Help on faster reaction time to an attck

Posted by: Anonymous

Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/18/04 09:26 PM

I'm 14 and a couple of weeks ago as I was walkin gout of one of my classes a guy came up behind me a grabbed, I had taught myself self defense and tryed to kick him in the shin but this guy was really really fast. After that incindent I relized that in need a way faster reaction time and beter reflexes. Can anyone help me I've been self training for 2 years cause no one wants to practice with me.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/18/04 09:31 PM

Sry for my bad typing, so just do sum it all up I need to improve my reflexes alot and i need some tips on how to self traing with out developing sloppy techinques.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/18/04 09:38 PM

I have the answer for you. Write this down.

If someone ambushes you, consider yourself ambushed. Being "faster" is not the long term answer. It may get you by for a while, but there will always be someone who is still "faster".

Learn to pick up on pre-contact cues. Pay attention to body language and set-ups people use to sucker you in. If you recognize a threat "sooner", you have more time to respond and don't have to rely so much on raw speed, something that will deteriorate with age.

Me? At my age, I'll never get faster but I feel that if I pick up on an attack soon enough, I won't need to.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 12:43 AM

Darth, I know what it's like not to have a sparring partner. You are very limited as to what you can practice without forming bad habbits.

I believe first you should form a good foundation of basics. Learn the correct way to punch, kick and block. Once you have proper form down, repeat these actions over and over infront of the mirror every day. Not just like once or twice. As many times as you can until you get tired or you get dreadfully bored. If you need help learning proper form post again and we'll try to help you out. ( Make sure not to punch/kick/block too hard when you are practicing in the air or you can hurt yourself. )

Repetition is the best way to gain speed besides sparring ( which in essence is also repetition ). So keep at it.

Now that you've got your speed and a good foundation of basics you might want to start researching philosophy. The philosophy behind martial arts is like the strategy in war. There are plenty of different philosophies to look into. I recommend you start with Aikido, Jeet Kune Do, Karate and Brazillian JuJitsu. Once again, if you need any help understanding these theories and ideas, just ask. Just make sure you aren't lazy and try to get us to do your work for you. Try researching them first, then if you don't understand something. Ask the forum or make a post asking for me specifically and we can work something out. Good luck man!

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 03:40 AM

Hi Darth Arwen,

Fletch1 has touched on your weakness, that being your lack of awareness.

You need to work on your awareness and avoidance skills, something I teach to my students before they are taught how to make a fist.

Practice Jeff Cooper's Colour Coding system...

White = Oblivious
Most people are code 'white', they are totally oblivious to their surroundings. Geoff Thompson's research found that Mugger's, Rapist's, etc, actually believe that if an individual is code 'white' then they DESERVE to be mugged, raped, etc, etc!!!

Yellow = Threat Awareness
In code 'yellow' you should be aware of your environment and surroundings throughout 360 degrees (alround you).
I am code 'yellow' even when asleep!
If at any time you note a suspicious character or a potentialy dangerous situation then immediately step up to code 'orange'.

Orange = Threat Evaluation
In code 'orange' you should be evaluating the threat in preparation of code 'red'.

Red = 'Fight or Flight'
Fight or RUN!

You can step up or down from any code at any time.

Here's something I get my students to do. Understand the coding system and maintain code 'yellow', then, when out (say down the Mall), look around for people that are code 'white'. You'll be so suprised to see how many people are code 'white', it's very worrying!

There are two types of fights, the 'Interview' and the 'Ambush'.

In an 'Interview' why not act first as you would have already progressed up the codes, run (preferable) or if you really need to, use a pre-emptive strike?

As for reflexes (reations) to an 'Ambush'.....

Actions will always be faster than reactions - fact!

In an 'ambush' situation why not manipulate your flinch response and then react from it, rather than thinking that you could possibly re-act quicker than them with quicker reflexes.
Your flinch is part of you and you cannot bypass it, however, your flinch can be adapted (manipulated) to act as a defencive shield (guard) and a base from which you can launch an attack.

So, in a nutshell, improve your self-protection skills, in particular Avoidance and Awareness, before you put hours of effort into improving your reflexes.

Take care,

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 11-19-2004).]

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 12:43 PM

I disagree Gaffer. It seems to me like you are just telling him to walk around scared all the time. Looking at people and wondering "Is he going to try and mug me?" Of course this is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

I also don't believe that was the kind of awareness Flech1 was discussing. He was referring more to the fight awareness. When you are already in a fight, being aware of your opponents intentions. Like when they project a move. Stepping forward means an attack, and so on. Things of that sort.

I don't feel that awareness program is completely worthless. I also don't believe it's completely harmless. Walking around constantly analyzing people as threatening or non-threatening can really mess with your mind. I think there are better ways.

By my other post, you know the first two steps I suggest to improve yourself as a street fighter.

Beyond that, there is almost always an equalizer in a fight. If someone ambushes you, be a fox in a corner. Deadly and fighting for your life.

At your age in your school, I highly doubt anyone is going to do more than give you a few bruises. So I don't advise trying to kill any of your classmates even if they grab you. Just use your speed, technique and theory from the first two steps I suggested in my last post.

Now, referring to a street situation. Say you are walking home and someone you feel is going to threaten your life grabs you aggressively. Do not try to kick them in the shin. Do the most damage you possibly can as quickly as you can and make their choice as painful as you can. A few suggestions are....

DO NOT USE THESE TECHNIQUES UNLESS YOU FEEL YOUR LIFE IS THREATENED

A.) In a life threatening situation, squeezing someone's balls as hard as you can.. as gross as it sounds, tends to make them let go of you pretty dang quick. Kicking them in the balls helps too, but it's hard to kick when you're being grabbed.

B.) Taking your thumb and jamming it as hard as you can in their eye would be another good move. People don't usually start fights with the intention of being permananly injured and often they will decide it's not worth it if they feel you are able and willing to do so.

C.) If the other two options are unavailable. Try and go for the throat with as much power and speed as possible.

D.) If there is a worthy weapon nearby. Such as a brick or a weapon you can swing at them. Use it. If you truly believe your life is in danger. Anything goes. There are no rules. Do not worry about honor.

Of all things, being responsible with your skills is one of the most important. Being able to hurt someoen can give us a lot of confidence. Often that confidence can turn us into the bullies we began training to defeat. Don't let that happen to you. Control yourself and think of the big picture at all times.

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited 11-19-2004).]

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 01:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drakar:
....It seems to me like you are just telling him to walk around scared all the time. Looking at people and wondering "Is he going to try and mug me?"...

...Walking around constantly analyzing people as threatening or non-threatening can really mess with your mind...
[/QUOTE]

Hi drakar, I'm not going to pretend that being code 'yellow' doesn't use up energy. In fact when I'm out all day with my family at, say, a large shopping mall, being code 'yellow' can be a little exhausting, but...

Being aware of your environment and surroundings is just as, if not more, important than anything else.

As an analogy; Which is best, teaching a child how to react when it's hit by a car, or teaching a child how to cross the road safely using awareness and avoidance skills?

Being 'Coded up' doesn't mess with your mind. Being mugged, stabbed, beaten up, shot, does!

Oh, and I see what you mean about me misunderstanding Fletch1's reply, my bad - oops! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Take care,

Gaffer.
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 01:57 PM

The code system is an excellent method of awareness and avoidance.

Gaffer's post is right on the money.

Alec

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 02:10 PM

Gaffer, make no mistake. I completely understand the system and it's theories. As I said, it is not completely worthless.. I just don't see it as doing more good than bad.

In reference to the crossing the street analogy. I don't think it's really relative. I mean, we are all aware of the chance of someone getting hit by a car if they don't look when they cross the street. The chance of being attacked in the middle of a mall is nowhere near as high.

I would use an analogy more like... being bitten by a poisonous snake. Sure, it's possible. And of course, it's not as if you are purposely trying not to notice a snake ( or a possible attacker ). I'm sure there are plenty of times when people have avoided someone they thought could possibly be a threat even though they weren't constantly scanning the crowd. However, it doesn't seem logical to me for someone to spend all of their time outside looking for a snake, when chances are, even if they don't they won't get bit. This analogy works on two different levels. One, if you are not in an area where you expect to see a snake, you don't necessarily have to be constantly aware of the possibility that you could get bit. On the other hand, if you ARE in an area where snake bites are expected, you SHOULD keep an eye out. I'd compare this to being in a bad neighborhood. Agreed? So I wouldn't train people to always be on the lookout, because the chances are they won't get attacked in a common public place. What I would do is, train them how to handle the situation incase they were. So that they didn't have to let their life pass them by watching out for bad guys. Instead they can be relaxed knowing they can handle the situation should it arise. This is just like training someone how to tend to a snake bite, but not training them to always be checking for snakes everywhere they step.

P.S.
I would like to point out how well you handled that situation. Instead of being offended that I disagreed, you looked at the situation objectively and applied logic. I wish more people had that kind of patience. I'm sure you're a great teacher. Hopefully your good attitude doesn't change after reading this post. Hehe.

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited 11-19-2004).]

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 04:28 PM

This is just like training someone how to tend to a snake bite, but not training them to always be checking for snakes everywhere they step.[/QUOTE]
I see your point.
I suppose it's like everything, you've got to find a balance.

I will add something though; Although I swear by the Jeff Cooper's coding system - mainly because of it simplicity to use and teach - I'm pretty sure that some people, yourself included, subconciously monitor your surroundings and adapt your awareness accordingly.

What I am sumising (assuming) is that you follow your own subconcious coding system without even knowing it.

P.S.
I would like to point out how well you handled that situation. Instead of being offended that I disagreed, you looked at the situation objectively and applied logic. I wish more people had that kind of patience. I'm sure you're a great teacher. Hopefully your good attitude doesn't change after reading this post. Hehe.
[/QUOTE]
LOL, likewise, it's a pleasure having a healthy debate with you. We'd never learn if we're all 'yes' men. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 05:10 PM

I agree, we all monitor our surroundings to some degree subconsciously.

Please don't take this as a personal assault. But I don't believe in teaching what's "easy". I think students need something to aspire to.

When I teach people, first I show them why it is the right thing to learn. Then I teach them how to teach themselves. ( I'd never make it as a martial arts instructor, haha. ) I still don't see the point in teaching the code system, but that's not what i'm referring to. I'm specifically referring to how you said you teach it because it's "easy". That worries me. I hope you are not trying to make it easy on yourself to teach your students. That would be a grave waste of both your time.

Once again. Please don't take that as a personal attack. I've never seen you teach so I don't know whether or not you're good. I just think teaching is the greatest responsibility in life and I feel an obligation to try and show people the best way to do it. Or atleast make sure they are trying their hardest.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 06:07 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I never really though of awareness beacuse I was on school grounds. But I do have one question and that is ... if you are being punched I know how to block it but how do I know if my reflexes are fast enough to block it. I'm not out here to divide and conquer i just want to be able to protect myself because me and my friends have been harassed before but I talked myself out of it I just want to be ready Once again thanks alot I appreciate it

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/19/04 11:19 PM

Interesting.

As an instructor, I am aware of the Color Code system but I do not find it particularly constructive to teach in depth to my students. When I first learned it, I was like "Yeah. So?". Sure I may mention it during an awareness class but it will be quick.

I have found that anything with more than three moving parts usually fouls me up in the long run.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/20/04 02:04 AM

...Please don't take this as a personal assault. But I don't believe in teaching what's "easy". I think students need something to aspire to...

...I'm specifically referring to how you said you teach it because it's "easy". That worries me. I hope you are not trying to make it easy on yourself to teach your students. That would be a grave waste of both your time...

...Once again. Please don't take that as a personal attack. I've never seen you teach so I don't know whether or not you're good...
[/QUOTE]
I'm not offended in the slightest [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] , those who are easily offended usually have something to fear or hide.

Now, onto this word 'easy'. We're still talking about Self-Protection skills aren't we, and not the Martial Arts 'journey', which I teach and is entirely different?

Ask yourself; Why is it that military personell are taught Combative skills in under two days?

Easy to learn - Easy to remember - Easy to use.

As for my teaching abilities; I have an 'open door' policy, anyone can watch me teach (better still, join in) anytime they want to, even you. I don't run a Mcdojo and I'm a good Instructor with high standards, I lead by example and my students (including Police Officers) repect me, my methods, and my teaching skills.

You're welcome to drop by if ever you are over here in the UK. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Check out my profile for my Academy's website.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fletch1:
As an instructor, I am aware of the Color Code system but I do not find it particularly constructive to teach in depth to my students. [/QUOTE]
Perhaps it's the way you teach it! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]
(Fletch1, only Joking, mate, I'm sure you're a good instructor [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] )

Take care,

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 11-20-2004).]

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/20/04 02:42 AM

Gaffer, glad to hear you weren't offended. I know a lot of people get pretty spazzy when you talk about their abilities as a teacher.

About the military reference. I don't think your students joined your class for a crash course in street fighting. They probably joined for a good overall training. The military does teach self-defense within a few short days. On the other hand, does that mean they are well prepared for a fight? Certanily not. Not only that, but a lot of the techniques taught are involving your gun as a blunt weapon. How hard is it to teach someone how to beat a person up with a giant metal object in their hand? Hehe.

I do agree that simplicity is good. I also believe that if someone is willing to dedicate time and money to martial arts, you should offer them the chance to become great. You'll never be great with simplicity. Simplicity wins you a street fight. Mastering complexity makes you a legend.

I wish I could come train but... I doubt i'll be in the UK anytime soon. I'll take a raincheck, though! A pleasure as always, Gaffer.

Re: Help on faster reaction time to an attck - 11/21/04 06:19 PM

'' When you leave home, think that millions of opponents are waiting for you.''
this was said by Gichin Funakoshi the founder of shotokan. I just found that today and it's a lot like the color code gaffer talked about so... (nothing else to say ...!!)