Karate Tournament. Need help.

Posted by: DefenselessChild

Karate Tournament. Need help. - 05/07/05 01:26 PM

Up until now I've been sparring to simulate real life situations. I've pretty much been doing timed all out sparring sessions, not point sparring. However, I'm entering my first Karate-styled tournament at the end of the month and am unused to the point sparring system. In preparation for this I've been instinctively grabbing high TaeKwanDo style kicks, hitting at the throat and performing other illegal techniques in karate tournaments...

So I'm asking for some help. What're the most important differences in strategy between real life fighting and point sparring? Should I take an aggressive stance? Should I be patient and counter? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Edit: Oh yeah I take Wahlum Tamtui Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu if that helps.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Karate Tournament. Need help. - 05/09/05 06:10 AM

Back knuckles. When you train for point sparring, throw lots of back knuckles. Get used to fighting for points when you have the gloves on, and used to training for SD when the gloves are off. I don't know that you're going to be ready for a point sparring match by the end of the month.
Posted by: Dan_66

Re: Karate Tournament. Need help. - 05/17/05 12:17 AM

Dont waste your attacks. What I mean is don't go for a point unless you know the judges can see it. All the ones I have been at there is a centre judge and 4 corner judges. Make sure the centre judge can see your techniques or no points. Those high kick i love use them especially if sweeps are allowed a momentary hold leaves great oportunity for a sweep. Asuming you can block use that and move until you are in clear view of the centre judge before attacking. move around too this is good.

Dan