I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo?

Posted by: Anonymous

I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/10/05 07:49 PM

So I'm finally going to start studying martial arts, something I've been meaning to do all my life. I've done my research and had pretty much settled on Jujutsu being the form for me. Tonight while doing more research, I found that Kenpo might appeal to me more.

My main goal in studying martial arts is to feel secure, in control, and safe in unexpected situations. Living in a city, you're never sure when those will pop up, and while I haven't had many encounters such as this (knock on wood), I would like to know that I am full prepared.

Jujutsu seems to focus a lot on immobilizing an attacker by any means necessary, and seems to be a very defensive based task, but possibly with less focus on attacking than I'd like. Kenpo seems to concentrate more on using your fists as deadly weapons, should the need occur.

Basically, if I find myself attacked on the street, I want to be able to immobilize the person, and I don't want them getting back up to ask for more.

I've also noticed that people in this forum place boxing as the first in a list of the most practical martial arts. Is this referring to your typical Rocky/Sugar Ray training, or another more martial arts based way of training?

So, based on this, which way should I lean? I think I can find classes for both in my area. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by CrouchingLiger (edited 03-10-2005).]
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/10/05 07:54 PM

jujutsu's goal is to immobilize the attacker by either rendering them dead or mechanically unable to continue fighting.
I would take good jujitsu over karate any day.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/10/05 08:38 PM

Try them both and see what you like. Not all schools are fair representatives of their styles. Some are superior and some barely qualify as average.

You be the judge.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/11/05 08:21 AM

Ju-Jitsu. In my opinion its the most practical of them all.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/11/05 08:38 AM

While I personally study Jujutsu, I would reccommend looking at both schools and trying to figure out what works best for you.

Some people are built to be strikers and some people are built to be grapplers. It's a good idea to start with what you are naturally good at and when you are technically proficient at that move on to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

Many schools have a hands-on introductory lesson, try both and see what you enjoy more.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/11/05 10:58 AM

I thnk Leo_49 made a good point, find out what you do best as a base and either learn to counter waht you lack or add to it. But don't force yourself to do anything unnatural it won't be fun and you will want to quit.

Note: All of it is not going to be fun, nobody likes being choke out and revieved, both arts will do that, no escape. In my day thats how it worked.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/11/05 11:36 AM

Just go to the schools personally and see their training personally. Both Jujutsu and Kenpo are good styles. It's more of a matter if the school trains them properly for combat. You usually can't go wrong with Jujutsu as usually students that come out of a Jujutsu school have a clue bout fighting. Kenpo's a good style if you join up with a good school. If all schools taught their respective styles properly to be effective, only then it's a matter of choosing style. But unfortunately not all schools out there teach good martial arts, you'll have to use your better judgement if the school is realistic in their approach to using their respective style for fighting. The styles are never at fault but usually it's more of a poor training methodology of a school that weakens a style to the point of nonusable in a fight that's at fault.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 03-11-2005).]

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 12:11 AM

Salutations!

Well, I'll go with Flech on this one. Try them out and see what you like. All systems properly taught are good. Remember that the student makes the system. Jujutsu is a very well rounded MA. Kenpo is so as well. I have studied both. Nevertheless I have stuck with Kenpo (American Kenpo) because it allows me the flexibilty on techniques I like. Also, the systems teaches everyday weapons instead of the traditional weapons you see in Kobudo. Why? Because those are the weapons you might find or that you might be carrying, i.e., knife, pole or club. But in the end go with what you like and enjoy! Train as you fight!

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman, H.I. American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 12:28 AM

Nice to see you back around Carlos!
Definitely listen to his advice here. Try them both and train as you fight!

All American Goju Karate

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 12:56 AM

since u want this for street fighting i would definatly choose jujitsu over kenpo because most "americanized" karate forms are for for sport then self defense but there are exceptions but if u want a really good self defense style i recommend bujinkan ninjutsu at least research it

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 01:01 AM

but i do suggest trying both of them

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 01:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:
Nice to see you back around Carlos!
Definitely listen to his advice here. Try them both and train as you fight!

All American Goju Karate
[/QUOTE]

Salutations!

Thanks! I've been around. I learn more by reading the posts than writing. So I choose to stay on the sidelines most of the time.

Orlando, FL

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 01:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newbreed:
since u want this for street fighting i would definatly choose jujitsu over kenpo because most "americanized" karate forms are for for sport then self defense but there are exceptions but if u want a really good self defense style i recommend bujinkan ninjutsu at least research it [/QUOTE]

Salutations!

Actually, you are right and wrong. Yes many americanized sytems have been heavily influenced by the "sport" version of the art. But so have many other styles of MA as well! Almost all MAs have a sport version, Jujutsu has Judo and BJJ, TKD has Olimpic TKD, Kenpo and Karate have Sport Karate, Kenjutsu has Kendo, Kung Fu has Wu-Shu and they are even working on a form of sport Aikido (oh the humanity!). It is not just an americanized karate phenomenon it is just a matter of $$$, i.e., sport sells. Now Ninjutsu is another well rounded MA but it is hard to find quality instruction (so many frauds out there!). In the end, find out what is available in your area and choose, unless you are willing to travel for instruction.

Orlando, FL

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 02:20 AM

whitedragon I need to warn you.

The collected work of newbreed.

Quote:

im not saying the technique is bad i dont kno cuz i dont take karate i take ninjutsu but i got into a street fight with some cocky karate teacher who tried that on me and it seemed very telegraphed and doing it leaves so many targets open but maybe it was just that he did it incorrectly

im sure u have all heard of that saying before right well from what ive seen here so far has been a bunch of talk on energy for its basic functions and most of the people in here are saying u cant make a "ki ball" or no touch KO's or hell even flying (just as an example not saying it is possible but u never kno)who are u to say u cant do those things most of u think that because its in cartoon shows right well if u would read stories from all around the world in acient times and more present times you would see these things have been said to be done a long time before dragonballz and stuff like that what im trying to say is just think outside the box and anything is possible

ive been training for awhile now and i want to join some sort of fighting competition but the only ones i know of are the major ones like the ufc anyone know of any

yes levitation is possible and yea it does take awhile but not a lifetime i cant do it but an old friend/teacher of mine is able to do it like 4 inches of the ground and if u channel you energy wrong while doing it you get sick and throw up ive seen him do it before

i take ninjustsu muay thai boxing and jujitsu and h.u.d stands for housing and urban development and i live in pa
do research on things u cant find the best hidden secrets in the phone book u have to look for them (not saying that the druids have the best hidden secrets they have some interesting ones though)

what does energy mean to you???

i do unorthodox training the the woods near my house

i know its not just learning the same thing over and over but if u people wouldnt take things so seriously here u would realize i mean your told the same things anyone i asked or anywhere i go about energy im told all the same things and its not bad stuff ive just heard it before and i like to know new things i practice the asain style most but mixing it all brings it in a whole new prospective

ok im not here to talk real estate im tired of people in here asking me

oldman your lost in your own ignorance your nothing but a fool i didnt come into these forums to argue with people i came in here to find answers but insted i find childish people who think they're the best and the smartest and that oldman is your weakness
Quote:

Just thought you should know.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/12/05 03:08 AM

A true Master indeed... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Orlando, FL

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/14/05 10:18 AM

Kenpo has some ground work in it and if its Am Kenpo it is an effective street fighting system with alot of strikes the average street fighter won't see coming.

Some Jujitsu the way it being taught now is more like Judo with concentration on Grappling & submitting a person. Real Jujitsu has more strikes and they try to break you while/before they throw you. It can be a effective street art, once you learn to enter/get inside his striking zone safely.

In the street I've used Jujitsu techniques to control and subdue an assailant. As a Bouncer/BG/Security & Cop.

Where as my striking art I use more in full out fights to KO or persude the person to take another course of action. But it is less control and more fury.

In a miaming or Kill incident the Te & Jujitsu counters looks almost alike. It will most likely involve a positioning hold and finishing strike or twist.

Rarely will you want to end a encouter grappling on the ground, Concrete scars you up and its hard to look out for blindside attacks. But if you have to, ya have to.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/14/05 07:08 PM

Jujutsu and Kenpo are really generic terms in MA. Jujutsu could vary from Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujutsu to Gracie JiuJitsu. Kenpo can be Ed Parker's American Kenpo, or you could be talking about Chinese Kenpo.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/15/05 01:50 PM

I've trained in both. Both are very effective fighting systems.
I find that the type of training becomes very important at this point. JuJitsu is very "hands on" and allows you to immediatly asses how effective the technique is against different types of opponents. On the other hand, some kenpo schools teach "air karate" and the contact is minimal.
My observations are that the reason trained martial artists often get the snot beat out of them in a streetfight is because they are not used to contact, unlike wrstlers and boxers. Taking that first hit (or two) can be a dibillitating event if one has not properly prepared for it. Therefore, find a system that trains for real world - and that includes some contact. My atemi-ryu jujitsu class does just that.
Also, JJ teaches more restraints to augment their deadly techniques. On the other hand, kenpo just nonstop destroys someone foolish enough to cross paths with you. Both are great - hope that my insight proves helpful.

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/16/05 12:52 PM

Study both systems

Re: I need to decide: Jujutsu or Kenpo? - 03/21/05 07:26 AM

ok i'm going the ju jitsu route, that seems to be the consensus. eventually i would like to switch it up and try something new, even boxing maybe. muay thai looks scary though, i have a glass nose.