Sparring partner help?

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Sparring partner help? - 05/10/05 01:40 AM

Aight, When I spar, some of the newer students/older and younger students like to move foward a lot. It's a chronic habit they have and is really annoying.
I try to get them to move around in all directions more and usually doesn't work. Good practice for me in circling and dodging, Sometimes doing it to them works but then we start wrestling. How do you guys and gals deal with these type of people, and what are some good things to do to get them to move back?

thanks
Posted by: Ace

Re: Sparring partner help? - 05/10/05 07:47 AM

thrust kick to testicles/ stomach. That should stop them moving forward.
Posted by: Dan_66

Re: Sparring partner help? - 05/14/05 11:16 AM

Everyone has a perticular way they spar, you want them to change to your way perhaps they are thinking the same thing. I am one of those guys that come forward I don't change to suit anyone I spar the way I want to as do my opponents I like to spar different people all the time so I can deal better with different methods of sparring. As for the trust kick to groin or stomack, works sometimes might work once then the person will be expecting it. The groin shot is a nono in the dojo for practic sparring unless accident I have had a few but never from a senior belt nor would it be tolerated.
Posted by: Xavier

Re: Sparring partner help? - 05/16/05 12:25 PM

I agree i but it is also helpful to the other students to practise a different way of sparring sometimes
Posted by: mantis_boxing

Re: Sparring partner help? - 07/31/05 02:49 AM

i suggest that if you feel there is a certain part of their technique that is vulnerable in the way they spar you should expose that weakness to them by attacking that weakness repetitively so that they can learn and realize for themselves what it is they are doing wrong. if you cant seize the oppurtunity to take advantage of the weakness you cannot stand, maybe it works for them. i had a bad habit of leaning in with my head first before throwing punches but after sparring a few times and me personally asking what it is that i was doing wrong that caused those openings, i changed those bad habits right away. not getting hit is better than getting hit. so in a nutshell instead of complaining to them what you dont like about their style or way of attack, kick their butts and maybe theyll change it on their own. i think
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Sparring partner help? - 08/04/05 06:26 AM

Quote:

Aight, When I spar, some of the newer students/older and younger students like to move foward a lot. It's a chronic habit they have and is really annoying.
I try to get them to move around in all directions more and usually doesn't work. Good practice for me in circling and dodging, Sometimes doing it to them works but then we start wrestling. How do you guys and gals deal with these type of people

I start wrestling WITH them.

Quote:

and what are some good things to do to get them to move back?

Hit them hard and be better at wrestling than they are.