Wavemaster Dilema

Posted by: PTDragonofSteel

Wavemaster Dilema - 10/13/05 05:37 PM

Im a wavemaster owner that lives on the top floor in an apartment complex, what will best absorb the shock of the bag against the floor.
Posted by: onb

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/13/05 07:19 PM

What about attaching the top of it to the roof by a chain or rope and the bottom could move a bit... this should keep the thing from falling over and booming the neighbours. Aside from that, I don't know...
Posted by: CobraLionz

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/13/05 09:40 PM

I bought a wavemaster at dick's sporting goods I returned it the same day for the same problem you are having. It's about as loud as banging on drums but with an irregularity that will drive the neighbors bonkers. Hopefully you didn't buy it online. I feel your pain though
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/13/05 11:49 PM

If you place it closer to the wall, it will absorb some of the shock of the vibrations. but won't do that much. I had the same problem with mine, the downstairs neighbors came up and notified me that the spackle was falling off of the ceiling below me.

Now I'm in a one story, wailing way!!
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/14/05 04:16 PM

you could just take it up onto the roof and then pretty much all of the noise would be absorbed by your own apartment. then again i don't know how heavy or big a wavemaster is lol.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/14/05 11:43 PM

It holds at least 150-200lbs of water. I'm not carrying that thing anywhere.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/15/05 06:26 AM

fair enough. i'm all out of ideas then.
Posted by: Hoss

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/15/05 07:05 AM

Fortunately I live in a house so I don't have to worry about neighbors. But, my house is quite old and has a crawl space underneathe, providing for a very loud echo. I loaded mine up with about 275 pounds of sand (Sand is heavier than water but messier to put in the base). I had to put more bags of sand behind it to keep it from moving so much. Less movement of the base will allow for some less noise. The extra weight seems to help some. I also bought some 12"x 12" mat pieces that snap together and they seem to absorb some noice also. Living in an apartment with people below you will be a difficult situation to work with. Do you have a porch or balcony that you could put it on? You might also talk to your neighbors and ask them when would be a good time each day for you to train. They would appreciate that and would probably work with you.
Posted by: PTDragonofSteel

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/17/05 01:36 PM

Very true Hoss, they dont seem to mind anytime before 10 or so. But sometimes my roommates knock it a few times after that so I just want to find a way to solve that problem.
Posted by: Hoss

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 10/18/05 02:20 AM

Oh, yeah, the whole roommate thing is probably another posting in itself. The more I think about it, and I have also asked a couple of friends in construction, I don't know if there really is much you can do. Weighing mine down so that it doesn't bounce and move around helps a lot. But I had to fill it with sand and stack sandbags behind it. But with the actual punches, I honestly cant think of anything that would muffle the noise. Sorry.
Posted by: goju_girl

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 11/08/05 05:49 PM

as stupid as this sounds... you could always try bolting it to the floor
Posted by: Christie

Re: Wavemaster Dilema - 11/09/05 12:37 PM

I have the same problem but I figure we are all students in the building I live in and the people in the apartment below me are always blaring their TV and talking like they are trying to yell to someone on the other side of the world so they can deal with the sound of my bag hitting the floor.