knee attack not clear

Posted by: Anonymous

knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 05:32 AM

hi ive been reading these posts for quite some time now, and i have noticed the amount of advice for a certain type of knee attack, anyway i am not exactly clear on what people mean by this and would like to kno how to execute it properly and what part of the knee to hit in detail for any type of confrontation
many thanks

Re: knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 08:53 AM

The experts on knees are the Muay Thai guys but we also have them in TKD. The principle is that in close (clinch) range you can't throw a kick so instead of extending your foot into your opponent, you swing your knee into their solar plexus/groin/head (depending on where you are and how tall you are). The motion in the TKD version is similar to a kick chamber except your knee raises higher and more quickly and is extended in front of you further. You typically want to raise the knee moving it towards your centreline at about an angle of 15-30 degrees to the ground. At least that's how I do it.

EDITED BY LEO: This strike is not the one being discussed, the description remains for anyone interested however.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-29-2005).]

Re: knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 09:05 AM

lol i appreciate u replying but i didnt mean that type of knee attack, i meant the 1 where u snap the oppenents knee backwards with your foot

cheers neway

Re: knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 09:12 AM

Oopz [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG], well you were a bit unclear about it. I'll just delete the image to speed up peoples loading of this page.

Were you talking about a knee kick? I'm not sure because I haven't been keeping up with this forum.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-29-2005).]

Re: knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 09:30 AM

lol yeh i was talking about a knee kick
iv heard its very effective but only if u hit it in the right place and at the right time

Re: knee attack not clear - 03/29/05 10:18 AM

So what you are talking about is a kick to the knee joint. This is done by striking the knee in a 45 or 90 degree angle usually from the inside or outside delivered to the side of the knee joint. This is a serious attack and should not be done in a school yard situation.

I'd suggest using the stop kick used to the mid/lower shin or lower thigh just above the knee, this attack/counter while the assailant is in motion can knock him to the ground or at least stop his forward progress, can cause temporay limping.

I'd suggest a quick lean away (guards up around your head) snapping kick that comes back quickly to avoid counters if you miss.