People who move their hands around a lot.

Posted by: Christie

People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/01/05 11:26 AM

When sparring my dad he moves his hands around a lot. You never know when he's going to strike, how he's going to strike and where he's going to strike because of his random hand movements. He shows no signs of attacking until he hits you. It's quite effective, even more so that he has never had any formal training, but how do you defend against someone who does that.
Posted by: Hawk1216

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/01/05 11:35 AM

Personally, I would just say keep on the offensive. Since it is hard to defend against, make him defend against you.

My 11 cents.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/01/05 05:06 PM

Adopt his strategy, if you're trained and he isn't he'll have even more problems defending against that. But I think that there's no need for moving his arms like that, a skilled fighter should be able to attack as effective as your father's. Anyway it'll be good for your reflexes, the harder it is the more you'll learn. I bet you'll improve fast enough to block his attacks soon.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/01/05 08:17 PM

Stay just out of range and force him to have to move in to attacking you, thus tipping his hand (and committing to his attack). Develop your COUNTER punching.

-John
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/02/05 12:07 PM

take his legs out unless you're boxing or he flys liek a butterfly.... as well.
Posted by: Christie

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/02/05 01:50 PM

The biggest problem is that its my dad, I get really really nervous sparring him because I don't want to hurt him. So I refrain from hitting him hard sometimes even at all. I know I can't hurt him, him and my brother wrestle all the time and they just throw each other around but .. I don't I have a hard time when its him or my brother because I don't want to hit them so I shy off and lose.

It doesn't help that our sparring matches happen randomly when he feels he wants to instigate something to bug me and poke fun at my inability to "defeat him". He does this in the house, I worry we are going to break something lol.

Thank you everybody for your replies, they were very helpful
Posted by: Neko456

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/03/05 01:38 PM

Wrote - I have a hard time when its him or my brother because I don't want to hit them so I shy off and lose.

If U are just messing around I don't see aything wrong with that you respect and honor your Dad or brother. But if you are sparring in the honest, you need to at least hit him combo no real power to expose possible weakness. I'd really be [censored] if a guy I sparred with all the time had a really good, upper cut. And I was floored by a guy with only a decent one, just because my sparring buddy didn't want to hit me. I'd be [censored], not at the guy doing his best, but at my supposed buddy.

Sparring is a bout helping and learning, this won't happen if you don't try.

If its messing around in the house, I'd not worry about it. It seems just the thing some family memebers do with each others, especeially Men and boys, not much difference except the price of their toys.
Posted by: katsuhayai05

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/11/05 12:02 AM

Lmao my dad does that too. just learn grappling, wrestling, Bjj or whatever, take him down and fnish him from there thats how I win.
Posted by: webby

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 08/26/05 11:29 AM

"the best block no be there"<<<< dont run away,but dont be in hes atack range!! if hes good with his hands then u got to be good with your feet!! make him "open up"! through 2 or 3 body punches then come up with a roundhouse kick to his head!!!!
Posted by: Subedei

Re: People who move their hands around a lot. - 11/02/05 10:45 PM

If he's moving his hands around sporadically trying to fake you out for a punch, chances are he's probably not concentrating too heavily on defending himself. Side kick him out of the ring