I truely love reading these posts

Posted by: Anonymous

I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 01:35 PM

They make me Laugh! Most street fights last anywhere between 1 to 10 seconds. I hope you guys realize Sparring does not make you a good street fighter. Sparring makes you better at sparring.

The way to become a good street fighter fighter is to go out and do it. It is that simple. But Beware!!! You will spend plenty of time in the court room and in county jail. to gain that experiance.

If someone pulls a knife on you RUN!!!!!!! Or be prepared to be cut. or possibly stabbed to death.

I read the Gun to the head thread and again Laughable. this is real life not some episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

Lets just try to be real.

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 03:16 PM

Yes it does. So does "self defense".

Both need to be practiced for real life efficacy.

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 03:36 PM

I read and posted on the Gun to the head Topic, most Law enforcement, Security amd Military train for just such an extreme situation. Its been proven that if you train/prepare for such an event you are better able to respond to it, when it happens. It works sometimes other times the Officer is injuried or dies. But the success rate is high enough to be a valid method of training. Definitely the Man with the weapon has the advantage.

But if you think its impossible or unatainable then you don't have a chance.

I agree that if a guy pulls a knife on you you should try to keep your distance, but if he too close to run or move want do you do?

We train the close quarters knife defense scenario it limits both movement to definite moves as if in prison or if a guy really wanted to use a knfe on you. You fight the way you train. If you train with hope and reality you fight that way.

If you have no hope/plan or think its in vain to try to live, then you will surlly die in these encounters.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 03:37 PM

Yes I agree some of the post and the techniques suggested are terrible.
But
As I expect that running away is a logical answer for some, what about those who can not. Example a man with his wife and kids, an elderly man or a person who simply can not run all that well.

What do you suggest they do? Be a victim?

Self defense has validity and this forum as others is a good place for expressing those views, oppinions and ideas.
Like watching TV, you have to select what you think is appropiate.
Ed
Ps as you are a TKD instructor you must know that the most of the techniques you do is BS. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 03-07-2005).]

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 03:50 PM

Sa Bum Nim:
I see by your profile that you are a TKD instructor. I find it hard to believe that you would not teach your students to defend against knives. Running away is not always an option, so we should just lay down and let ourselves be stabbed to death? No offense but I'm glad I never had you as an instructor.

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 03:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sa Bum Nim:
They make me Laugh! Most street fights last anywhere between 1 to 10 seconds. I hope you guys realize Sparring does not make you a good street fighter. Sparring makes you better at sparring.

The way to become a good street fighter fighter is to go out and do it. It is that simple. But Beware!!! You will spend plenty of time in the court room and in county jail. to gain that experiance.

If someone pulls a knife on you RUN!!!!!!! Or be prepared to be cut. or possibly stabbed to death.

I read the Gun to the head thread and again Laughable. this is real life not some episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

Lets just try to be real.
[/QUOTE]

I do actually agree with much that is said here, however I disagree with other parts.

I agree about running being your first choice. Not only does this take you away from danger, it also puts you in good legal grounds for a self defense claim. If you can't run, you're unlikely to be able to defend yourself either. Move away as quickly as possible and make a lot of noise, also carry a taser, pepper spray or other weapon to defend yourself. (Personally, I disagree with lethal weapons for self defense but that's a choice people have to make for themselves)

There is no comparison between sparring and street fighting but you there's also no comparison between street fighting and self defense. Self defense is more bash and dash.

Street fighting is certainly illegal in most countries.

I believe weapon defense is possible but extremely dangerous. However, I reckon if you have nothing to lose by trying to defend yourself, then there's still a chance that you could pull it off successfully.

I'd also like to add that the best way to defend your self is to not get into the situation where you have to fight to defend yourself.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snakeeel:
Sa Bum Nim:
I see by your profile that you are a TKD instructor. I find it hard to believe that you would not teach your students to defend against knives. Running away is not always an option, so we should just lay down and let ourselves be stabbed to death? No offense but I'm glad I never had you as an instructor.

[/QUOTE]

Don't get cornered.

FTR, I agree weapon defense techniques are better than nothing.

Weapon defense techniques are apparently incredibly hard to pull off against an assailant with any experience using the weapon. (Haven't learned them myself)

But what about concealed weapons, where a person don't realise there's a weapon until it's in their spleen?

What happens when there are multiple attackers with weapons?

Sure, arm yourself with the best techniques possible and fight like hell until you get to safety if you are cornered. Pick up improvised weapons you find around you. Throw any object not bolted to the floor at your attackers. Go all out. But first, teach how *not* to get into these situations.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
Ps as you are a TKD instructor you must know that the most of the techniques you do is BS. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure TKD can easily be modified for SD purposes. It holds many of the same punches and elbow techniques as Karate, Muay Thai and Boxing. Certainly we could learn to clinch and knee very easily and powerfully. The only real flaw is that there's no grappling until later black belt levels. I personally cross train to counter this.

www.nononsenseselfdefense.com

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-07-2005).]
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 05:57 PM

While it is really up to the fighter and his abilities, my comment was based on the average TKD guy trying to kick my head off, or some of those other fancy kicks.
I taught a ground fighting class to several TKD blackbelts. Their balance was pathetic. Do not even ask about ground skill. This is what I have experienced. I think they spend too much time doing their WTF katas.
Ed

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/07/05 10:48 PM

Oh I teach knife and gun defense don't get me wrong. But lets look at this realisticly When defending against a knife be prepared to get cut and I advise my students of this.

Ed you seem to go with the majority of people thinking TDK is not self defense oriented.

All eastern arts originate at the same place. Through the generations they have been changed,called different things, manipulated, and bastardized.
Self defense does not mean defensive as most people are taught. There is nothing defensive about any of the eastern arts. The secrets to the arts are still highly guarded.

Btw I guess I'm not the average TKD guy then. Since my first BB was in Shoa-lin kung-fu over 20 years ago. I also now hold rank in Xing-I, Baqua Chang, ITF, and WTF TKD [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Sa Bum Nim (edited 03-07-2005).]

Re: I truely love reading these posts - 03/08/05 12:46 PM

I agree with Sam most of the TKD guys here have crossed trained in a more street reality art. And because they can kick fast to head they are really fast (when they concentrate) kicking to the groins, knees and hip joints.

TKD at one time and still is at some school a good self defense art, some Mudukwan schools have bleed off Hapkido like techniques.

If you train reality base you will fight reality base, regradless of the system.

I will do head kicks on the street if the guys falling (really a shoulder or stomach high kick) or teetering to fall. I don't want him getting back up, until I leave. And if he attempting to get up on the ground thats my favorite head kick.

A lot of times its not what you do, Its when you do it.

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 03-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 03-08-2005).]