Scoring points.

Posted by: McSensei

Scoring points. - 08/13/05 05:24 PM

My club does point sparring. There I've said it.
I Know it's not flavour of the month, but I've got a question.
What are the winning techniques in your style? It seems to me that the only technique worth throwing is a Gyakuzuki, or reverse punch. It's got to the point where nobody even tries anything else.
My senior instructor is always encouraging us to go for more difficult techniques, but when it comes to competition day, if you try them the judges don't seem to want to know.
From what I see in other stles that I sometimes train with, ie Shotokan and Ishinryu, the same applies.
Is it like that where you are?
Posted by: Hawk1216

Re: Scoring points. - 08/14/05 02:34 PM

Well, I tell ya, I just got back from a large tournament in elgin Illinois, and I tell ya, backfists to the head seemed to be quite used and scorable, as well as side kicks. Personally, I've been working on Axe kicks (Which work very well) and spinning round kicks. Another that I enjoy is a distraction by bringing my right arm as if to punch, and then go for a ridge hand with my left hand while they are focusing on the right. All have worked quite well.

I have two sparring instructors, one whom says to keep it simple, another who whole heartedly enjoys the most fancy of movements. I tend to agree with the fancy movements, its just plain more fun! ENJOY IT!

Just get creative, it works.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Scoring points. - 08/15/05 06:35 AM

when I competed its fair to say that my 'scoring' techniques were as follows -

backfist
reverse punch
front hand jab
ridge hand (allowed in freestyle, not wkf)
front kick
round kick
side kick

The key is to work combinations to set up your point, work all techniques with a 'fake', footwork is key as is timing.

still its been a while since I trianed for points, in a strange way I do miss the 'competative' side that it brings but realise what i do now has far more value.
Posted by: Gankaku

Re: Scoring points. - 10/05/05 09:28 PM

Ridge hands are allowed in WKF there just not heavily used or scored by the Judges.
Posted by: ai-uchi

Re: Scoring points. - 10/27/05 03:22 PM

you should find that uraken out reaches a reverse punch, so counter those reverse punch obsessed numpties ( i happen to be one)

r you could try forcing some new rules when training for competition such as

cannot score the same technique twice in succession
limit them to certain areas for scoring iechudan versus jodan
limit techniques available

ps you need more than gyakazuki in international comps, as everybody has worked out how to muck up their timing
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Scoring points. - 10/27/05 03:35 PM

What I was taught and teach is combinations hands and feet not only does it give the referee something else to call other then RP, it gives you flow and helps carry over into you next level of sparring continous and self defense.

In the end they will call other things just to end the match before you beat other guy black and blue. You may loose but you still worked your combos and he knows who really won the match.

To win tourneys I'd say finger tip back fist/ridge hands and screaming but tapping rps and one leg skipping across the ring low high rhks. Raise your hand over your head when you touch him, or he touches you, shaking you head yeah. Seems to work????