San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets

Posted by: Anonymous

San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 08/20/04 08:42 AM

I am new to this BB but I noticed that there are many posts about how martial arts are no good in street fights or self defense. This is simply not true although many martial arts concentrate on the sporting aspect of there art almost all that I know of have some self defense techniques. How effective they are in a real life situation probably depends on the practitioner.
In San Soo everything we do is practical for street fighting and or self defense. We learn techniques but they are not set in stone only the body mechanics of the techniques. You never know what is going to happen in a real fight so you have to train to let your subconscious take over and adjust your techniques to the situation. For example you may know techniques A ,B, & C in a fight you may take elements from each of these techniques and create technique X in a spit second. Also, we train for the “What If” what if you’re in the middle of a technique and it is not working are you screwed? No you just have to instantaneously adjusted and start a new technique. Of course this takes lots of practice but when you subconscious takes over you fighting you should be very capable of defending your self. When I speak of techniques they are simply any combinations of strikes, throws, leverages, breaks , etc..

“Fight with a smile on your face” Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo
Posted by: Dog Of War

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 12/09/04 09:13 PM

A fellow San Soo fighter.Bout Time.So I noticed you're from Ft.Myers, do you train under "crazy old Tom Akers?"
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 12/10/04 01:20 PM

Hey I think San Soo is awesome. Wish there was a school by me.
Ed

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 12/12/04 06:13 PM

San Soo...Is that the stuff that looks like muay thai without the knees?

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 12/12/04 07:35 PM

More like a mix between Karate and Kung Fu. I took a few lessons at a local San Soo school when I was searching for a kung Fu school. I found it to be just as valid as any other art. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...You guys probably know better than me, so...Is San Soo related in any way to San Shou? I always wondered about the origins of the art.
Posted by: Dog Of War

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 12/15/04 08:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SifuSkyler:
More like a mix between Karate and Kung Fu. I took a few lessons at a local San Soo school when I was searching for a kung Fu school. I found it to be just as valid as any other art. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...You guys probably know better than me, so...Is San Soo related in any way to San Shou? I always wondered about the origins of the art.[/QUOTE]
No,when Jimmy H Woo moved to America,he called it San Soo Kung Fu,which means something like full body fighting in Cantonese.Hope this helps.
-The Dog of War

Re: San Soo Martial Arts for the Streets - 02/03/05 12:35 PM

Choi Li Ho Fut Ga...The five families...is the original chinese name I think...Jimmy changed it to fit our American culture. Not a sport fighting art...strictly combat.