Rape Stats

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Rape Stats - 01/09/05 05:27 PM

I thought this might be interesting:

One rape or sexual assault occurs every two minutes.

One violent crime occurs every five seconds
in the U.S.

172 Women are physically and/or sexually assaulted every hour!

261,000 rapes and sexual assaults occurred in the U.S. in 2000.

90,186 forcible rapes in 2000 as reported to police.

In the year 2000, 2.8 % of college women experienced rape in a six month U.S. Department of Justice study.

17% of rape or sexual assault victims were victimized by someone they knew!

One murder occurs every 34 minutes.

Source: http://www.womens-selfdefense.com/

They claim they got these figures from the National Center for Victims of Crime - Year 2000

Lok
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rape Stats - 01/09/05 05:44 PM

One rape or sexual assault occurs every two minutes.

Politically incorrect perspective coming up.

Although I know why it is phrased like this, it actually should be that one is reported every two minutes.

Unfortunately for actual victims, rape and sexual assault are some of the most frequently abused charges as far as reports go. Shelters and advocacy groups quote these stats inaccurately on a routine basis.

I take no joy in saying this. True victims will always be unecessarily scrutinized because of the abundance of reports that are later recanted or proven to be ficticious.

It is not nearly as common as these stats would indicate.

[This message has been edited by Fletch1 (edited 01-09-2005).]

Re: Rape Stats - 01/09/05 07:18 PM

Not to question your info Fletch, as you are "in the field" so to speak, but I was under the impression that sex crimes against women were some of the most under-reported crimes in the USA?

Re: Rape Stats - 01/09/05 08:40 PM

If one rape / sexual assault is committed every 20 MINS., we have 72 cases in a 24 hr. period.

One year will give us 25,920 cases.

Assuming 75% of the rapists are convicted and put into jail, there are still 6,480 rapists walking free on the streets of America on crimes committed in a one year period.

Even assuming a certain percentage of the crimes are repeats on different women victims by some of the rapists, the figure will still be in the thousands on a yearly basis.

So the chances of unknowingly bumping into a 'free-walking' rapist on the busy streets of America can be quite high?

Re: Rape Stats - 01/09/05 09:23 PM

The question is how do they arrive at these stats if not by police reports?

Claiming 262,800 rapes in a year (720 per day, 1 every two minutes) should have some hard evidence to support it.

Interviews? Independent studies? More than likely from Uniform Crime Reports which draw their info from dispatch logs of how incidents are cataloged among other things.

I do not doubt that in the grand scheme of things, it happens frequently just as other violent crimes. The problem is the stats that, unlike most other crimes, have a political consequence. The nature of the crime and the rate which reports are debunked causes me concern.

Don't take my word for it.

All I know is a lot of (sexual assault) calls that I have been on were determined to be unfounded, either by recant, witnesses, lack of or conficting evidence.

Estimates of false reports have been estimated by the FBI to be as high as 20%. The number of false reports of other crimes is around 2%.

I know this makes me sound like an ogre. Noone wants to hear this. Noone wants a rapist to go free either. The answer is not to blindly accept the stats out of fear of being villified by advocacy groups though.

The trend is to ignore false reports because they do not wish to inhibit true victims from coming forward. You never hear of a woman being prosecuted for making a false report of rape. Yet it does happen, whoever's stat you believe, at least occasionally.

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Rape Stats - 01/10/05 08:37 PM

I dunno...maybe they use an assumption?

Around my neighbourhood:

Over the past two years or so..there have been more than 11 shootings/murders near my area....and maybe about 6 cases or rapes.

There were probably more...but they were not documented on the news.

It's amazing so much can happen in a small neighbour hood. (I'm talking about a block or two...)

There were shootings near my house. There was a shooting and a murder to this new house I just moved into...and there were shootings, stabbing, robberies and alleged rape near and sometimes at my college.

It's must amazing.

I live in Scarborough in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada).

Lok