Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble.

Posted by: Adre[n]aline

Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/09/05 07:47 PM

I have a resonable amount of muscle for my bone structure and have quite a bit of power behind my punches. The problem is that my ankles and wrists are pretty thin, so when i hit the bag at times my wrists can't handle the pressure. Sometimes the bend or it just doesnt feel right. I try things like wrist curls etc. but is there anythin else possible to help streangthen them. please help lol
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/09/05 07:51 PM

I have thin wrists as well. Make sure your joint alignment is proper. There should not be any bend in your wrists when you contact the bag.

Try punching with less power and really watching your wrists when you hit. Eventually, you will instinctively use the correct alignment with no problems.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/09/05 07:56 PM

Try a chishi or chairholds or a wrist flexor or knuckle pushups or a wrist roller or a simple hand squeezie or punch correctly!.There are infinate things to do, have fun and try them.

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/09/05 10:40 PM

thanks for the feedback. any more info would be nice.
Posted by: Gankaku

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/09/05 11:33 PM

I have to agree with an earlier post your wrist alignment must be off
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/11/05 09:20 PM

I have thin wrists too. MattJ said it best.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/12/05 01:56 AM

Ditto what Matt said. Also, until you have good alignment in your punches, do as Matt stated, and do not over power your strikes.

I have seen people strain their wrists when hitting a bag with out proper wrist alignment and conditioning so that the wrist bends inward, toward the forearm.

-B
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/12/05 03:21 AM

Matt was spot on. I to am plagued with girlie wrists, and I think you've got alignment problems. This is generally caused by a lack of impact work on pads, bag, makiwara etc.

The best way for you to play with this theory is to take your punches to a bag or have a friend hold the pads for you (although I'd prefer the bag for for this), and slowly but progressively work your punches on the bag. Start off very lightly and slowly, ensure that your wrist doesn't bend on impact, start ramping up the speed until the wrist starts buckling that's that point you know that you punching too hard with the current structure you're using. Slowly down a bit, play around with some different angles of the wrist.

Remember though that you need correct alignment throughout the entire body. Energy or power isn't fussy about when it'll jump out, if your shoulders not correctly positioned the power will leak out of it (usually injuring the thrower of the punch) or if elbow is out of line the power will leak there instead. Your ultimate aim of the punch is to ensure the 100% of the power leaves the body through the fist, not the shoulder, elbow or hip. Correct alignment is key, and slowly exploring your punch on the bag is a great way of getting instant feedback on your efforts. A structure is only as strong as its weakest point, and the bag will quickly highlight where that is.

Just make sure to go slowly at first, another major mistake people make is they get a nice ding with one shot and then start powering away and things start buckling. This is usually down to their body just not knowing the movement well enough, again slow it down, look at the alignment and correct mistakes and start again.

Hope that helps!

Gav
Posted by: bor8go

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/12/05 12:01 PM

start easy first. I would recomend hitting more to practice. Like punching bags start with a light bag then work your way up to a heavier, or punching sand. Start easy so you can make sure you have right alignment, once you have that down then when you increase the power your alignment gets tested/stronger/improves. I wouldn't say I have small wrist but they are not thick or big by any means. I used to have that problem where they would buckle under a strong strike, but I don't have that problem anymore and I can hit as hard as I like.

Re: Thin Wrists. Punch Trouble. - 10/12/05 06:21 PM

thanks everyone.,