bear hugs

Posted by: c_maj7th

bear hugs - 09/09/04 09:11 AM

Hi All,
I have yet to see a good bearhug(overarm)defense that is realistic.Now,going on the assumption that your attacker is just going to stand there and hold you in place then yes,I guess there are a few good techniques.
But lets face it how many attackers are just going to stand there and hold you? The attacker is going to be lifting you off your feet and slamming you unmercifully to the ground in the blink of an eye.The victim can only hope the attack does not occur on the railroad tracks(lol).So,in my opinoin the only reasonable defense against a bearhug is to react before the attacker gets his arms locked in around you.Any thoughts on the viability of bearhug defenses?I would be interested in other opinions.
thanks
c
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 09:25 AM

I would probibly do what damage I could to his shins with the heels of my shoes, and grab whatever skin I could with my hands, and tear and twist as hard as I could while trying to head butt him in the face.

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 01:30 PM

another good way, assuming you have decent weight, is to just drop into a horse stance right as they grab you. they will try to lift you up, and its just dead weight so it will be more difficult. Then you can do a throw from there.

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 01:48 PM

That would be effective coxne, mine is just kinda like a wild animal approach.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 01:56 PM

Coxne

My prefferred move too, but it only works if you are quick enough and strong enough.

Try it with someone suddenly and forefully (just enough to slightly knock the wind out of you) grabbing and lifting you up.

The males in our dojo can all have me off my feet and slammed on the floor before I have a chance to sink my weight, Worse still, one of them is only 14 [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] This may not be the case for you, as obviously I am talking from a light (130 pounds) female's perspective

I am getting better at dealiing with the attacker once on the floor, but didn't manage to stay upright once from the initial rear grab in a whole session.

Any other suggestions for escaping the bearhug front and/or rear?
Sharon
Posted by: schanne

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 02:19 PM

Bear hug lesson one: Bear hug with arms free-Push down on your ukes hand so they are in or around your stomach area raise your right arm up high and strike your ukes forearm with an elbow strike, very very painful if you hit the meat of their forearm, repeat if nessesary.

Bear hug lesson two: Bear hug with your arms trapped-this technique is very "split second" which means it has to be done soon as you feel someone from behind you trying to bear hug you. Drop to Nahanchi stance(horse) and raise both your arms all the way up to release you from the hug. after you are released there are a number of more advanced throws and takedowns that can be done from that position. Those are my two bear hug lessons for today. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]That will be $20.00 please.

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 02:29 PM

Sharon,

I guess it wouldn't work for lighter people. It works for me cause I weigh 230, the only people that can keep me up in my class is the guy who can dead lift 450 lbs... I'd have to go with te75uo if they got me in the air. Just thrash about wildly until you hit the ground, (either being thrown or if they drop you from being kicked in the family jewels), then take it from there... anyone with a more "orthodox" method of escape?
Posted by: mikelw

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 03:05 PM

Step around their leg, lift up on their leg, and slam.

Re: bear hugs - 09/09/04 07:05 PM

Bear hug has to be the dumbest attack on a trained fighter. All of the above work, there is also bunkai in the opening sequence of Passai/Bassai.

Also, a good hands combo will probably knock them out.

Re: bear hugs - 09/10/04 01:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
Coxne

Try the same same technique,but this time turn yours shoulders and step in between opponents feet.From the rear you may try hooking their leg with yours.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: bear hugs - 09/12/04 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikelw:
Step around their leg, lift up on their leg, and slam.[/QUOTE]
I'd add a qualifier: Be ready to transition to an elbow to the face/ throat in case the attacker is so heavy you can't readily move the legs. I had that happen to me with a grappler, who grinned mockingly when I couldn't immediately throw him. If only he'd known what could've happened to him were it not that this was practice and therefore I wasn't willing to hurt him!

Re: bear hugs - 10/07/04 11:46 PM

hi,
I have found that if somone gets you in a bearhug, you should move your left leg being there right leg, and then push them with your left arm. Im sorry i cant explain it more, but its difficult to explain in words.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: bear hugs - 10/10/04 02:20 PM

I disagree with you Mark Hill, have you ever been bear hugged from behind and suplexed (Uranage) it's a killer!
This is far from stupid and is very effective attack against a trained or untrained fighter!
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: bear hugs - 10/10/04 02:25 PM

From a mainly striking MA. Stamp, bite, butt, grab, (make room any way you can) then strike and strike again.

Re: bear hugs - 10/10/04 03:52 PM

Dropping the weight is good if you are faster and stronger. After this, you can throw or grapple or strike.

One of my favorites is to grab the inner thigh skin and curl it up into a fist! That is usually an attention getter!
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: bear hugs - 10/12/04 12:17 AM

If they've gotten you off your feet, try grapevining their legs with yours. It won't stop them from slamming you, but it will keep you from hitting headfirst. A variation of the horsestance move, if you are quick enough, is to drop low while stepping back through with one leg, thus turning towards them, shooting in on their legs. Like I said, you have to be quick. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]