SECONDARY MA

Posted by: Anonymous

SECONDARY MA - 09/18/04 09:13 PM

ok guys i have been doing taekwondo for about 7 years i am 12 (but well trained) and i want to pick up on a secondary martial arts, i have been thinking of wingchun kung fu jujitsu, may some1 plz help me wit hthis "dilemna"
Posted by: JKogas

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/18/04 11:02 PM

Well lets see you're 12 so that should make you a what, second or third degree black belt? You'll be a grand master by the time you're driving so I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if you want to learn to actually FIGHT, pick up some boxing and wrestling. That'll go a long way.

-John
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/19/04 01:33 AM

Depending on the style of tkd you may already know most of what you would learn from boxing. If you are doing olympic (wtf) then you have good kicks, and thats a start. I would say a traditional Okinawan Karate, because many of your stances will be pretty close, and depending on the style of tkd and karate, many of the hand movements may be similar. You have a great deal to learn either way. Wresling would teach you a great deal that you did not get from tkd, but it's just another piece of the puzzle. A shoalin kung fu, jujitsu, capoeira, or even jeet kune do, would fill in more of the blanks for you. I don't mean to argue with kogas we just have different opinions, from similar experience. You can become a very efficient fighter from the combination of these two styles (that he names) but you need to be able to fill in pieces of the puzzle from research into other systems, books, talking with others, etc. Why not just take something that is a little more rounded, in one style.

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/19/04 11:09 PM

i was thinking alot about kung fu, it souds really interesting because taekwondo is mostely kicks, and most of kung fu is mostely hands so if i get those two together it will be nice, then if i get jujitsu for grappling which will also fill in pieces, and i have been training in hapkido as well for the same amout of time as i have for taekwondo

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/22/04 08:33 PM

Have you considered Arnis /Escrima / Kali?

The weaponry component usually compliments most martial arts and helps in becoming proficient with most weapons....the knife work is very practical and the trapping skills are similar to many Kung Fu systems...

Just a thought..

The Wolf
Posted by: MAGon

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/24/04 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tkdrosenthal:
ok guys i have been doing taekwondo for about 7 years i am 12 (but well trained) and i want to pick up on a secondary martial arts, i have been thinking of wingchun kung fu jujitsu, may some1 plz help me wit hthis "dilemna"[/QUOTE]

If you're comfortable with your striking skills, shoot for a grappling style. My personal preference would be some form of Jujutsu, but "shop around".

Re: SECONDARY MA - 09/25/04 12:12 AM

It's ridiculous to shoot for styles that aren't available in your area. Look in the yellow pages and ask around. If you find a style and teacher you like, go for it. If you're 12 years old w/ a black belt and are looking for a secondary art, you haven't found your primary art yet.