quickest practical application

Posted by: Anonymous

quickest practical application - 04/21/05 12:45 PM

out of shootfighting, mma, and jujitsu which of these can be learned in the shortest period of time to be able to use them in street self defense?

Re: quickest practical application - 04/21/05 01:34 PM

to clarify i am not comparing system/styles, this is more a question comparing time in training to use only for street. from what i understand in order to become proficient in aikio it may take several years as opposed to boxing one may become proficient enough to apply in a shorter period of time.

Re: quickest practical application - 04/21/05 05:27 PM

And to clarify on all of the styles that you asked about (not including jujitsu) they are all created with many martial arts in mind. You cant really find a "quick fix" martial art. That would be impossible! What you need to do is start with an art that does not have alot of complicated movements but alot of prinicple. Boxing,wing chun,tae kwan do,judo, ect. But one thing for you to really look for is that the basics are key. All of the complicated moves that you either see in UFC or in the movies can only be applied if you have mastered the basics. Thou they can become boring they are the bread and butter for you to start venturing out and looking to become a great fighter/martial artist. Once you have the basics of one art the others are easy to learn.
Posted by: Tengu51

Re: quickest practical application - 04/23/05 11:15 AM

Here is the problem with your question, and similarly with all the questions like "how can I learn to defend myself in a week" etc.

You can technically learn to throw a punch or kick very quickly, as it requires the least amount of complications. However, it doesn't mean that you will be capable of being good at striking after a few practice sessions.

That is what training is, learning a skill and then practicing the hell out of it. Learning how to apply a skill is what takes time, not really learning the skill itself.