Take a Lesson from Mike Valley.

Posted by: Anonymous

Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 04:41 AM

Okay for those of you who don't know, Mike Valley is a professional skater. Now I'm a skater myself, a street skater, like many, and we DO cop a lot of crap. In fact we get in a lot of fights etc. Seems people just don't like us.

When I saw this video of Mike Valley I nearly cheered out loud. It's a video of Mike Valley standing up for skaters, against some skater-haters (posers if you ask me.

4 guys call Mike a skater fag and start giving him shit, then mike gets in their faces, you can see this is when they get nervous and wonder if they picked on the wrong guy.

BANG! Mike takes these guys on all at once and doesn't get a scratch.

See for yourself:
http://www.possesed-dolly.com/soapurb/Mikewins.AVI

- This guy can fight.

[This message has been edited by Soapurb (edited 07-17-2004).]
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 06:26 AM

Ok good mindset...good awarness...moved but stayed in the center of the circle when he had a chance to get out...agressive but didn't take out anyone....his opponents were kids...overall...8.5. Not bad would of gave him a 9+ if he knocked someone out. Ed

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 06:29 AM

I just like it.

He didn't take shit and hence threw the first punch, but pulled out once he proved his point.

I don't think there was a real need to really mess them up, just the fact that he went up to them and told them what he thought of them to their faces seemed like enough to freak them out.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 05:43 PM

He is an idiot.
He attacked people for verbal provocation? That my friend is assault,plain and simple.
He also takes his shirt off standing fairly close to the idiots he assaults.
If you can't take being taunted and made fun of, lock your delicate little self in a sound proof room and never come out.

He is a moron, plain and simple.
Posted by: Raven

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 09:02 PM

Him taking off his shirt was a little bit corney. And I agree with Neko, that guy is a moron.

But Hey thats a nice Jeep in the background
The first thing I noticed was the Jeep. Sorry I couldn't resist, I'm a jeep fan, i like most of them [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Dude, he beats up kids, thats messed up. He's one big tough bull now. *sarcastic tone*

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 10:13 PM

Lucky for Mike, none of the kids he was assaulting knew any judo throws. Its hard to skate with a cracked pelvis.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 10:14 PM

If you can't handle sticking up for yourself, your the moron.

I've attacked heaps of people who gave me **** , and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

They were younger than him but they were hardly kids, youd think that if someone has the balls to pay someone out they should at least have the balls to fight them. Your a gutless wonder nekogami, some people are willing to be charged with assult to shutup idiots who bite off more than they can chew.

If you think people should only fight in self defence fair enough, but please try to understand other peoples feelings, to some, self defence isn't just a physical thing.

EDIT: I take of my shirt if I get the chance before a fight. Any person with half a brain knows fighting gives you stretched and ripped clothing. Maybe your a spoilt little rich kid, but some people don't like to destroy their clothes, especially if they are new.

[This message has been edited by Soapurb (edited 07-17-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 11:01 PM

I am not some hormone crazed adolescent who believes honor, integrity, health or self esteem can be damaged by the prattling of a group refugees from the short bus.

Taking your shirt off that close to your opponents, thereby covering your face and opening you up to all kinds of nasty things is stupid.

Risking your health and freedom because someone insults you is stupid.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 11:11 PM

Maybe for people who loose their love for life... Notice LIFE, not living...

So you beat some people up who insults you? Shuts them up, doesnt it?

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 11:29 PM

In the city where I live, the more likely outcome is they return with a firearm and kill you or those standing close to you.

Words are just words,sound made by moving air-they cannot harm anyone and they mean nothing unless coming from someone you respect and care about.

I am secure enough in who I am, have enough of a positive self image and strength of mind not to be effected by morons "mouthing off".
Posted by: Tengu51

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/17/04 11:30 PM

Ok, disregarding the fact that he started the fight...

not bad.

As Ed said, he had a good awareness. Every time someone started to come up from behind he spun quickly, ready to go.

Taking the shirt off is a dead give away. Sorry, but I've seen people get beat as soon as it was over their head.

Actual fighting skill...ehh. Wild punches, low hands, off balance. But, what the hell, he knew what he was doing, and didn't get his ass handed to him.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 01:16 AM

You call us spoiled rich kids? Ha talk for yourself, look I would never take off my shirt, if those kids were carrying knives they could have easily stabbed him, if they had guns, they could have shot him to death while his shirt was up, there's a second where you can't see.

I think you should get out of your fantasy world.

Look I agree with Neko all the way, I'm confident with my ability, and just cuz someones says something to you isn't reason enough to beat them back. Its stupid if you do, and again I like the Jeep Wrangler in the background.

Your completely in denial, get a life and learn, the word out there ain't a pretty one.

Raven

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 01:25 AM

I take quite a lot of offence to that.

I grew up in Port Augusta, never heard of it? Didn't think so. Its a town in south australia, it's rife with petty crime, drugs, and angry broken down, stoned, drunk, violent street punks, a lot of them. This town earned the name "Port A Gutter" just for the fact that it's a gangland slum.

I'm in no fantasy world mate. I know how the street works, and what you small-minded gits don't seem to understand is that that was a brawl, not a street fight. Valley aint a street fighter, no street fighter would do that, they know the dangers, they know that there are guys out there with friends who own black cadilacs and colt .45's. But that wasn't a street fight, if it was it would have ended with someone being put in hospital, watch closely, it ends with them braking it off of their own will and going their seperate ways. No vicous post-fight attacks, no grudges, it's over.

Get over your own fantasy world where you think just because you've been in a few fights with wannabe punks who are probablly just subway samwich artists, that you know the street inside and out. Any idiot can tell the difference between your average asshole, and a crack-crazed, knife weilding, gun-slinging nutjob who thinks his own excriment is worth more than your life. And those guys might have been assholes, but they were hardly street-hardned sickos with a lust for blood.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 01:41 AM

Oh I'm sorry I forgot that brawls are different to street fights, and that 'brawls' don't EVER turn into street fights. It doesn't matter if it was a 'brawl' they still could have been carrying knives and it was still stupid for him to attack them without any provocation.

And it was ESPECIALLY stupid for him to take off his shirt. Oh he didn't want to damage his shirt my butt, he's a pro skater isn't he? I'm sure he can find another one easily.

What if the fathers or older family members of the kids saw this? Lets say they were carrying guns, you think they would let some skater punk beat up their family, yeah right, he's lucky he didn't get his @ss shot up.

Oh wait, if it wasn't that big of a fight or that much importance, why should we take a lesson from this guy? Yeah my point exactly.
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 02:46 AM

Hey a fellow south australian [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] im originaly from pt agusta 2 dude, i live in adelaide at the moment anyways i thnk the reason for mike v taking off his shirt was to stop his opponents from being able to grip it, it would probabl help him a little if he grapled.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 02:48 AM

White-Tiger, What's your real name?

I'm Zach Kenny.

EDIT: Hey wait a minute are you the guy who grandad is like a legend at karate?

[This message has been edited by Soapurb (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 03:01 AM

Raven by the way, pro skaters don't make that much money.

But yeh he could easily get another shirt, skaters get free clothes, decks, trucks, bearings, griptape, shoes, hats, whatever, because we generally get sponcored by skategear stores.

I have a small sponno, I'll leave it the tiger to guess who it is, lol, it aint much but it's a start.
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 04:44 AM

Hey zach, na my grandpa(s) wernt ledgends at karate. But if u know any hutchisons or smythes around pt agusta they are relatives of mine.hmm would your sponsor be a local surf/skate shop? i brought a deck from i think it was salt bush (not 100% i bought it about 6 months ago)

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 02:39 PM

Hmm.... It could be that the video doesn't tell the entire story. I understand that these things need to be short due to space and bandwidth limitations. From what we SAW it did look as if he threw the fist punch. All I could hear was music and someone grunting so I don't know if he was simply being insulted or he was being threatened. Insults should be shrugged off. I'm hoping that no on this board really has skin that thin or egos that fragile. However if he was being threatened by the several individuals you could see, then making a pre-emptive strike is a viable tactic IF he really believed that they intended to carry out the threats. I can't say one way or the other because I simply lack enough information.

He did okay keeping distance and watching all sides, but I've got to agree with the thing about the shirt. Taking it off was not all that smart. But otherwise he didn't do too bad. I would have preferred to have taken the worst offender and hurt him bad enough to make the other rethink thier position. I've used that tactic twice in my life and it worked well both times.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 05:54 PM

For starters those who feel so freely to call Mike an idiot maybe you should understand that this was not unprovoked. The guys in the video are not kids, but in there early 20's. At the time Mike was about 31. It was more than name calling, one of them swerved as if trying to hit a small group of guys skating (one happened to be Mike) then one of the guys started with the "skater fag" comments. Should he have attacked them like he did? No, but not everyone is willing to let things of this nature go unanswered.

"He is an idiot.
He attacked people for verbal provocation? That my friend is assault,plain and simple."

No, this is battery. Assault is verbal.

"If you can't take being taunted and made fun of, lock your delicate little self in a sound proof room and never come out."

You don't know the situation. I doubt anyone here has never been in a confrontation due to name calling. Most fights start as verbal confrontations. But it's easy to call people names here since they will never hear you. Not everyone was raised to turn the other cheek.

"Him taking off his shirt was a little bit corney."

I agree, but it could have been a form of intimidation or to keep them from having something to hold onto. Not a good idea though when they are 2 feet from you.

The simple fact is there are guys out there who enjoy going around and starting trouble with skaters. I ran into quite a few of them when i was growing up. I no Mike did too, we started skating about the same time. He is just good enough to get paid for it, i wasn't. I've met Mike a few times and he is a really nice guy and would bend over backwards to ehlp people. He doesn't make it a habit of getting into fights, but he doesn't take crap from anyone either. That's not how he came up.

Soapurb,

"Raven by the way, pro skaters don't make that much money."

I don't know what pro skaters your talking about but all the ones i know make at least $150k a year. Competitions, board sells and promotions pay well. My wife's boss is the financial advisor for Rob Dyrdek, that little brat has more money than he knows what to do with. One more thing, it's Mike Vallely not Valley.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 08:47 PM

OK, he did well. I know plenty of folks who can take care of themselves who have never set foot in dojo. I'm still at a loss as to why you are here with so much crap to say about people who study MA's? Without writing a book, what YOU see is not what an MA sees in this. The fact that all four of these guys had their heads up their asses and didn't recognize that he was "throughing down" for a fight when he took off his shirt had everything to do with the outcome.

Honestly, no disrespect intended to you. It is what it is. In spite of your joy at him defending the honor of skaters, it's a garden variety fight that lasted 30 seconds. No one hurt badly, everyone walks away.

[This message has been edited by KiDoHae (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 09:00 PM

kidohae,

Who is your post directed at?

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 09:18 PM

Yep tiger, my sponno is Saltbush [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I know 150k is a lot, but not compared to what some other professional sporting figures would earn.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 09:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
[
What if the fathers or older family members of the kids saw this? Lets say they were carrying guns, you think they would let some skater punk beat up their family, yeah right, he's lucky he didn't get his @ss shot up.

[/QUOTE]

Raven, haven't you heard? They have been outlawing guns down under like crazy. But crime has gone up in several catagoires so the goverment now has a new law going they are trying to pass that will outlaw swords and laser pointers! That'll really make a difference! Skaters will be so much safer.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 09:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laf7773:
kidohae,

Who is your post directed at?
[/QUOTE]

My appologies, the original post actually. (The same theme has found it's way into other areas of the forum.) I read the other refrences to this and, for the record, I'm not deminshing the emotional side of this. I know little of Aussie culture and this seems to have some serious under-currents to it.

If you take away the "context" of who said what and why it was offensive, etc., etc.,
it's just a guy in a parking lot with a few a knuckleheads. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by KiDoHae (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 10:21 PM

laf7773 ur my hero. as i was reading through all these replies i was gunna say exactly what u sed. skaters make tonnes of money for neone who doesnt know, so it isnt like he has nothing to do with his life but go around and fight. he was entirley provoked, no they didnt harm him with words but he didnt seriously hurt neone else either, he made a statement, one which prolly saved him some hassle later on, and thank u for correcting, its deffinatley vallely. maybe not the best choice to test 4 guys, but most street punks r P***y's and try to act all big, he acted on instinct and it payed off

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 10:28 PM

laf7773 ur my hero. as i was reading through all these replies i was gunna say exactly what u sed. skaters make tonnes of money for neone who doesnt know, so it isnt like he has nothing to do with his life but go around and fight. he was entirley provoked, no they didnt harm him with words but he didnt seriously hurt neone else either, he made a statement, one which prolly saved him some hassle later on, and thank u for correcting, its deffinatley vallely. maybe not the best choice to test 4 guys, but most street punks r P***y's and try to act all big, he acted on instinct and it payed off

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 10:55 PM

Laff, in the state of texas, city of Houston (where I live and familiar with the law) there is no such thing as battery.
Striking someone is assault.The youngsters in question have made no threatening movements towards him on the video.
Verbaly threatening someone is making a terroristic threat(in Houston, Texas).

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 10:59 PM

150k a year is a lot of money when a good number of pro skaters are under 25. Rob stands to make more than 400k this year.

I can tell you, if i was in back home where i used to skate and four guys converged on me like that calling me names i would have done the same thing. Shirt on of course. The reason is i know all too well how those things tend to end back home. There were certain groups that made a habit of driving around at night looking for one or two guys out skating to start trouble with. They always out number you, otherwise they keep driving. The one guy that got the first shot was obviously running his mouth since his friend kept laughing. These guys were out acting stupid and started with the wrong guy and got what they deserved. Nothing serious came of it other than some embarrassment from being beaten by the "skater fag". It may have been the wrong thing to do but i can understand Mike's mentality during the whole thing.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 11:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13 V2.0:
Laff, in the state of texas, city of Houston (where I live and familiar with the law) there is no such thing as battery.
Striking someone is assault.The youngsters in question have made no threatening movements towards him on the video.
Verbaly threatening someone is making a terroristic threat(in Houston, Texas).
[/QUOTE]

Well this must be new. Because in Houston, TX where I lived for 24 years prior to joining the military, my best friend was sent to jail for 5 months for assault and battery. Another friend was put on probation for 2 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (not very good choice of friends at the time). What happened with the aggravated assault case was a rather decent sum of money (3k I think) was stolen from my friend. The guy who took it wasn't aware he was found out and came over a couple of days later. My friend pulled a knife on him and told him he was going to cut his f***ing throat if he didn't get him his money back. The guy ran and called the cops. Never touched the guy so it was assault, add the knife for aggravated assault. This was maybe 8 or 9 years ago so things may have changed since then. I have a couple of friends on the police force in that area, I’ll ask them.

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/18/04 11:23 PM

The youngsters in question have made no threatening movements towards him on the video.

But you didn't see what happened before the camera was on.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 12:17 AM

No, I have know way of knowing what happened before the video. Were you there?
I am going by what is shown.

Texas penal code:
TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
CHAPTER 19. CRIMINAL HOMICIDE
CHAPTER 19 (PDF) CHAPTER 19 (Microsoft Word)
CHAPTER 20. KIDNAPPING AND UNLAWFUL RESTRAINT
CHAPTER 20 (PDF) CHAPTER 20 (Microsoft Word)
CHAPTER 20A. TRAFFICKING OF PERSONS
CHAPTER 20A (PDF) CHAPTER 20A (Microsoft Word)
CHAPTER 21. SEXUAL OFFENSES
CHAPTER 21 (PDF) CHAPTER 21 (Microsoft Word)
CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES
SECTION 22.01. ASSAULT
SECTION 22.011. SEXUAL ASSAULT
SECTION 22.015. COERCING, SOLICITING, OR INDUCING GANG MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
SECTION 22.021. AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT
SECTION 22.04. INJURY TO A CHILD, ELDERLY INDIVIDUAL, OR DISABLED INDIVIDUAL
SECTION 22.041. ABANDONING OR ENDANGERING CHILD
SECTION 22.05. DEADLY CONDUCT
SECTION 22.06. CONSENT AS DEFENSE TO ASSAULTIVE CONDUCT
SECTION 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT
SECTION 22.08. AIDING SUICIDE
SECTION 22.09. TAMPERING WITH CONSUMER PRODUCT
SECTION 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE
SECTION 22.11. HARASSMENT BY PERSONS IN CERTAIN CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES
SECTION 22.12. APPLICABILITY TO CERTAIN CONDUCT

No mention of an offense called "battery".

definition of assault: § 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if
the person:
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes
bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with
imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or
(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical
contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably
believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or
provocative.

Texas penal code found at: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 12:17 AM

Battery also is a misdemeanor under Texas law, punishable by up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $4000.

As the name implies, an intentional tort is a wrong based on an intentional action, as contrasted with carelessness. Battery is an example of an intentional tort--the defendant intended to hit the plaintiff. Other examples of intentional torts include assault (threatening someone with physical violence), false imprisonment, invasion of privacy, and trespass. Defamation usually is considered an intentional tort, because the defendant intentionally prints or speaks the defamatory statement.

Looks like assault can be both physical and verbal.

Under Texas law, assault is a misdemeanor; however, assault becomes the more serious crime of aggravated assault if the offender uses a firearm or other deadly weapon, the assault causes serious bodily injury, the assault is in retaliation against a witness or informant, or the assault is against a government employee acting in his or her official capacity. Generally, assault is defined as intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly injuring or threatening to injure a person or the person's spouse. Additionally, assault includes intentionally causing physical contact with another person if the offender knows the physical contact will be offensive to the victim.

Both right, both wrong. Still no reason to call a man an idiot based on 30 seconds of video footage you know nothing about.

My apologies on my mistake.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 12:25 AM

edited because of stupid back button

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 07-19-2004).]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 01:05 AM

I am not a lawyer.
In the 12 years I have worked in Loss Prevention I have never heard of anyone ever being charged with battery. It is always simple assault, assault, agravated assault or robbery.

Live and learn I guess.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 11:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13 V2.0:
I am not a lawyer.
In the 12 years I have worked in Loss Prevention I have never heard of anyone ever being charged with battery. It is always simple assault, assault, agravated assault or robbery.

Live and learn I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 07/19/04 12:37 PM

It's not like they were all on him at the same time. I'd hardly call him a great fighter. Ballsy though, I'll give him that.

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 10/20/04 09:14 PM

Ok look at the guy, taking off your shirt with them there is risking a little bruise at the most. And I skate as well, and countless people have called me skater fag, and adults look down on us constantly so maybe just that one insult pushed him over the edge. The guy is huge and proves skate fags kick ass. And if you do a karate or anything move in a fight that proves your a pussy and need to be taught to defend yourself, while Big Mike V, myself, and countless others rely on fists and in some occasions good ol' forehead. Just the other day I took out 2 kids, mind you I took my shirt off before I got there cause I am only 220 (not fat i work out 5 days week).

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 10/27/04 10:38 PM

these guys are stupid for tryin to mess with mike hes the size of vin diesel i like in the vid how he took a swing at each of them. there also stupid casue when some one take there shirt off in an argument there gunna fight those guys just froze even after he through a punch they were all stunned. go mike!!!!!
ps. no matter how young they are he beat 4 of them that take skills

oh and by the way australia is the best

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 12/02/04 05:00 PM

Hando is from Australia.......

I dont think i would have taken my shirt off. you can get hurt while lifting the shirt over your head. It happened to me once. I was taking off my sweater and while it was over my head this guy punched me in the nuts. It hit 100% nuts. I dropped like a sack of potatoes. I laid there wimpering for what seemed like an eternity. when i got up, the pain had moved to my stomach, and i had no will to fight back. Same thing could've happened to MV

Re: Take a Lesson from Mike Valley. - 12/02/04 05:46 PM

Ballsy, but hella' sloppy. Basically, a random assault on a bunch of weaklings. I don't think I saw a single one of them take a swing for that matter. They were just trying to get away from him from what I can tell. Oh, and I agree with everyone, he shouldn't have taken his shirt off. He was lucky it was a bunch of tennis players and not a football team, lol.