Contact Tournaments for Minors

Posted by: prospero

Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/14/05 09:26 PM

Does anybody know of any semi-contact fighting tournaments for teenagers? I'm really interested in fighting without all of this huge gear, although obviously I'll need some protection. I'm 15.

P.S. I do Shaolin Kempo, and I should say I'm interested in MMA.

Re: Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/18/05 12:46 AM

I'd love a response here.
Posted by: Hoss

Re: Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/18/05 02:16 AM

Sorry little dude. Don't think anyone meant to deliberately ignore your posting. I personally don't know of any. All of the tournaments in north GA seem to be only point sparring. I understand stand you desire to compete and your desire to practice what you have learned. I am asking around but no one knows of anything around here.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/18/05 12:14 PM

Wait on your instructors in a Class like Kenpo after learning the drills all you do is fight or do fighting drills. Wait until you learn something then you will have all the fighting that you can handle.

Some of our teen-agers skip fight night we fight so much, so sometimes I'll change the date and time when we usually do weapons or self defense to fight night pending out numbers. You can't escape learning how to fight in a MA club. BC you learn to fight by fighting. We have a street clothes night getting kicked by cowboy or combat boots (or any boot) hurts like hell but thats whats coming at you in the street you got to be ready for it.

Wait you will have so much figting you will be throwing up in the corners or sleeping sound on whatever side the black eyes not on. Look, learn and apply it takes more then a couple months. Usually white belts don't spar much the first couple months, What do you know? What can you use to fight with??? And you got to learn how to do it safely. White belts swing too wild and with nothing on it. We want to see techniques not wild swinging. Just being to the point, if you knew MAs you won't be in a beginers class or you would have patience. Thats one of the lessons learned, it will serve you well in life.

Re: Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/19/05 01:31 AM

I'm a green belt, actually. We don't have "beginner's classes" at my dojo, we just have classes separated by age, and I'm 15. My class ends at 18, I believe.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Contact Tournaments for Minors - 10/19/05 11:22 AM

Then you should have enough sparring what does your Sensei offer for continued sparring. Green belt is hardly the rank you want to start under ground no pad sparring. Do you know of any other MAs in your area, some other 4th-6th kyu of other styles that you can spar with to get use to no pad sparring, preferably buddies. You can loose some teeth & get ribs broke sparring with no pads, thats one reason dojos owners don't like doing it, its a liability.

For instance the roundhouse kick or punch that rocks your head in pads can break your nose or knock a tooth out, without pads. Fighting this way is closer to real fighting but its does have saftey issuses. Ask your Sensei if you are ready for this. 15yrs old is too young to walk around disfigured.