J Kogas

Posted by: Ed Glasheen

J Kogas - 07/12/04 03:29 PM

John, you stated in another post that JKD has changed...can you further explain. Ed
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: J Kogas - 07/12/04 10:27 PM

If I may. JKD was largely based on Kung Fu when it was originally devised. Emphasis was placed mostly on faking and striking. While faking and striking are still a large part of it it is now based more upon BJJ and Western boxing, with a little Muay Thai. There is more weapons and weapons defense training now as well. Jkd is constantly training and varies greatly from school to school. My training is still based largely on the striking side of it where as John grapples more. Also there are more FMA involved than when Bruce was alive. Imsure John could explain more as his training is more modern JKD than my own. A traditional JKD guy? Oxymoron at its finest.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: J Kogas - 07/24/04 11:10 PM

Ed, Check the JKD Concepts thread in Martial arts talk. Good stuff there.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: J Kogas - 07/26/04 06:35 PM

Ed --

JKD is constantly evolving and must always do so, if it's to live in accordance with it's principles.

Of course that depends also with whom a person is studying. Some folks don't agree that it should evolve at all. Those people paint JKD as a "style" that should be rigid and "fixed" (the fixed pattern that Bruce Lee so abhorred). Naturally I think this goes against JKD's very principles.

So the short answer is yes, it's definitely changing.

-John