Fighting Stance

Posted by: Anonymous

Fighting Stance - 11/30/04 10:45 AM

Personally I find Kung Fu stances pretty impractical. Crane/Cat/Etc. They seem to sacrafice balance and mobility for appearance.

The normal stance ( elbows bent and forearms pointing straight up with your hands by your head ) to be both boring though effective.

What kind of fighting stance do you use?

Re: Fighting Stance - 11/30/04 11:43 AM

Confronted by an aggressor I would use a Passive Stance, such as 'The Fence'.

Take care,

Gaffer.

Re: Fighting Stance - 11/30/04 06:14 PM

I dont use stances in real fights. Go from where you are. In sparring and such though I have found JKD stance or the basic boxing stance good to use.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Fighting Stance - 11/30/04 08:16 PM

By stance, do you mean stationary position, or a form? Sorry, I just always think of the stationary karate horse stance whenever I hear the word. But in terms of form, I've always used Jeet Kune Do.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Fighting Stance - 11/30/04 10:33 PM

JKD. Much mobility.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/01/04 12:41 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the JKD stance with one forearm near your face and the other near your stomache?

It seems like the lower arm would be rather worthless. It can be used for blocking but it would take so much extra time to get it up and punch with it from such a low position.

I've been thinking something lately that resembles a man holding a shield and sword. Except with the arms in more hand-to-hand oriented positions. An attempt to illustrate would be....

Hold your weak arm up parallel to the ground with your forearm parallel to your face. ( Just like what it looks like when someone is holding a shield. ) Bring your power hand up next to your chin/shoulder area. The stance should be with your front foot out a little past your waist and your back leg lined up with your back shoulder and hip. Weight placement is about 80% back leg 20% front leg. Knees are slightly bent and you should be standing somewhat on the balls of your feet ( but not like a cat stance... )

I think it's effective for normal jab/punch combos because your jabbing arm is in a good position to strike ( compared to down by your waist ) and it's great for countering because one arm is being used primarily for defense on the initial strike and one arm for offense. So it would be a quick block with your weak arm as you are punching with your power arm technique. Of course once you were swinging you'd use both hands for striking but you get the idea... Opinions?

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/01/04 08:08 AM

I generally don't uses much in the way of stances in street fights, however I have found that they can be useful, I tend to use a cat stance if some one is attacking me, it gives you a base to lauch a solid counter, and is still mobile enough to get around your opponent, and strong enough to fight from. The crane stance tends to be more for balance practise rather then fights, however Tiger, Dragon and Cat stances tend to be good for fights, they are solid and mobile, well dragons not all that mobile but very solid

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/01/04 01:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drakar:
It seems like the lower arm would be rather worthless. It can be used for blocking but it would take so much extra time to get it up and punch with it from such a low position.[/QUOTE]

It is quite useful from down there. There are more targets than your opponent's face you know. Besides, with a nice slip, it finds it's way home everytime.

Oh yeah, and your "ultimate stance" is basically a hazy desciption of the Bai Jong stance from JKD in a left lead.

P.S. You should be leading with your right, and crossing with your left. Then step in with the left to throw a finishing right from the rear fist when you've sufficiently stunned them. It will help you to land a lot more blows and will give you a far more controling defense. Don't forget to kick too, lol.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/07/04 02:23 PM

Thai boxing stance or Krav Maga stance
which is a thai stance with elbows tucked in more, and hands open.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/07/04 05:50 PM

Hi There

We modify the stance depending on the range

Kicking distance...Thai stance
Punching Distance...Boxing Stance
Grappling distance... Thai grappling hold
Ground.....take your pick..

The Wolf

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/13/04 03:16 AM

i tend to use more kenpoesk staces, 50/50 wieght distrabution, slight seperation of legs to alow for ease of kicking but shoulder still faceing opponet, both hands *floating* out in front, baring varialbls the lead hand about shoulder/chin level the rear hand lower at about belly button level. Also "staces" are transistionry, never just stand there.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/13/04 06:22 PM

The scenario dictates.

During a verbal exchange or a situation where you need to maintain the element of surprise for a first strike option, a relaxed open stance with the hands up in a non threatening, non martial artsy position.

When the fight is on, function dictates form. Fighting is athletic, so a balanced athletic posture may be practical. Hands up (obviously) and protecting the head.

Some debate the strong side forward. To me it makes no difference as long as you can use it effectively.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/14/04 11:45 AM

Do not psychoanalyze your stances. There is no magic or mysticism in Martial Arts. With time and a lot of training your particular styles stances will solidify in your sub conscious and you will without thought transition into an appropriate stance for the situation. You must do what ever it takes to protect yourself and Martial Arts ONLY serves to enhance that.

Dave--Kaibutsu Kan Karate Do
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/26/04 07:02 PM

self defense- hachi dach, why? Because that is how I stand when I talk to someone, and that is why most forms start from here. Sparring- depends on the opponent but it's basically the shorin triangle. Either side depending on opponents movements and stances.

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/27/04 02:49 AM

for everyone it,s personal the stance I think. The stance we use by kravmaga is front leg 60% forward and back leg 40% behind. Why the front leg 60% because the weight and it,s stroger forsweeping etc etc, the back leg and ball of the foot because, you can go forward quickly and balance more.
Gr Timo

Re: Fighting Stance - 12/27/04 07:20 AM

I use some kung fu stances in sparring. I usually start in a high stance, but often go to a bo stance to make a hit (being 6'3" going into a bo stance gets me real close)