Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick

Posted by: Kujaku

Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/04/05 02:13 PM

Hey guys,

I have been studying the martial art "Hapmudo" which was founded by 9th Degree Hapkido Black Belt, Grandmaster Yong Song Lee. I have been studying Hapmudo for the past year and whenever I spar (we do point sparring with armor and such), by instinct I allways tend to do sliding round kicks rather than a skip or sliding sidekick. I have noticed that because of this, I usually do make contact, but, no one notices because my opponent usually hits me in the head, and it is more obvious to see a head shot, than a body shot. So, I am wondering, what could I do to perhaps strengthen my sidekicks and train myself so that my sidekick becomes more natural for me? I am right handed and tend to fight with my right leg in front. I use my left hand to guard my head area, and my right hand to guard my lower body. I tend to lead with my right hand when punching. Anyways, if you have any questions about Hapmudo, check out the website: www.Hapmudo.net

Thx again for your Help.
Posted by: bor8go

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/06/05 09:17 AM

what are they using to get over your side kick?

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/06/05 04:40 PM

they arent, they are backhanding me in the head, and even though I made contact first with my roundkick, they dont give me the point. I dont understand. WHen I side-kick, no one gets through, but it just doesnt come as naturally to me as round kick.
Posted by: Gankaku

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/09/05 11:30 PM

Sounds to me like your kick is being jammed pretty easily and there countering over the top with a hand technique.
try to get to an outside angle before you attack.

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/10/05 05:05 PM

interesting, ill try that out. thx ^_^
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/11/05 09:21 AM

The only way to make your sidekick more natural is to practice it a lot. Throw them, one after the other for a demanding cardio workout as well.
Also try this on for size. Throw your round kick and learn to move your head, then you can counter their head shot.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/11/05 04:02 PM

He states - WHen I side-kick, no one gets through, but it just doesnt come as naturally to me as round kick.

Your side kick is effective because it is a longer kick that drives the attacker back. The roundhouse kick you need to slide to the outside as you kick so you are past his shoulder as you throw the kick or angle away on the other side to kick him across his ribs.

Remember the roundhouse kick is more like a Jab because it doesn't really drive a person back it may fold them or knock them to the side but not back. So kick and move.

The Side Kick is more like power straight right hand it will drive them back. Your side kick is better but your RHK is more natural, I'd use the front kick because it drives them back or the lean away rhk. Be advised you will still need to circle around him to stop him from blizing with his hands. Or hit him with your hands 1st after the kick giving them two things to score your kick or punch.
Posted by: ai-uchi

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 10/27/05 03:18 PM

you could solve the point by slamming your first round house kick into the mid section and not retracting it upon impact, this has three good points

1 the referee hears it at least
2 the opponent knows they are in for a fight
3 makes you feel better (cathartic)
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Side-Kick Versus Round-Kick - 11/11/05 04:35 PM

Hey Kujaku,
A few things with the side kick rather than the round kick is that the side kick will keep your opponent at the end of that kick. Round kick are good but they can be walked right through or the opponent can go to your non kicking side and totally make you waste your energy. One thing about the side kick is that alot of people throw them incorrectly for sparring. Make sure you are throwing your hips into the kick not just to leg this will add stopping power. Easy fix is "shadowboxing", bag hitting, partner assiting and just plain out sparring. Lead round kicks are nice to set up your side kick because the chamber can be intergrated into both which means I can fake round (headhigh) then side kick ribs or vice versa. Just experiment man and have fun. Also, spar lightly so you can work on things and don't hesitate to tell your sparring partner to calm down the power if its too much because your training to learn not to fear your partner.