Speed

Posted by: SHAO KHAN

Speed - 09/04/05 06:32 AM

How can you make your punches and kicks faster i have a quite fast front kick which is useful for sparring is it just constant praptice of the movements or is there some thing else i can do? Thanx
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Speed - 09/04/05 07:28 AM

Well the answer is quite simple, to punch faster all you need to do is to punch faster the practice will make your strikes faster.
There's a good article on that here
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Speed - 09/06/05 07:59 AM

Quote:

How can you make your punches and kicks faster i have a quite fast front kick which is useful for sparring is it just constant praptice of the movements or is there some thing else i can do? Thanx

The best way, in my experience, to train this is to regularly go all-out on a heavy bag.
Posted by: SHAO KHAN

Re: Speed - 09/06/05 03:31 PM

Thanx foundation
Posted by: Kujaku

Re: Speed - 10/04/05 02:16 PM

for me, I have noticed that weight training helps the speed of my kicks during sparring. Every time i get the chance, I do multiple sets of lunges and sqauts with and without weights.
Posted by: formless

Re: Speed - 02/03/06 07:38 PM

hey everyone,
my first post here. anyways, im an ex boxer, and to speed up your punches like nothing else i recommned a speed bag (everlast). kicks the heavy bag. once you get confident, put weights on your wrists and go at the speed bag. then weights on legs. start off with 5 lb on wrists 10 on legs and go from there. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL not to throw a punch to hard and mess up your arm. thats what worked for me. good luck!!
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Speed - 02/04/06 04:10 PM

Jeez, I thought this thread died ages ago.

Anyway I don't think punching with weights isn't such a good idea, since they mostly provide a downward force, which isn't the resistance you need. You might use those elastic bands for more resistance though.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Speed - 02/05/06 10:00 PM

Well, punching with weights will still help build strength which is always good. Remember if you're punching with weights you're not only fighting the weight but the centrifugal forces generated by any imperfections in your strikes, so the muscles worked are somewhat evened out.

Before you start improving on your speed, make sure that your technique is perfect. Practice in front of a mirror and make sure your timing is spot on, body rotation or whatever etc, all proper. Once you're sure of that, then start kicking a little faster, rotating your hips quicker, etc..
Posted by: swift

Re: Speed - 02/06/06 07:53 PM

This is going to sound very simple but I find that it works for me..
-practice what you want to accomplish
- example: if you want a fast side kick position yourself the way you would right before the release and kick.
- in other words isolate every punch and kick you want to be fast and continualy do each one- one at time as fast as you can for as long as you can and then do it again. This will discipline your breathing as well. Your body can only go as fast as your lungs will permit..
- another thing that help with being a good kicker is having strong abdominal muscles.. if your think yours are strong then make them stronger.
- to me speed and endurance go hand in hand.
- another thing that helps me is doing the motion slowly somewhat in a tai chi motion but some what different because I hold the kick suspended for an extented time and make my muscles work.
I find that this enables me to release my kicks with more ease making them trasition from stance to kick quickly.
DON'T FORGET:
-good old fasion running
-and especially the good old fashion jump rope