Your opinions

Posted by: Alex89

Your opinions - 03/23/05 11:59 AM

Hey, so I have an oral presentation for english class. I chose the the subject of martial arts and self defense. This is what I am planning to say: In todays world there is a lot of controversy between the martial atrs and self-defense. A lot of people think that the martial arts is useless as a form of self-defense. This is how the martial arts was started: Martial arts started 2000 years ago in India. There was an Indian prince who traveled to the shaolin temple in China, and thaught this martial arts to the defenseless monks. After a while a lot of country's modified this martial art to suit their own needs of defenses.
That means that the martial arts were indeed invented for self-defense. Martial arts=Art of war. There are a lot of people who also think that the martial arts is just a punch and a kick and that anyone could do a punch or a kick. But it is scientifically proven that if you want to perfect a kick or punch you have to do 500 repetitions of that punch or kick. Lets say that you were a regular person with no martial arts training, you would porbably be able to land the kick good on the person the first time, but the second time you might not, because of your lack of training.
Although there are forms of martial arts that you maybe woudn't use in a real self-defense situation, for example Iaido, that martial art uses a sword.
A lot of people also critisize tae kwon do as being a sport. That depends in what organization you sign up in, and it also depends if you attend a McDojang.
Finally I would like to say that the martial arts are not useless for self-defense. If they were useless they wouldn't of have been invented in the first place. It also depends on how much you train in your type of martial art. Because as they say,"There is no Gain without Pain".
I will probably have to touch it up a bit more. What do you guys think of it?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Your opinions - 03/23/05 01:09 PM

I think that sums the topic up pretty well. You might want to tell people that self defense is more about attitudes, such as respect for others, discipline and level-headedness, than fighting techniques. This is one of the ways that martial arts helps with self defense, it gives us the self-respect and knowledge to avoid confrontation and walk/run away from a dangerous situation.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Your opinions - 03/23/05 02:04 PM

As an exercise in English it's poorly written. There's someone on this forum who teaches English (I can't remember who) that would pull it apart.

As an explanation of MA's, it's basic, filled with inaccuracies, and based more on rumour and anecdotes than facts.

As such I think you'll probably get a "D".

Hope you've got time to work on it before your exam.

JohnL
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Your opinions - 03/23/05 03:50 PM

Hi Alex [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

It is difficult for us to judge how good your presentation is, without knowing how old you are, and whether it is a primary (grade) school, a Secondary (high) school or a college exam.

Would you say how old you are please?
Thanks
Sharon

Re: Your opinions - 03/24/05 10:59 AM

I'm in grade 10, I'm 15 years old. I just wrote that really fast, and its due in 2 weeks anyway.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Your opinions - 03/24/05 03:52 PM

Hi Alex,

You have some good sentences. Some of them would probably benefit from being rearranged.

After talking to your teacher about what he/she is looking for you may want to try this method:

Come up with three topic sentences. For example:

1. A lot of people think that the martial arts is useless as a form of self-defense.
2. There are a lot of people who also think that the martial arts is just a punch and a kick and that anyone could do a punch or a kick.
3. A lot of people also critisize tae kwon do as being a sport.

Then write a paragraph explaining or refuting the statement in the first sentence. Most of this material you have already written.

Add an introduction paragraph that sort of outlines what you are going to talk about. Then write a short conclusion that summarizes your presentation.

Proof read the final draft carefully for spelling and grammar errors. There were a lot of errors in your first draft, but that's ok that's why it's a draft (just be sure to fix them)

Good luck

--Dallas

Re: Your opinions - 03/24/05 07:13 PM

Thanks for responding everybody!