Karate Do on the streets

Posted by: Anonymous

Karate Do on the streets - 11/15/04 09:38 AM

Almost anyone who starts taking a martial arts begins it so they will learn to defend themselves if ever attacked, but later on after alot of training you learn that it isnt all fighting, and that fighting is only a small part of it. But either way, i would still like to know if anyone has used traditional (shorter stances, lower kicks, non competitive) karate do on the streets and how effective it was.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Karate Do on the streets - 11/15/04 10:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShorinRyu:
Almost anyone who starts taking a martial arts begins it so they will learn to defend themselves if ever attacked, but later on after alot of training you learn that it isnt all fighting, and that fighting is only a small part of it. But either way, i would still like to know if anyone has used traditional (shorter stances, lower kicks, non competitive) karate do on the streets and how effective it was.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the times I did it, I was a kyu ranker who thought he was God. Results were mixed, but good enough that it got me thinking that if I settled down to train seriously, it would serve me fine.
In the process, a funny thing happened: The more I trained, the less I used it. Considering the time it takes to earn a black belt, and that by then I was in my 30s with a family, there's probably a whole bunch of reasons for that. But the fact is I haven't been in a real fight for going on 20- odd yrs., so take my comments for whatever you think they're worth.

Re: Karate Do on the streets - 11/15/04 01:43 PM

I also practice some traditional karate and I think as far as striking goes, your better off using a good ol' boxing or muay thay stance. While the old karate stances(okinawan styles) were shorter I believe their best used in the application of holds and grappling. and if your playing it that way you might as well use the wider Japanese stances since they give you better stability.

Re: Karate Do on the streets - 11/16/04 11:38 PM

I've used 'traditional' karate a number of times and it has so far never failed me. The fights lasted only a few seconds as I always go for the direct take-down techniqyes. Eyes, throat, neck, solar-plaxus, groin, thighs and knees. Amongst a few others. The last fight I had I kicked the guy in the thigh. He hit the groung like a sack of sh*t and I got him into a neck lock. From here I just gave him a little talking to, basically giving him the oportunity to walk away. What was stranger, he bought me a drink after and thanked me for not hurting any more than I did. It's my belief, that according to the situation, it is not neccessary to completely destroy your opponent when there's no need. I love fighting, but I hate violence.