Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)

Posted by: Anonymous

Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/18/04 08:57 PM

Sam is in a bathroom stall taking a whizz. The stalls lock is broken. All of a sudden while Sam zips his pants up, a guy walks in the stall,closes the door and says..."sshhhh i dont wanna fight...just gimmie your money." Sam says no. Sam is scared and takes a headbutt to the forehead. The guy says "shut up and gimmie da money." Sam then says ok...you want the money and reaches in his pocket and takes his hand out and gives the guy a straight right to the lip. Then another bigger guy pops out of the stall next to Sams, he is standing on the toilet and is an accomplice to the assailant...what should Sam do?
Posted by: mark

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/18/04 09:25 PM

HIT HIM AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY VERY VERY VERY HARD!!!

Mark

PS: or as some have said, very fast or perhaps very accuratly [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/18/04 09:26 PM

Take out his wallet and drop it in the urinal, then cooly say "Go get it, asswipe."

Then when the 2 guys get fired up, he should pull the flush chain off the urinal and wrap it around his knuckles, kick on of the guys into a toilet with a working lock and jump in after him, quickly locking the door. Beat the guy in the face untill hes a bloody pulp who cant get up. Then same should kick the door down (dont open normally or he risks the guy being ready) and then it's a fair fight, same should whip the chain around in a circle motion keeping it at a high speed. Then when the guy makes his move whip the chain out and down over a hard part of hid body (head, knuckles, shin) then kick him untill hes on the ground, then while hes on the ground kick him a few more times in the head and make a run to get some police assistance.

Either all that, or just run away before the 2 guys can get close to him.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/18/04 09:45 PM

I guess there are far too many unknown variables for me to make any kind of realistic reply.

Once the victim committed to act, he should have made sure that the fist guy is not going to be able to respond again any time soon.

I'll probably take some flak for this next part but, he should yell his fool head off. Screaming "CALL 911!" at the top of your lungs will often have an amazing effect on would be attackers. The don't like attention and if there is any chance help or witnesses will show up shortly they often run.

This is not cowardice, it is common sense. The second guy could easily be armred and if there are two there could be three. When I teach self defense classes (mostly to women) I always advise them to carry a whistle or one of those aresol can horns to attrack attention. I'll tell them run thier car into another occupied car if they have to, but get someones attention no matter what.

[This message has been edited by TwoGun (edited 07-18-2004).]
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/19/04 02:00 AM

If there was no one else around, I would give them my wallet. No amount of money is worth getting beaten and possibly killed for and I don't know whether he is armed. I can't run because he has just burst in the door of a small cubicle.

Two gun gave excellent advice about drawing attention to yourself.

I would try being a hero to protect one of my kids, but not for a few quid.

I can always earn more money, my kids can't order a new mother.
Sharon
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/19/04 02:42 AM

Pull out my gun and shoot both of them. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/19/04 08:46 AM

Pull Half Guard on the closest one and use my cell phone to call 911.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 02:16 AM

I dont see why people think handing over your wallet will help.

It shows your weak, and makes the muggers more confident. Besides, whats to say those assholes wont beat or kill you after you hand over your cash.

At least thats the kind of thing I learned the hard way growing up, my original reply was obviously a hybrid of 2 mythical situations one being sam is 8 foot tall and made of muscle and one being of sam staring in an action movie.

But back to my experience, someones asks you for your wallet, you dont give them a reply, you dont pause or hesitate, you hit them as hard as you can within a second of them saying it, they will be completely off guard, once you've hit them once you keep hitting them untill you know they wont be getting up anytime soon. If there is multiple opponents, just hit them in order from left to right, or if your left handed the vice versa. Rinse and repeat.

If you think handing over your money is going to make a vicious, evil, scumbag feel that he doesnt need to give you a nice shiner or worse, your sadly mistaken.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 10:29 AM

But back to my experience, someones asks you for your wallet, you dont give them a reply, you dont pause or hesitate, you hit them as hard as you can within a second of them saying it, they will be completely off guard, once you've hit them once you keep hitting them untill you know they wont be getting up anytime soon. If there is multiple opponents, just hit them in order from left to right, or if your left handed the vice versa. Rinse and repeat.

While your systematic apprach to a mugging or street aggression may work for you, it will likely not work for someone else. Just do this ignores a plethora of factors that can and probably will affect the outcome.

You might say So What? Go down fighting! Expect no mercy and give none! which would further indicate either an abundance of testosterone driven attributes or a serious problem with reality.
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 11:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Soapurb:
I dont see why people think handing over your wallet will help.

It shows your weak, and makes the muggers more confident. Besides, whats to say those assholes wont beat or kill you after you hand over your cash.

At least thats the kind of thing I learned the hard way growing up, my original reply was obviously a hybrid of 2 mythical situations one being sam is 8 foot tall and made of muscle and one being of sam staring in an action movie.

If you think handing over your money is going to make a vicious, evil, scumbag feel that he doesnt need to give you a nice shiner or worse, your sadly mistaken.
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, which is worth more to you? your money or you life? granted if you have the "gut feeling" that your life is in danger then that's when you choose how to react.

But just because a guy comes up behind you and demands your wallet and you give it it up, it does not mean that you are weak. Just smart enough to stay alive and love your family!!!!!

[This message has been edited by goldencrane (edited 07-20-2004).]

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 12:41 PM

If someone bursts into the bathroom stall that you are using, just give up the wallet and pray that's all he wants. Fighting back in that environment is too risky. You can't possibly know who else is in the bathroom, what kind of weapons are involved, or if anyone would even here you call for help. If you cannot avoid the fight, then you better be real good with your knees and elbows. Fight like a crazed tiger, and make as much noise as possible!
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 09:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DecietfulSwing:
Sam is in a bathroom stall taking a whizz. The stalls lock is broken. All of a sudden while Sam zips his pants up, a guy walks in the stall,closes the door and says..."sshhhh i dont wanna fight...just gimmie your money." Sam says no. Sam is scared and takes a headbutt to the forehead. The guy says "shut up and gimmie da money." Sam then says ok...you want the money and reaches in his pocket and takes his hand out and gives the guy a straight right to the lip. Then another bigger guy pops out of the stall next to Sams, he is standing on the toilet and is an accomplice to the assailant...what should Sam do? [/QUOTE]

Why would he let another guy walk into the stall anyways? Sam has made far too many mistakes at this point to be saved. Had Sam learned to defend himself he would never had made said mistakes but its too late for that now. Bye Sam. Learn to protect yourself in the next life.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/20/04 09:58 PM

Sam, on hearing "gimme your money" at close range with nowhere to run, unfortunately, should strike first, hard and repeatedly. This is like an intruder in your house almost. Hit them whilst they are still talking, incapacitate and run, to a LEO or bouncer, or home. At close range, a skilled fighter can seriously harm an opponent whom they have an element of surprise over.

Stupid criminal though. Witness galore, cameras near entry and exit points, likely a crowded area. Or they are a local in a small town, and can be found easily. Sam and the criminal are both witless, IMO.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/22/04 12:15 AM

You never know what you would REALLY do until it happens, but...

I think Sam should be submissive and hand over his wallet right away. If the guy takes it and leaves, then Sam is only out some money and the inconvenience of replacing what was in it. What else would the guy want after that since he got what he wanted? But let's assume the bad guy does want more...

By Sam acting submissive the bad guy thinks Sam is not really a threat and lets his guard down a little. If Sam thinks the guy is going to attack him anyway, Sam sucker punches the bad guy (a nice hard shot straight to the jaw) and keeps hitting until the bad guy goes down. Then Sam takes off ASAP because most criminals almost always have A) A weapon B) Friends nearby C) Both.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/22/04 01:46 PM

As a slight side issue:-

I have had a few violent encounters in toilets [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ( err at work people)

It is a nightmare getting a violent man out of a cubicle if he doesn’t want to move!

If you are already in it (PROVIDING THEY ARE NOT ARMED) it should be a very good place to defend your self from, better than standing at the urinal and being attacked!!! Which im sure is most of us guys fear!!

Mark

PS: Lea, I wonder if you will read this thread and remember our last chat!! ROFL.

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 07-22-2004).]

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/22/04 02:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mark:
As a slight side issue:-

I have had a few violent encounters in toilets [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ( err at work people)

....so it is true! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/22/04 04:51 PM

ROFL Sharon,

And with your Husband!!!

Mark

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/23/04 04:12 AM

first off there isnt much choice but to fight in this situation! you have already been headbutted and hit the guy. They probably arent going to leave you be even if you do give up your wallet now.

the first thing i would do is jump. -- "it wont be hard to get as high as i need to be" -- while in the air i would start to brace myself on the top of the stall wall opisite of the 2nd guy. within the same motion i would brace my other hand on the back of his head grabbing hair "if hes bald then the back of his neck" pulling tward me and slamming his throught on the top of the stall wall.

"I do not care how big he is that will put him out of the action for at least a lil while"

when i am braceing him and the wall -- "remember this is one quick action only a second" -- I will slame one foot at the 1st guys throught and the other into his ribs -- "the kick to the throught will take him out a bit at least, but a nice kick to the ribs to knock his air out would more than triple the damage done. not only can he not breath one way, now the air he had is gone and he still cant breath" even if he manages to block one of the kicks, either that hit would daze him some!!! -- now remember i am still holding the other guys throught on the stall wall. he is probably knocked out by now, or at least to dazed to do anything" -- I would then let go of the wall and put all my weight onto the mans head. with the momentum i got from letting go, i would build up power with that arm and sock him in the nose!

-- "i have no dought that the man would fall unconcious "if not dead from his throught being crushed" probably hurting himself more in the small stall and on the hard toilet" --

then letting go I would drop to the floor, if they had someone else with them he would either shoot into the stall witch i would be able to do nothing about, or run to aid his fallen freind. But just in case i would sneak a quick peak out if the stall just to see. "it would take to long to say what i would do with two and three, so well just say there was 2"

i would then get to the first person as fast as i could if he was near a wall i would kick his face and knock his head into it untill he was out, "even if he blocked it kicking his hands hard enough would push his hands into his face and his head into the wall"

if he was on the floor i would jump on his stomic and chest and start punching him in the sides of his head untill he was out,

if he was somehow standing, he would still be dazed at least. i would then try a sweep, if i could not get one in on him i would come up hard and fast from the sweep with an uppercut punch to the chin. then while he was for sure to dazed to block, i would punch him in the sides oif the head untill he was out, if the sweep worked i would jump on his stomic and chest and start punching him in the sides of his head untill he was out.

The previous actions would only take 4-8 seconds

I would then proceed to the second man, there is no dought he would still be severly dazed, if not knocked out or dead. i would then easily be able to hit him or slam him into the walls or toilet untill he was out.

these actions should prevent me from any danger.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/23/04 12:12 PM

Good plan spiderman
Wonder Woman

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/23/04 07:13 PM

The first thing he should do if he fears that his life is in danger is ripout the guys eyes and throw them at the other guy. Them say something real crazy like "I'm gonna rip your heart out." And then he should go after the other one like a mad man.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/24/04 04:04 PM

I really hope these last couple of posts werent serious or their going to be some dead posters the first time someone tries to mug them. Throat shots, eyegouging, and acrobatic back flips will not save your life even IF they work without you failing miserably in the attempt; which is very likely due to adrenaline and opponent resistance.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/25/04 03:49 AM

Spiderman,

Thanks for yuor email, but to clarify, my above post was intended as humourous. I don't really think it's a good plan, I think it is a very bad one, and my name is WADO woman, I typed WONDER woman as a joke.

It is great that you are thinking of taking up martial arts, but be prepared that you will not see anything in the class akin to the spiderman films you are such a big fan of.

Sorry for any confusion/offence I may have caused.
Sharon

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/27/04 05:03 AM

I would cut the blighters in half with my Adamantium claws.

Then take wonderwoman to dinner, Linda Carter SIGH!!!!!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Wolverine

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 07-27-2004).]
Posted by: Yojimbo558

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 07/27/04 07:11 PM

Hi Sharon,

I agree with you in that if faced with a threat against my loved ones, I would attack...but over a wallet with easily replacable contents...why take the chance.

In the scenario described, Sam gets headbutted as part of the bad guy's intimidation to get Sam to comply. The first thing to note here is that in this scenario, not only has Sam failed to be Aware of his surroundings and have left himself open to his attacker following him into the stall.

But in the scenario provided by DecietfulSwing...it isn't until after he hands over the money after being headbutted that Sam learns that his attacker has backup...and it could be argued that he learns this because he's chose to strike his Mugger...and that the backup might not have revealed himself if he'd just complied.

After handing over the wallet Sam sadly picked a poor target. I might have selected a kick to the shin so that as he bent over he'd be set for a nice knee to the chin.

This scenario reminds me of an incident that really did occur a few years ago. My friend Adalberto was coming to California to visit and train for a few weeks from Puerto Rico. Prior to his trip, their had been a series of muggings where good martial artists had been either killed or injured.

On the night before Adalberto's flight, after leaving a bar, he was approached on the street by a man who demanded his money. Adalberto side stepped him and kept walking.

The surprised individual drew a gun and came after him. Adalberto gaged the distance of the individual, and the position with which he was holding the gun.

While the individual was within the range with which Adalberto had practised gun disarms. Remembering that other Martial Artists had recently been injured or killed in muggings recently...Adalberto did what his contemporaries hadn't. He looked around to see if his Mugger was alone & discovered that he wasn't. If he had struck he'd have been shot by this guys backup.

Adalberto gave them the money, he's a 4th Degree in Shorenji Ryu & a 4th Degree in Jujutsu. Yes as someone stated in a post...if you give them the money they may still attack...and they might not.

Had Adalberto attacked the Mugger instead of checking to see if the guy had any backup he would have been shot in the back and his wife & 3 children could have lost him. By complying he kept his life & as Sharon pointed out...replaced his money.

Adalberto's failing was being out late, and selecting a car in the wrong part of town, dressing nice to make him standout...and then having parked so far away from the bar that he stood out as he left and began walking several blocks to where he left it. It was his rank that let him do so...as he told himself that he could handle anyone if someone tried something. Instead of protecting him...these actions are what led to the Muggers selecting him as a target.

Eric
Posted by: c_maj7th

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/14/04 05:52 PM

Sam should be more selective in the places he frequents.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/15/04 12:58 AM

well if i were int his position and i had just punch the guy and realized there was an acoplise...i would most likely do the first thing that came to my mind...(not being a strategic thinker) i would run like hell.. after i had hit the man i would push him out of the stall..and just run like hell...if there were a guy in the way it would have been football season..even for a little guy like me.. some person running out of stall ...and right into the watcher (guy who checks for witnesses) he would most likly be looking around..and boom out the door...afer that there would be no way these men could catch me...simple as that ...lol unless he pulled out a gun and shot me in the back..which would **** ...

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/15/04 07:05 AM

Sam is really a suicide bomber and was in the process of priming his bomb when the mugger walked in, the dillema for sam is not if he should hand over his wallet but if he should change his plan and blow up the mens toilets along with the unfortunate mugger and his accomplice! :-) "Purely hypothetical of course"
Posted by: Khayman

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/16/04 03:47 PM

With 3 people inside the stalls there aint going to be much room. The two attackers probably wont be able to stand side by side therefore if SAM is by the toilet he will probably have a column of two attackers to deal with. This is easier that one either side, SAM only has to worry about one attacker at a time. I would take out the first attacker with a hand strike depending on how he falls I would either go straight for the second attacker or use attacker no 1 as a shield.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/18/04 12:59 PM

In the situation you described only. I would kick or hit #1 again. Then since #2 is standing on the tolite seat (I had to read it again to make sure Sam wasn't on the seat)I'd probably reach up and pull him dowm onto the tolite in my stall (head first I'd hope) then grab #1 and pivot/throw him into #2 then run like hell.

As to in general - If I was in no preceived danger I would NOT hit first. In court all his lawyer would need to do is have him say "all I did was ask him for his money then he attacked me." You either have to admit this is what happened or purjure yourself in court.

NOTHING in your wallet (or purse) is worth your life.
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 08/19/04 02:40 AM

go low on the guy standing in the door(shoot for the legs for example) to take him to the ground and stay low enough not to get grabbed by the other guy, this should be fairly easy since you just punched him in the face. Then if he hasn't grabbed you, you should attempt to get out of the bathroom or at least in a more open space with a wall to your back and your attackers in front of you. If he has then you should go for the groin and get up.
Reaper

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 09/19/04 08:40 PM

the stall is cramped and with three people standing there isn't really any space. Stalls here in the US the walls are 2 to 2.5 feet off the ground. Sam could drop, cover his face and roll under that. he wouldn't have to worry about being kicked since there wouldn't be enough room to wind up. That leaves two men in a stall and sam with a clear dash to the door. When Sam drops to roll out the assailents would probably take it as a cue to attack so the would focus their movement into the stall and it would take too much time to reposition and leave the stall before Sam opens the door.

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 09/20/04 10:36 AM

Robert Cheshire-

You mentioned that you wouldn't hit first. Just thought I'd clarify this, Sam has already been headbutted.

How much does Sam weigh? Could he run over the guy blocking the door and make a break for it?
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario) - 09/22/04 05:17 PM

He can have my wallet I got no money anyway