knife defense

Posted by: Anonymous

knife defense - 03/28/05 03:27 PM

How can I defend myself against a knife attack? I'm worried that someone will attack my legs which will destroy my ground fighting ability. (The ground is the position in which I'm most dangerous from what I've been told)
Posted by: JKogas

Re: knife defense - 03/28/05 03:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rainbowtiger:
How can I defend myself against a knife attack? I'm worried that someone will attack my legs which will destroy my ground fighting ability. (The ground is the position in which I'm most dangerous from what I've been told)[/QUOTE]

How about running away from someone with a knife? That way you'll be able to USE your legs to defend the knife attack.

-John
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: knife defense - 03/28/05 03:47 PM

John,
Usually good advice, but you are obviously unaware that rainbowtiger is a wheelchair user.
Sharon

Re: knife defense - 03/28/05 04:18 PM

i'm not an expert on self-defense from a wheelchair, but maybe you could keep yourself turned so that your strong side of toward the attacker, basically a fighting stance, and not squared off

-or-
get a gun, nobody's going to do a weapons search on someone in a wheelchair.

Re: knife defense - 03/28/05 06:36 PM

Salutations!

Well as a knife instructor, I can tell you that this is a tough question, but I'll try my best.

If you are in a wheel chair the best you can do is get away, prevention and awareness are your best weapons. If you are trained in knife fighting then you know what to carry; if trained in firearms, well, you know. I really do not reccomend to try to disarm a knife especially from a trained fighter. I tried this last week with my advanced students class and myself was only successfull only 50% of the times, the rest of the times I either dissarmed the knife but got cut or didn't dissarmed the knife at all and got cut.

If you are unarmed and have to dissarm the attacker (assuming you have no other choice) the last thing you want is to go to the ground. A flailing opponent on the ground will cut you many times before you can control him; I don't care how good of a grappler you are, you will get cut, possibly fatally. Another thing, if an assailant is going to use a knife against you, more than likely he'll stab at your face or midsection, your legs are a bit of a low target, he'll go for the easiest one; what's at reach. Also, do not worry too much about this, except at certain ponts, the legs are largely muscle and can take damage better. Worry about the tendons, ligaments, veins and arteries located at key points in the human anatomy http://www.innerbody.com/image/cardov.html . Those are dangerous if cut.

As for a dissarm, just keep your guard up and try to protect your arms with a heavy piece of clothing, if you get a grip on the knife (even the blade itself) or knife arm, DON'T LET GO! Apply any technique you want but make it count, no second chances here. Go for broke and fight dirty, no shame on that if you life is on the line.
It is all a matter of how bad you want to live and fight back.

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman H.I., American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: knife defense - 03/28/05 08:19 PM

If wadowwomen is correct that rainbow tiger is handicapped...I think his chances of running away are slim.

As most knife attacks are ambushes, any ones chance of running away is slim.

The best way that I can illustrate this is; someone intent on killing you will stab you..period. It takes too long to carve you up with slashes. So do not get stabbed.

Many knife attacks, victims will have defensive cuts on their arms and hands from slashing and stabbing. That is because it is natural for a victim to put up his arms for protection..and basicaly ride it out. While you can do that against someone hitting you with punches, you will not last long against a weapon.

My advice to anyone is to strike and strike and strike. First the first moving object to strike is the incoming arm. Go for the radial nerve. You may receive multiple thrusts...that is ok keep striking. Second if your attacker is close enough strike their throat. Or in your case because you are low profile, wheelchair, the groin, bring his head down and then the throat.
Arm (radial nerve), throat; repeat until you get help or your attacker is down. Then strike him in the throat again and kill him. Harsh, yes but that is what you have to do.
Forget about wrist locks and the rest of the BS. Grappling in this case...well probably would not work for you. You'll end up getting overpowered and stabbed.

Knife fighting is not like a Segal movie. It is basically an assasination. That means however, that you just don't take it. Go offense, Strike where I told you, forearm (radial)and throat. You may come out ok.
Regards Ed

Re: knife defense - 04/01/05 04:24 PM

he never said he was in a wheelchair, just that he didnt want his legs cut up

Re: knife defense - 04/01/05 05:09 PM

If you had read previous threads by him you would know he is in a wheelchair.