Side Kick to the Knee

Posted by: Anonymous

Side Kick to the Knee - 11/09/04 10:45 AM

Alot of you guys seems to recomend a side-kick to the knee as a good street fighting technique.

Wont this dislocate their bone causing them SERIOUS injury?

Which inless you are in a life-threatening situation is not what you whant.

[This message has been edited by MiSt (edited 11-09-2004).]

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/09/04 11:14 AM

Being the Self defense/Street combat forum it would seem appropriate.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/09/04 06:48 PM

I'm not that impressed with the knee shot. Unless you're kicking perhaps to the SIDE of the knee (good luck!), you'll have a hard time doing any real damage unless the guys legs are locked straight out. Again, good luck on that.

Consider also that your target will be moving and, fighting back.

It's just hard to "pick your targets" in real fights. You have to take what you're given in many cases. The knee shot just isn't one I'm inclined to use so much as a good straight right hand.

-John

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/09/04 09:08 PM

I've used knee shots alot and have taken alot including one that dislocated my knee cap, They are effective. What JKogas said is true its hard to pick your targets and it does much less damage aimed at the front as opposed to the side. But take into consideration it is easy to throw and your opponents knees dont need to be locked, and that the knee is a very weak joint and it is a decent tactic as it dont compromise your balance to badly, If you do hit the knee you can cripple regardless of where you aim. It doesnt take fine motor skills to perform a knee kick ethier. The legs are much stronger as weapons then the hands and if used correctly they control the distance in HTH easier then hand methods.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-10-2004).]
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/11/04 11:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgenT:
I've used knee shots alot and have taken alot including one that dislocated my knee cap, They are effective. What JKogas said is true its hard to pick your targets and it does much less damage aimed at the front as opposed to the side. But take into consideration it is easy to throw and your opponents knees dont need to be locked, and that the knee is a very weak joint and it is a decent tactic as it dont compromise your balance to badly, If you do hit the knee you can cripple regardless of where you aim. It doesnt take fine motor skills to perform a knee kick ethier. The legs are much stronger as weapons then the hands and if used correctly they control the distance in HTH easier then hand methods.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-10-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

ASSUMING you get the shot (No argument with Kogas' point about having the luxury of picking your targets, in the main), this kick can be made more effective from the front if instead of being pulled back after striking, it is raked down the shin and then stomped on the instep. Even if the knee isn't straight, it won't cause a whole hell of a lot of damage but might cause enough pain to distract the opponent as the stomp brings you in close for a liver or spleen shot, say.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/11/04 12:18 PM

Its a easy target to get to and hard to defend unless you know how to move and jam the other persons foot. Another way it can do alot of damage is instead of following down the shin, you can follow completely through with the kick causeing the other persons leg to lock. If you continue to follow through after the leg has locked and your weight has shifted you can do an extreme amount of damage to your attackers leg. Once again assuming you can get a good shot, better to rely on your feet for moving and your hands for fighting.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-11-2004).]

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 10:53 AM

If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.

So whats all this critisism about kicks for?

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 12:07 PM

I agree with Jkogas, if you've got to kick, then go low and from the side as an 'opener'.
Picking a target, such as the knee, is nearly impossible in a street fight situation, but with a very hard and low kick you will either hurt the opponent, disturb his balance or hopefully both.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiSt:
If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.[/QUOTE]
You should never assume anything of your opponent, always keep an open mind, he could even be a better kicker than you.

Range isn't everything, therefore, kicks aren't everything!

So whats all this critisism about kicks for? [/QUOTE]
The 'constructive' critisism on this forum of late is very valid. Kicks, by their very nature, carry a higher risk than many other effective and efficient striking techniques.
I think respnsible martial artists should be constructively critical of all techniques, not just kicks. In doing so we will better ourselves in our quest to protect ourselves and loved ones by using the most effective and efficient techniques available.

"Knowledge is power"

Take care,

Gaffer.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 12:35 PM

Fair enough about the 'constructive' critisism.

I think you m/a often over estimate your opo,why give him so much credit? Most people cant do a decent kick
1.Beacuse they dont know how.
and
2.Because there legs are not flexible enough.

Besides,from my observations most people when agresive will simply repeditly hit you with one hand in an "up and downwards mannor".

Ps- I get replies so quick here why not have a chat room?
Look foward to reading your replies -MiSt.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gaffer:
I agree with Jkogas, if you've got to kick, then go low and from the side as an 'opener'.
Picking a target, such as the knee, is nearly impossible in a street fight situation, but with a very hard and low kick you will either hurt the opponent, disturb his balance or hopefully both.

If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.[/QUOTE]
You should never assume anything of your opponent, always keep an open mind, he could even be a better kicker than you.

Range isn't everything, therefore, kicks aren't everything!

So whats all this critisism about kicks for? [/QUOTE]
The 'constructive' critisism on this forum of late is very valid. Kicks, by their very nature, carry a higher risk than many other effective and efficient striking techniques.
I think respnsible martial artists should be constructively critical of all techniques, not just kicks. In doing so we will better ourselves in our quest to protect ourselves and loved ones by using the most effective and efficient techniques available.

"Knowledge is power"

Take care,

Gaffer.
[/QUOTE]

This from a former TKD fighter! Darn, it appears the trolls have done us an unintended favor. The quality of posts has sure gone up in the last week.
Good post, Gaffer. Have a good & safe weekend.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 01:33 PM

And you MAGon, have a safe one! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

I think you m/a often over estimate your opo,why give him so much credit?[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, that's a very good point!....but is that necessarily a bad thing?

"Expect the worst, hope for the best"

Is that a valid quote, any thoughts guys?

Take care,

Gaffer.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 01:49 PM

Expect the worst, hope for the best - Nice quote,but why not just adapt if your opo does know what he is doing?

What do you make of my observations?
-MiSt

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/12/04 05:24 PM

Guys: These last issues you're talking about came up in a slightly different thread some months ago, that one dealing with the effectiveness of one blow to end the fight. After the smoke cleared, the consensus that emerged (From the likes of Kogas, Chen and JohnL) was "expect the worst, hope for the best and if it comes to pass, TAKE IT as a pleasant surprise". Sounds a lot like a marriage of what the both of you are saying.

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 11-12-2004).]
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/15/04 07:46 AM

Kicking the knee straight on won't dislocated the knee, but lock the attackers leg if he is rushing foward.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/15/04 09:15 AM

I traind in a style once for about 2 years and a favret teckneque was to step out of the way then retern with a frunt kick to the side of the knee, as ther was contact we got court a few times and did coursed pain so I know this will work on most peaple.

Re: Side Kick to the Knee - 11/15/04 02:18 PM

Do kicks to the knee work? Here's my experience for what its worth, About 19 years ago I was sparring with a very good friend of mine in the dojo. He went for a middle area side kick. I don't know whether he slipped or the wooden floor was a bit wet however he managed to kick the side of my right knee in a downward thrust. It was, as they say,a damn good shot. I tried to turn away from the kick but all that happend was that he fell onto my knee and we both hit the floor in a heap. My knee was dislocated or at least it seemed that way by my lower leg's funny angle. I did the appropriate thing and screamed grabbing my knee whilst still on my back. There was a popping sound and my knee/leg went back to the proper angle.
Strangley enough I did not finish the lesson but went to the hospital where I was told, after some xrays and tests, that I had a fractured patella, torn cartlidge and ligament damage. This resulted in me being put in plaster for a month from groin to ankle and physio afterwards.
Although this was some 19 years ago I still can not kick properly off my right leg. I find my leg to be stiff and after a short while, painful.
So in my case a kick to the knee worked a treat as cured me for fighting anyone for about 6 months afterwards.
Just my experience about kicks to the knees