Self Defence (First Post)

Posted by: Anonymous

Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 02:54 AM

G'day All

I have been silently viewing these forums for a while now and have decided to interact a bit more (My first post).

I have been using a punching bag with wrist wraps for around half a year now. When I first started it was quite painful on my wrists (having some difficulty keeping them straight). Now I can hit it with quite a powerful blow and experience pretty much no pain.

I have not used this improved skill, however recently I broke up a fight with a Sleeper Hold (Using it for the first time).

Upon realizing how effective it was and the fact that it is the only "move" I know (other than punching and kicking)... I would like to learn self defence.

I know "of" Krav Maga (that’s all), however I am unsure if it is useful for the real world.

If anyone could help me in finding a suitable art/form/style (for lack of the right term) I would greatly appreciate it. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

Regards Alex
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 03:29 AM

If you would like to learn more holds and locks i would sudgest jui jitsu (or Brazilian jui jitsu).

Chris

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 04:05 AM

Thanks for your reply. Can this be practiced in a club in pairs/groups or do you have to compete to continue onto higher training/levels?

Is Brazilian jui jitsu more, avoiding a hit and taking the attacker to the ground and then holding them?

Tying to keep this question away from "what is the best". What have you found to be the most effective street form?

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 05:23 AM

Well, In Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu You kinda avoid the strike and take the attacker down, or, you just take the strike and then grab him, As you can see in UFC when Royce Gracie fights.

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 05:29 AM

And Krav Maga, Yep, it's effective, Israel army uses it and police. You must be at least 18 and clear. Or What about Muay Thai? It's really effective, try it, if you like it or if it's close..

Or Judo for grabbling too... Judo is like 50&Throws 50&matwork Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is 85& matwork, Visit their dojo's and practice there once or two, and you should see if it's good for you.

-Lotus
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 12:20 PM

Only comment I can make is most of my encounters(which are work related-catching shoplifters) boiled down to jujitsu techniques.
Majority of people have no clue how to grapple effectively.

I would not ignore striking though. So best advice is to seek out training in both.

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 12:58 PM

I'v been in Judo 4 years, And i find it useful, because sometimes guys just come so close only chance is to throw, and locks are useful, if there's only one oppononent.

Re: Self Defence (First Post) - 10/09/04 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll start investigating. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]