What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching

Posted by: Anonymous

What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 01:03 PM

What kind of defenceive menuver would be good? to get away or roll him over or turn the tide of the battle.

No locks please, sence in a street fight that would leave you open to his freinds when they see hes pinned.

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 02:39 PM

Rather than post a step by step answer, I would urge you to grab a training partner and see what you come up with.

There is no substitute for training and there are no shortcuts.
Posted by: schanne

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 03:06 PM

trap one of the punching arms turn to your side and roll into an arm bar. Basic stuff but to explain it through the computer is hard. It can be executed from the guard or the mount. There are so many options people have while being punched on the ground but they of course need to be practiced every day........it ain't rocket science just lots of sweat & hard work.
Posted by: schanne

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 03:12 PM

Sorry, didn't read the rest of your post about no locks ect. An arm bar can be done in a split second which will enable you to get up and fight that friend that your talking about. Don't forget once an arm bar is fully executed the mans arm is dislocated so the first guy that was punching you is out of the game.

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 03:41 PM

I'd suggest the armbar foremost, especially if you are in the guard, but ruling out locks, if he's riding you too high you can use a modified backwards roll to escape. If he's riding you low you can usually use your knee and the ground for leverage to roll him off. If he's riding you properly, using good hip control, try to lock one of his legs under yours (same side) and roll him in the direction of the trapped leg. These techniques will help you to get back to your feet if grappling isn't a viable option.

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 04:03 PM

We've done this type of scenario in our Taekwondo class several times. I hope I explain it as well as I've been shown ... forgive me if it doesn't sound as good.

When somebody is on top of you raining down with punches, we've been taught to to reach up toward their arms or arm pits limiting their movement. They will of course try to work around this but at the same time you are to launch one of your knees towards their butt end hopefully pushing them a little off balance and forward where you can latch around their head or body and pull them against you. They can't hit you if they are tied up.

Another thing we have been taught is to tie up one of their legs into yours by putting yours overtop. Then when they are raining punches down on you to grab the one arm on the same side you have lock the leg and to use your body to turn them onto their side and hopefully on to their back. This has to be done with one movement and quickly to make it work. You also have to be able to take a few punches. This is similar to what SifuSkyler suggested.

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 12-09-2004).]

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/09/04 04:44 PM

For them to punch, they have to give something up whether it be a body part, balance, or they're whole body. Think- when they punch, they're giving up balance and transferring their energy forward. Don't stop the motion, make sure you dodge or parry off the punch, knee to the back should add to the momentum and you can get him into a choke. Ask your instructor to see it or feel it. This post won't give you nearly enough info for it to work beautifully on the streets.

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/10/04 02:34 PM

armbar is no good, unless you have been grappling for years.

You may be good in class, but in real life when your adrenaline goes you WILL f it up.

first thing is to make sure your hips are almost directly under his, if not wiggle backwards until you are.

From there buck your hips straight up as far as you can this will cause him to go forward putting his hands down on the floor above your head to stop himself.

The trap his foot with your foot (the same side you want to roll him to. At the same time trap his arm with one or both of your arms (both if his hands are far away) make sure you trap the same side as the foot trapped. explosively roll onto him, then unleash the fury, elbows, punches palm heels.

When your ready to get up, which should be quick because the floor isn't a good place.
use the inside of his knees to push up, this way if he tries to kick you can deflect, as your getting up and have his legs split, stomp his balls once or twice, and if that didnt do it, just soccer kick him or whatever you want, just neutralize the threat and get out.

Hope this helps.

The armbar method is great, but what happens if you f it up? u get f'd up!

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/10/04 04:54 PM

TOPitBull is F'n correct.

LOL

Re: What to do if opponet is ontop of you and punching - 12/11/04 11:06 AM

i will lay of the f's in the future LOL