Toughening up

Posted by: Anonymous

Toughening up - 03/21/05 04:02 PM

Hi im thinking of getting in shape in the summer and may take up a 'fighting art' as such. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to prepare my body? E.g like improve stamina, toughen hands e.t.c?

Thanks in advance
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Toughening up - 03/21/05 04:36 PM

Best thing to do would be to get into overall fitness. Train your cardio and muscle groups around 4 times a week, there are many routines on this forum to help beginners, check the strengthening forum. Also if you are in a striking MA (punches/kicks/etc) you could begin stretching your muscles lightly every day (look in the stretching forum for information). If you are in a grappling MA, building forearm strength by doing wrist curls with a barbell/dumbells and bicep and tricep curls could also help. (Again, check the strengthening forum)

It could help to know that there are 3 types of grip strength, pinch strength, grip strength and crushing strength. If you are doing a grappling MA it uses all these strengths. You can find information about how to train them in these forums and they are easy to find on www.google.com.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-21-2005).]