A BASIC self-defence teckneque

Posted by: Anonymous

A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/17/04 07:06 AM

I have been learning teckneques know for about 5 years thinking that I am getting close to my black belt grading, to then realize that I have only learnd the basics of the teckneques and that there is more to these relistic self-defence monoeuvers than meats the eye.
Thay are drills:- to build up timing and speed, principles and monoeuvers to develop starnceand angles to create maximum damage with minimal effort.
the closer I get, the further I fall.
I have started assist in teaching juiors and have coverd adult lessons, I am starting to think that by teaching I learn more than when I train!
I have completed a fitness instructor course I thought this might help get me closer to my goal but insted has dug a hole.
I am trying not to compromise training with teaching but feal the need to do both!
am I going in the right direction or am I trying to hard?

[This message has been edited by xblis (edited 07-17-2004).]

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/17/04 07:08 AM

Depends. You learning for sport or self-defence?

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/17/04 07:10 AM

both

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/17/04 07:12 AM

to develop the self defence but to build an athelete in me as well

[This message has been edited by xblis (edited 07-17-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/17/04 08:28 AM

Something to think about....

"The more I know,the more I climb, yet the mountain justs gets higher. The more I try, the more I focus, the depth is limitless. There is no end in sight. That is karate, my life."

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/18/04 05:51 PM

Great one schanne!

It seems that you are getting to the point that we all get to at one time or another. You are beginning to truly see how involved MA is. By teaching you should naturally see that there is still so much that you don't know. By teaching you will have many questions, ones of your own and ones of your students. Let none of these go unanswered. Teaching is training. They are one in the same. One must do both to ever be complete in MA. The more you learn, the more you will realize you don't know. Stay on the path!
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/18/04 06:11 PM

That nice but....why does it take so long to get a black belt? I think, my opinion, that there is so much milking this rank and that rank you might as well buy a boat to sink your money into. Can't see how the fitness instructor can dig a hole....more MA should have personal training certs...
So if you are not satisfied...look at the school...sit back and see if you are being taken for a ride...compare yourself to other BB's ( blackbelts ) in the school. I taught BB's in teakwondo and I thaught they had the worst balance and concepts I had ever seen.
If you like the school and what you do then who care about the whole BS belt system anyway.....work on being your best. Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/19/04 02:24 PM

Many schools do milk their ranks for all they can and charge for rank testing for each meaningless rank that they add so you spend tons more $. But, every school does not run this way. All schools are not in it for the money. Many just have strict goals that must be met and principles that must be understood. It is not all about learning how to do techniques properly. A brown belt in my system has the basic physical tools to become a black belt, but is truly not ready due to the other aspects of training (heart and mind).

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/27/04 12:40 PM

My instructor never takes money off me and the cost of grade is cheep he has bort a church with 2 halls and wants to make training free!
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/28/04 01:49 AM

*Sniff sniff*

I smell a McDojang...

No offense intended.

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 07/31/04 02:37 PM

nun taken.

not a big club yet, there is no competitions we only need to by 1 uniform and we are not intrested in making money.
we are good and frendly club.
if thats a comurshalised club then thats whot we are.

[This message has been edited by xblis (edited 07-31-2004).]

[This message has been edited by xblis (edited 07-31-2004).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: A BASIC self-defence teckneque - 08/01/04 02:20 AM

Some styles have a rather large curriculum, however, a lot of that curriculum is cash motivated or sport techniques that arent intended to save your ass anyways. I agree with Ed. Step back and look at your school. Compare yourself with the other students and BB. Then check other similar schools and see how you feel about your training in comparison to theres and their black belts.