Your Form

Posted by: Chang Wufei

Your Form - 04/06/05 01:47 AM

Many of us have trained in arts that have side stances and front stances, both have their advantages and weaknesses. A front stance is usually stronger, and all of your tools are in a position where they can execute a technique with minimal telegraphy, however you are less evasive.

A side stance gives your tools on the one side great speed and snap, and your dimensions are less, giving your opponent less surface to strike, but rear techniques can be easily telegraphed.

But the question is, when involved in a self defence situation where the aggressor squares off with you, which form would you use?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 03:34 AM

Side stance. Protects the vitals, including the "family jewels". I know front stances are useful sometimes, but IMO I'd rather protect myself first.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 06:11 AM

When squaring off? Natural/neutral stance. So, none of the above.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 06:16 AM

Neutral bow. Still some telegraphing from the rear, but kenpo uses alot of counters and lead hand/foot attacks to set up the power move from behind. And this is without sacrificing too much defense.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 07:13 AM

Eyrie

By neutral stance, I assume you mean a non-threatening standing position? If an attack is not only anticipated, but is seen prepared, would you really maintain a position with nothing guarding vital spots like your face?

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 07:48 AM

I normally train from a normal walking stance for SD. Simply because that's the stance I'm most likely to be in if I find myself in an SD situation. Changing stance takes time and in an SD situation a fraction of a second can make a big difference.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 09:11 AM

Chang

Since most "real" self-defense situations do not involve ANYONE "squareing off" with you.
I would have to say that I would use a "neutral" stance.

One of the larger problems of folks perceptions with MA is that many people train--at least in their heads--for a "lets step outside" kinda thing with the guy that used to bully them in high school.

"Real" self defense situations are seldom so clean cut.

Seldom do you "square off", seldom do you even know its coming until the attack is made.
Most of the time you simply don't have the chance to "square off" and get ready to fight.

And if you do?
I would recommend that you DON'T assume any sort of formal fighting stance.
Why let your oppt know your trained in ANY form of self defense?
Element of surprise might be all you need to win.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 04-06-2005).]

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 09:54 AM

90% weight on back leg (wing chun). Except I don't make it look like I wanna fight, and I continue to negotiate the situation. I just take a little step back and shift my weight.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 11:18 AM

Funakoshi said it best,"at first practice stances,then rely on your own posture." I don't think you want to break into a traditional stance in a real situation. All body types are different and so will be the posture of the practitioner.
Bruce Lee(and I hate to drag him into this) recognized this and disliked stances. He relied on his own posture.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 11:33 AM

Neutral...with weight on back leg for manueverability...KF style. I try to maintain a posture that does not say I'm ready to fight. We actually do not have a "square off" stance for that matter.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 07:54 PM

Hmmm.....looks like a few folks beat me to the punch. Jeez I'm getting too slow in my old age [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] (Maybe I should have adopted a more offensive stance? - Sorry, couldn't resist).

Wu Fei, did that answer your question? If not, it's what cxt said.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 08:39 PM

Yes, neutral stances are usually the best as far as element of surprise goes, and just the nature of the situation. I was asking about the form side of it because, surprisingly, I have been involved in three altercations in which the other guy took a "mock-boxing" stance and attempted to square off with me, which surprised me because I thought something like that would be rare. Two out of the three situations allowed me to settle it without any strikes to either of us.

Re: Your Form - 04/06/05 10:18 PM

Sorry, I should clarify. I do primarily aikido & jujitsu (but I've done TKD, karate before so I know what you are talking about).

There are no stances as such. Remember that stances are simply transitory postures, i.e. you move into a stance to momentarily maintain stability or obtain postitional advantage, before moving again.

Certainly none used in squaring-off or self-defense situations. Even in practice sparring, we never adopt a stance. The only time a "stance" appears is during the "kake" (execution) of the technique.

Every stance has its weakness. Remember the draw a line joining your toes on each foot and bisecting the line in the perpendicular plane?

In all honesty, it doesn't matter whether you're side-facing or front-facing your attacker, but the depth of your stance does. A deeper stance sacrifices mobility for stability. A higher, more natural stance provides mobility (which is what you want in a SD situation).