Strike to the vegas nerve video

Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 05:15 AM

Hey check this video out.
http://www.steakandcheese.com/downloads/Karate_Pimp.wmv

An alternative to headhunting ie boxing. THe defender instead of using his fist uses his forearm, more surface area, and strikes the attacker in the neck, vegas nerve. The results speak for its self.
In the military we used similar techniques. If we were out in the field and broke our hand using boxing methods, our mission could be comprimised. So we used forearms and elbows alot.
I thought the video was interesting enough to show. The situation could of gone into the grappling (gracie method). Which would of taken alot longer to subdue the attacker.

Enjoy
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 03-03-2005).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 10:08 AM

I don't remember where I saw it, but I have seen this clip before, very effective.

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 10:09 AM

Ed,

Very interesting....and women do not deserve to be beat up even if they are ..."entertainers" for a buck.

-B
Posted by: schanne

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 10:26 AM

Love it! What was that a Sudo to the side of his face, geez he dropped him very quickly.

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 11:33 AM

No it was a forearm strike to the side of the neck.
Ed

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/03/05 11:50 AM

Love that punch. Very quick way to end a fight.

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/22/05 10:56 AM

Salutations!

Yet another successful brachial stun story! What would LEOs do with out it? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Yours in the Spirit of the Warrior-Scholar,

Carlos M. Roman H.I., American Kenpo Karate Studios
Orlando, FL

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/22/05 04:30 PM

brachial? isn't that area in your bicep? It is a Vegas nerve shot. Not a punch but a foream strike. And by the way that is a basic strike taught in Scars, TFT.
Thought I'd add a log to the fire for all those who hate Scars.
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 03-22-2005).]

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/22/05 08:40 PM

hi all, just a minor point, but i believe its spelt "vagus" nerve

whitedragon, ed

had to drag out my old ppct chart to be sure, but the brachial plexus (origin) is approximately 1/2 way between your clavicle notch and and the top most point of your trapezius

ie between the bottom of your neck and the muscles on the side of your neck

this is about on the st9 point which affects the carotid sinus through signals sent through the vagus nerve.

so youre both right - youve just been taught slightly different from each other

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/22/05 10:32 PM

The Brachial Plexus (Tie In) is the target, hence the "Brachial Stun", although I guess you could call it the Vagus stun as well.

In LEO/ CO training it has been the Brachial Stun for many years. That vid is from the late 80s or early 90s.

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/23/05 04:14 AM

Hi the brachial point is at the root of the brachial nevre where the kneck meets the shoulder.
It is GB21 I think in PP terminology.
That strike was not on this point or St9, which is not the brachial point.
It was across the side of the face.

MDF

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/23/05 09:15 AM

While I am the absolute last person to debate pressure point tactics, I would suggest that even if the impact was not directly on the brachial point, the pimp's body dynamic made it so that it was close enough to generate the same effect.

That's why this video, right or wrong, has been circulating in Law Enforcement for 15 years as an example of the brachial stun.
Posted by: Oldwolf

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/29/05 08:55 AM

I'm no expert either, but apart from the lousy quality of the clip and it appears that a few frames are missing, the strike could loosly have been described as an outer fore arm strike to the junction of the carotid sinus and the vegus nerve, certainly the result suggests that, definately not a strike to the brachial plexus, think Spocks Vulcan nerve grip area.
Forgive the spelling
I'm back

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/29/05 09:13 AM

Police work being different and with limitations I understand your veiw Fletch. Since my training is diferent than police style tactics our strikes were taught to focus on damage more than subdue.
While I am aware of the brachial stun, our focus on targeting that area is breaking the collarbone. Same forearm strike, more down than side as in the video. With only 3-5 lbs needed to snap the collar bone, this is an effective strike also.
Just another way to deal with an adversary.

For your information;
What are Brachial Plexus Injuries?
The brachial plexus is a network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm, and hand. Brachial plexus injuries are caused by damage to those nerves. Symptoms may include a limp or paralyzed arm, lack of muscle control in the arm, hand, or wrist, and lack of feeling or sensation in the arm or hand.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 03-29-2005).]

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 03/31/05 02:23 AM

no martial art experience here
but what that guy did was too filthy
i wish if a guy come up to me acting all
tough i could do that
it was too hilarious too
with the music
hahah
was the guy who did the arm thing a martial
artist or was he just some really inexperience
guy who happen to dint know nothing n did
the dumbest thing possible n it happen to be
a really good martial art move?

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 04/01/05 11:13 AM

i saw this on RealTV, and they said the guy was martial artist who hosts law enforcement seminars, which is what was going on at the time. the guy evidently saw the pimp beating on his ho and went down to tell him to stop... then knocked his ass out.

Re: Strike to the vegas nerve video - 04/02/05 12:37 AM

I saw this video several years ago.It's still awesome [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
The guys name is Jay Lee(spelling)and he knew what he was doing.He hosts law enforcement seminars and instructs some of L.A.P.D.