Emotional Fighting

Posted by: Anonymous

Emotional Fighting - 10/01/04 02:23 PM

We have all heard of the fight or flight thing. We also know the affects of adrenaline pumping into the system. In a street fight, I feel it is better to control your emotion. Someone mentioned in the tales and stories forum, when backed into a corner that they would go crazy blah blah blah. If you let your emotions take control, then your technique goes out the window and your left thrashing about wildly. Instead of reaching this state, I believe it is better to control your emotion and channel it into something useful. any thoughts?

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/01/04 03:12 PM

Channeling your emotion into something useful is more easily said than done. I think it's one of those things that some people just do well, and some people just don't. But yes, I would say it is better in the general sense to retain control.

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/07/04 11:24 PM

Hi,
I have recently discovered a good way of overcoming the bad effects of an adrenaline dump, while keeping the good (ie. speed, strength). The adrenaline dump closely resembles the effects of being extremly cold. Your blood rushes from your didgets to your inner core, your motor skills are disadvantanged, you mind doesnt function aswell etc.
I have read many, many internet sites to help conteract these feelings and have found some info that could help us all.
Have a cold shower, no hot water just pure cold water, you will notice that your breathing patterns change and you will feel like you are paniking. Try to stabalise your breathing. In doing this you will notice that your motor skills are improved, your mind is clearer. Try doing this everyday, building yourself up. Then next time you have a fight, use your "breathing" method to calm yourself.
Please give me any feed back. Thank you
Oli

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/08/04 09:25 AM

Yech, cold showers are no fun [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: John_C

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/08/04 09:54 AM

Oddly enough, there are quite a few training regimes that extol the virtues of dousing (i.e. sudden immersion, or showering with cold water.

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/19/04 04:17 AM

I think the best thing you could do would be to silence your fears and not be afraind to hit.I think that would be the ideal situation and that is what I am aiming for =D.Since disabling the "fight or flight" and andrenaline would leave you in some disadvatages I think it would not be a good thing to just go easy minded and sure of victor in to a combat.

But when Id have to choose between panic or frenzy Id choose the frenzy =P
Posted by: Akiba

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/19/04 05:27 AM

I find a stiff drink oftens remedies an adrenal dump quite nicely.

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/27/04 01:49 AM

this is a very interesting subject, ive noticed that when i am in a street fight, my stability goes and so does my strength, is there anyway to adapt to the adrenaline rush, besides cold showers? because it seems that my blood doesnt circulate properly or somthing, its not just the breathing... it seems im on all sorts of muscle relaxants... is there somway you can stabalize these effects?

Re: Emotional Fighting - 10/27/04 11:06 PM

For me, lately I've just been finding out what its like to get hit, but by my own hand. It kinda has helped me get over my fear of taking a punch, I know more of what my body can take and what the after effects are, It sounds dumb and I am completly inexperienced but on the mentaly playing field its helped me latly.It also gives me a feel to how hard I can hit, althou it is rather akward, and you wanna try and do it in some privacy. I can expect it so it makes a difference but in a fight you hvae to be able to realise you will get hit eventually.