what to do when somebody is charging at you

Posted by: Anonymous

what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/19/04 05:52 PM

what do you do wen sumbody is charging at you trying to tackle you

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/19/04 08:41 PM

Go to the sparring and practice fighting forum and check out the thread, "How to deal with a charging bull." It gets a little off topic at times, but still gives some insight, lol.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/19/04 09:40 PM

Run away faster than they are charging you.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/19/04 09:41 PM

It depends. Who's bigger and are you off balance at the time?

If you are bigger and on balance. I would suggest pretty much just running right into them. ( I'd like to see that. ) Gravity will do the rest for you.

If you are smaller and on balance. I would suggest getting out of the way. If you don't have time to get out of the way, there's a technique that i've been using for a long time. It's hard to explain. You'd have to practice with a buddy to get the hang of it. Maybe not. Anyways.. here's how it works.

When people try to tackle you, they put their head down. Lean forward onto them and accept their charge while grabbing their head in a headlock. Make sure that your back legs are at an angle and dug into the ground as hard as you can to resist their force. If you try to do it while standing straight up they'll just knock you over and end up on top of you. Stick your legs behind you almost like you are using the kid as the third leg of a tripod. Your legs being the other two. When you have his head in the headlock... make sure it's under your chest with your chin on his back. Then just... fall on him pretty much. His momentum from the charge will keep him off balance enough to where he won't be able to resist your body weight. So just fall on him with his head in a headlock and your legs back. Then what I would personally do from there is something I think wrestlers call the Guillotine. Your arms should already be around his neck. Just pull up on them and choke him. Pressing down on his head with your chest and keeping your legs back so he has no leverage to knock you over.

Keep in mind.. this is all done as like.. one motion. So practice it step by step and just analyze how you could bring it all together as one motion. You'll figure it out.

On the other hand. If their head is NOT down. Just try to step to the side and maybe trip them or punch them in the face as they slow down to re-target you. It's really all about what feels comfortable to you. Just don't try to go head to head with them unless you are bigger.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/23/04 10:42 PM

I dont know if this would work in a more realistic situation, but the other day one of my friends (about my same size) charged me after asking me "what would you do if i did this" (he knows i'm sorta into MA).

I turned to the side as he was coming towards me and at the last second before he hit me, I turned my back to him and positioned my feet in the Tai Otoshi judo throw. I moved slightly out of the way, but grabbed him and threw him using his own momentum against him... I was surprized at how well it worked.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/24/04 01:56 AM

What does the matador do when a raging bull charged at him? He side-step. All other effective techniques flow from there. The front-to-front techniques may fail due to the tremendous momentum and energy of a fast moving heavy object (especially a thinking one) -- E=Mc2 remember? You will find it very difficult to keep your balance. Which was why grapplers for a time were so succesful against stand-up punchers & kickers.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/24/04 06:38 PM

I know this works because, by chance, I happened to use this today. When they are running at you, a good thrusting side kick will throw them down. Their velocity from running at you supplies even more force leading to the kick's effectiveness.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/24/04 08:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ButterflyPalm:
What does the matador do when a raging bull charged at him? He side-step. All other effective techniques flow from there. The front-to-front techniques may fail due to the tremendous momentum and energy of a fast moving heavy object (especially a thinking one) -- E=Mc2 remember? You will find it very difficult to keep your balance. Which was why grapplers for a time were so succesful against stand-up punchers & kickers.[/QUOTE]

OK, just a science lesson... I know what you mean, but you've got the inappropriate formula. What applies here is the bull's momentum:
p=(mvc)/(sqrt(c*c-v*v))

e=mcc refers to the energy in any given piece of matter. If total matter-to-energy conversion were attainable a pebble could probably heat your house for a year... in Wisconsin. But I think I'm underestimating!)

Anyway, I agree with your input. The best block is not to be there.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 01:17 AM

kd4yhs.

Is your username also a secret formula for converting the total intrinsic energy of a pebble to heat up houses? Let me guess:-

kd4 = the 4th dimensional biometric constant multiplied by the 'kinetic di-acid'

yh = 'your house'

s = still figuring this out. Any input
will be appreciated by the
electricity company.

I was never good in science anyway; which was why I ended being a lawyer; its so much better to be a genius after the fact.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 10:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by battersup2:
what do you do wen sumbody is charging at you trying to tackle you[/QUOTE]

Good question....I would....MOVE.

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 01:05 PM

Theres a story I want to share. Someone I know went to a McDonalds. He trains in AJJ. He somehow made this guy mad. After he got his food he walked out to his car. The guy came charging after him. My friend sidestepped at the last moment and lifted his tray. The guy went flying into a fence and my friend didn't spill a fry.

So, what you do is you....move

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 03:38 PM

As Drakar said, most grapplers would tell you to use the guillotine. This will only be useful if their head is down or you have practiced the motions enough to have it at least partially in your muscle memory. The basic motion is to trap the top of their head in the bottom of your groin making them into a sort of an upside down v with their neck being the apex. There are many different grips you can use for this but my personal favorite is to grab the knife edge of my right hand with my left hand and flatten the other edge (along the thumb) of my right hand so it makes its own sharp side. Then arch your back with the thumb side of your right hand parallel to the ground and along their trachea. Be very careful with this as it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to permanently damage someone that doesn't know what you are doing.

If they are rushing at you in more of an upright and hands out form you could do an underhook throw. I've personally used this one fairly effectively in my limited submission grappling experience. I usually end up in the side mount though, so if you are trying to escape this would probably not be the best way to go. In an underhook throw you put your arm deep underneath theirs while slightly squatting. Then you thrust up through your legs/hips/lowerback and twist a bit to guide their fall to where you want it.

These are just a couple defenses I have used/learned in my submission grappling group. The guillotine choke is also very useful against a shot (no, not a shot from a gun, a wrestling/grappling shoot).

If possible though, moving out of the way is usually a pretty good way to make them look foolish and it keeps liability away from you for any injuries that may result.
Posted by: SOKE

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 04:33 PM

move aside,a trips optional.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/26/04 05:18 PM

If he's low:

Sprawl.

Get both arms in an inside position (cow catcher), drop your level as he comes in.

If he's coming in high:

Move. Use angles and as he comes in, drop your level and blast through him with a double leg takedown.

You NEVER "charge" a grappler. If anything, you RUN AWAY from them, lol.

-John

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/28/04 10:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Good question....I would....MOVE.[/QUOTE]

no **** dumbass, i'm talkin about if you don't have time to move
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: what to do when somebody is charging at you - 11/28/04 09:03 PM

Well, Dumbass, if you dont have time to move, then you get HIT. Idiot.