ground fighting, is it important to a street fight?

Posted by: Anonymous

ground fighting, is it important to a street fight? - 12/04/04 10:38 PM

i was just wondering if ground fighting was important to a street fight, do most street fights end up on the ground? also if i wanted some ground fighting skills what would i take?

Re: ground fighting, is it important to a street fight? - 12/04/04 10:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by battersup2:
i was just wondering if ground fighting was important to a street fight, do most street fights end up on the ground? also if i wanted some ground fighting skills what would i take?[/QUOTE]

To a degree, a small degree.

It is best not to go to the floor so learning to avoid being taken down and learning how to escape grappling techniques and get back to your feet is more important than learning how to get a submission.

On the other hand in the rare instance that the fight is fair (one on one), then learning to restrain an opponent on the ground is very useful. Bear in mind no-one willing fights another unless they believe they have an advantage, be it a weapon, size strength, martial arts, or a bunch of friends you may not have noticed.

Re: ground fighting, is it important to a street fight? - 12/04/04 11:59 PM

Yes street fights do go to the ground more than you think. One thing is if it is a fight after school or a place where people are going to be, most of the time that the two fighters go to the ground the crowd stands them back up. Everyone wants to see strikes traded.

I take people to the ground in street fights and have done it plenty of times. I have the BJJ background to do so. But I do agree that the ground in a street fight is as dangerous as the fight it’s self. Street fights should if you can be left to upstairs work with strikes elbows Thai clinch and so on.

The reason I go to the ground is I’m very comfortable there and confident in my skills there, so I don’t second guess going there.

If I have to second-guess anything in life something is wrong. I herd that along time ago and didn’t really believe it. But as the years went by I have caught myself referring back to that saying all the time.

So if you can keep the fight up do so. But at least work on not being taken down or prepare for the ground just in case.

OCman……
Posted by: mcgee

Re: ground fighting, is it important to a street fight? - 12/05/04 09:37 AM

You must be prepared. Not all fights are face to face confrontations. You could be tackled from behind or walking in a parking lot and someone is crouching between the cars, and tackles you from the side.
Ok you are on the ground what are you going to do.
At least Know enough to control position and get back on your feet.