there, maybe we can get together for a tussle. I may not show much, but I'm always up for a workout/asswhooping(more than likely mine) anytime.

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/26/05 12:28 AM

Hey Joel, that would be fun. Don't worry, I am not a crazy man. I am not out to really hurt anyone but do like to rumble just for the sport of it. This weekend I have to work on a paper and next my MA school is going to Dalton for a big competition. I can't participate yet but I am going to support my classmates. After that, I will have plenty of time.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/26/05 12:39 AM

Not worried that you're crazy, only been against bigger persons a couple of times, and never that much bigger.
My work schedule is pretty fierce, 6 or 7 days a week, but if/when you/I get a chance, it'd be great to meet up sometime.

Re: Finding sparring partners - 10/26/05 06:00 AM

Scratch out the if and lets just say "when". I think it would be a blast.I am off five days at T-giving and 16 days at Christmas. Will have plenty of time.