The best training for self-defense

Posted by: Anonymous

The best training for self-defense - 12/07/04 01:37 PM

So, I was sat in my friends house, there were 6 of us there, and it dawned on us that we've all had/do some kind of martial arts training. Between us we had trained in aikido, karate, tae kwondo and tai chi.

We had a few little fights, but we were always too scared of the pain without any sparring equipment. Anyway, one of them told me something his instructor had told him: "when you're in a street fight, become someone else." In other words, lose every part of you that isn't a fighter, that doesn't like violence or pain. Go insane, but don't lose composure.

And.. well, let's say since we started having full contact fights without any sparring equipment I've felt a lot more confident in the street. The only way to train for real fights is to have real fights, otherwise you're training for something that isn't going to happen.

Re: The best training for self-defense - 12/07/04 05:04 PM

True Solus. although using grappling gloves and shin-bone pads is good for fullcontact. Otherwise you're going to get really really hurt if someone lands a good punch/kick. And stay away from hard kidney punches since it hurts like hell and if you're unlucky you'll start pissing blood.

Good thread.

Re: The best training for self-defense - 12/10/04 11:40 AM

You guys are retarded,

I f i practiced Krav Maga with my buddies full contact one of them would probably die.

get some gloves at least or go make a back yard wrestling video.

If you think this is a good idea let us know when your heads cracked open, I would love to hear about it.

idiots, absolute immaturity.

Re: The best training for self-defense - 12/10/04 11:43 AM

lol....sounds like you learned something many long time martial artists never do, sparring and real fighting are NOT the same. I would suggest though a mouth gaurd,cup,light gloves(10oz) and maybe shin pads. Then you can really go at it with a lot less risk, have a spotter and a stop word as well. Don`t hit each others backs hard, and be carefull with neck throws(ie:muay thai type) If you really want to learn what a real fight feels like, find an amatuer muay thai event and enter it.

Re: The best training for self-defense - 12/10/04 11:48 AM

Yer right Pitbull....some things you can`t practice, and the style you mention is full of them. The difference between a tap and a snap when going full out is not something to be learned in the backyard.