30 days part 2

Posted by: still wadowoman

30 days part 2 - 01/10/05 06:48 AM

Following on from Ed's thread regarding training someone in 30days, let's assume our hypothetical candidtate has learnt some basic striking/grappling techniques and had some weapons training, and is now ready for some scenario training.

Which scenarios would you train him for, given the limited timescale?
Sharon
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 30 days part 2 - 01/10/05 04:21 PM

I don't why anyone else said fitness training and sparring everyday.

In fact, my approach was totally different. I would go through everything (strikes, locks, submissions, falling, weapons, weapons defense, grappling, fitness, escapes, sparring, and a less rigid form of one step sparring, which in a way is somewhat like scenario training)) every day of the program. And probably some basic law and first aid concepts.

I assumed you were like a personal trainer and could be with them from sun up to sun down.

Good knowledge of self defense and reasonable sparring skills should be able to prepare most people for scenarios such as ambushes by muggers....unless they are training for bodyguarding and so on.

If they sparred for thirty days with an experienced, trained opponent, their imrpovement would be dramatic. Doing this and hard fitness training, they would leanr self control and get over the adrenaline pump.

It seems like I am trying to pack to much into every day, but think of just like a gym routine - just doing sets of different exercises.

Actually, I question the point of doing it in modules - in a few weeks time, will they remember how to do an evasion to a punch and how to effectively counter it?
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: 30 days part 2 - 01/10/05 04:25 PM

Good point on the memory issue. But I am assuming that in Gaffer's programme, our candidate would continue to build on the skills already learnt whilst adding new ones.

You obviously have to start somewhere and gradually add more "building blocks"
Sharon