How to practice for a hard punch?!?!

Posted by: Anonymous

How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 10/27/04 12:03 AM

I've recently found that even though Im not weak with my punches, I dont think my punches are strong enough to knock someone out even if I hit them in some vital points. Now my questions are
1. is there a technique to a punch (i dunno....bend ur kness, twist your waist etc etc) that will make it stronger?
2. What can I do to practice my punches for speed+ strength?!?! I know boxing helps but is there anything else that I can do at home?!?!
3. What muscles are used when you throw a punch at someone?!

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 10/27/04 01:06 AM

there isnt great technique, put your body into it, step in while you hit

if you dont have a proper bag, just fill up an old potato sack with grain,sawdust or even some old jeans...

when you punch someone you are using sveral muscle groups, tricep, pecs,shoulder,bcak,bicep, mainly tricep though

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 10/27/04 12:35 PM

What you can do to raise speed and power is get free weights and punch with them! You should use:2,3,5,7,8 and 10 pound weights! Use the pyramid program for best results! For Example: 2,3,5,7,8,10,8,7,5,3,2! That is what I do and it burns the sh*t out of your arms and shoulders! Try starting out doing 100 of each! You will quickly notice the improvement!

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 10/27/04 07:52 PM

I've been told that punching with weights trains the wrong muscles. The only positive aspect would be forming a better grip for a fist.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 10/27/04 08:26 PM

A very wise man once told me...
When we punch...we punch with our hips....when we kick....we kick with our elbows...

Body mechanics makes a good strike....not the size and shape of your fist..

Oh...and practice to actually "hit" something (pad work/punching bag ... anything that allows you to practice full contact safely) punching the air is good for a cardio workout, but actually making contact conditions you.

The Wolf

[This message has been edited by The Wolf (edited 10-27-2004).]

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 11/03/04 08:21 PM

Before you can throw any punch, you must first train your fist; the harder you can throw a punch, the stronger must be your fist. Foolsgold is right.

See my post on this Forum to "Any tips for a beginner?"

[This message has been edited by ButterflyPalm (edited 11-03-2004).]

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 11/04/04 03:10 PM

lifting weights is helpful. The more weight in the punch is helpful.

Grab a training elastic and wrap it around you and punch with it. It offers resistance training that punching with a weight cant do. Then work the bag while punching with it.

Remember basic rules: the lower you are to the ground the more power you have, yet less agility.

Extra strength can be added by supinating the wrist.

Keeping the arm in closer to the body will deliver a stronger punch. Punching from a circle and leaving the body before the arm has reached its full power point will detract from the punchs power.

And basic thing is just to keep doing it. Air box, then go hit the bag, then go lift weights, then just keep doing it.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 11/19/04 07:22 PM

Dragon: Dear, antzca2000
The power for a good punch comes from the correct twisting of the body from its center. It is also true that the knees should be slightly bent. The retraction of the fist is also important. This technique enables the person to send more powerful strikes with little or no pain from the impact. Shadow boxing is a great way to increase speed, personally I think if done with weights in the fists, then you should use sand filled weights or gloves. Knuckle push ups and various hand conditioning techniques can help improving punching power

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 11/19/04 09:50 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003487.html

Read my post there. I think it will help. The same offer too.. if you need my help feel free to message me.

Also.. an expirament i've been trying out recently. Go grab a bo-staff ( Or a broom handle if you don't have a bo-staff. ) Hold it in both hands straight out infront of you paralelle to the ground. Then do a strike with it ( a normal strike with the left or right tip of the staff.. not a spearing motion though.. the other kind of strike. )

Now. As you are striking with it. Feel how your body moves. It perfectly compensates for everything. Giving you the maximum amount of power in your strike. Now.. repeat the same body motion with a punch instead of a bo-staff strike. Make sense? Eh.. if not... just read my post on the link.

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited 11-19-2004).]

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/02/04 04:13 PM

yes there is somewhat of a techniqu to punching, when you punch your supposed to twist your back foot wen your doing it and put your whole body into it

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/04/04 08:20 AM

If you want to punch with power you must have good footwork.

I good punch starts at the foot,then to the knee and then up through the hips and finishes with the shoulder.

Study the videos on this amatuer boxing site.
http://seaford.abc.users.btopenworld.com/lead_hand_hook_head.htm
Its easier than me trying to explain.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/07/04 09:17 AM

i would say 80 percent of power comes from the hips, the rest the arm and shoulder.

Hitting bags will help alot.

I like to do push ups on my fists (vertical fist) with my elbows tucked in. This simulates our punches in Krav Maga and ads resistance to the same motion as the punch.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/07/04 11:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl:
I good punch starts at the foot,then to the knee and then up through the hips and finishes with the shoulder. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TOPitBull:
i would say 80 percent of power comes from the hips, the rest the arm and shoulder.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, don't forget the elbow. It is a very important link in the chain. Try to snap your elbow straight as you connect and you will get more power. Hit a few inches into the target. Look up the sun fist from wing chun for a better explaination. I combine this snap with all of my punching techniques (except hooks, lol), and it adds considerably more explosive force.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/07/04 01:13 PM

Impulse = Force x Time

Instead of putting a lot of force into a punch, try to do it as quickly as possible, aiming about an inch into the target, and pull back as fast as possible... only don't be too rigid with it, it'll look awkward, be relaxed. If you have a short contact time, and a reasonably strong hit it'll send 'em flying.

Try to twist your hips into it but don't use your whole body, it'll take you off balance.

Oh, and concentrate on triceps with weightlifting. Biceps may look nice, but they oppose the motion of the punch. It's like having your foot on the accelerator and the brakes, you feel the force, but no one else does.

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/10/04 10:47 AM

would you guys say bench pressing would help your punching power, also what are the benefits of a speed bag besiides hand eye coordination, does a speed bag improve your speed?

Re: How to practice for a hard punch?!?! - 12/10/04 11:04 AM

As a weight lifting martial artist, I can say that bench press will not make a significant difference in punching power.

As stated above, punching power is really going to come from your entire body. Your arms are just a part of that.

Regarding the speed bag, I also find that to be of little practical value. Sparring will give you all the same benefits and more.