Gun defense?

Posted by: Anonymous

Gun defense? - 03/06/05 11:53 AM

How should wheelchair users like me ourselves against a close-range gun attack? Should I apply a wrist lock and throw them to the ground or maybe some sort of judo choke and what about some pressure point strikes would any of them work? I was thinking: 1)immobilize the hand w/ the gun using a wrist lock
2)Run my chair into his knees and strike between his eyes upon contact w/ the knees
3) Using the immobilized wrist spin him so that his back facing me, apply a Dragon Sleeper as tight as I can leave it on until he passes out.
This is defense for a frontal gun attack will it work?
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Gun defense? - 03/06/05 06:36 PM

Forget wrist locks, you are not mobile enough.
If faced with your situation I would choose to strike the wrist area, radial nerve, with the attempt to knock the gun out of your assailant's hand.
Not knowing the full extent of your disability I would not advise you to grapple. If you mess up the wrist lock you might be in a worst situation than someone more mobile.
What ever you do you will have the elemnt of suprise on your side. Who would think that someone in a wheel chair would or could effectivly defend themselves. That could be the edge that you need.
Ed

Re: Gun defense? - 03/08/05 04:44 PM

While pride may urge self-defense by martial arts, going to a gun fight without a gun just doesn't make any sense. I suggest a Glock 26 neatly concealed on your chair. I'd save the wrist locks for an unarmed attacker. Anti-gun? Then pepper spray.

Re: Gun defense? - 03/10/05 07:14 AM

When someone points a gun at you, you need to do the following:

1.) Discuss other options that person has and that things don't have to escalate further.

2.) Cry and tell them you have a family to support. Tell them your life story.

3.) Get into the fetal position and rock back and forth.

But seeing as how you're in a wheelchair, have you should spend a little extra and get a bullet proof bubble around your wheelchair.

Re: Gun defense? - 03/11/05 11:17 AM

I agree with the idea of fight fire with fire. The MA is great thing but in the end it will lead you back to the gun, especially in wheel chair.

If a assailant is so callous as to pull a gun on a disabled person, they should be shot. You need a plan to have the gun available and unseen until you need to use it.
No matter what the movies or Tv show, defense against a gun, don't have stack in the unarmed favor.

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 03-11-2005).]