wrestler revenge

Posted by: Anonymous

wrestler revenge - 07/01/04 07:54 PM

i recenly had my face slammed in the ground by a state champion "freestyle" wrestler. What would be the best style to counter his style? I have a little folk style experience, but nothing worth too much. My thinking is to either go wrestling (maybe a better street-suited style) and beat him at his own game, or to go complete opposite with some type of evasive striking (kung-fu?) art. My friend is a tkd black belt and even with my little bit of high school wrestling I can beat him, so that's out. thnx 4 responses
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/01/04 09:13 PM

brazilian jujitsu, submission wrestling and some good ol' boxing.
Posted by: Raven

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/01/04 11:30 PM

If you can't do the boxing then go for kickboxing, try to go with Muay Thai.
Posted by: John_C

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/02/04 05:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
If you can't do the boxing then go for kickboxing, try to go with Muay Thai.[/QUOTE]

I'd say something where your training includes going up against people who are allowed to use wrestling moves on you. (And actually do so in training).

That's all that really matters, not what they call the style.

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/02/04 09:57 AM

john c(or any one else): do you know of any quality combat schools in minnesota. we have had a few top ranked ufc guys come from here, but i don't know where they trained/train. thnx
Posted by: Raven

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/02/04 02:45 PM

John, I agree with you completely, except when I posted that I meant to say, go for the bjj, submissoin wrestling..there you have your wrestling arts, then try to go for a stand up(though to be truthful, the stand up fighting isn't really necessary once your good at grappling, but its always good be well rounded)so I'm still recommending a stand up fighting art, and thats why I said, if you can't do boxing(just like neko said) then go for a kickboxing art.

Thats what I meant, sorry if i was confusing. Also my comment was meant to be stemmed off of Nekogami's comment.
Posted by: WADO 1

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/02/04 03:48 PM

If he's state champ and you have really no experience in martial arts you won't be able to beat him without a weapon. Understand to qualify for state this guy must have been wrestling for at least 8 years and to win he must also be in exceptional shape. It will take you years to beat him.
Posted by: Doughnut

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/02/04 03:55 PM

Where in MN? Lots of good Gyms, but region is big and distance could be a problem.

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/03/04 12:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WADO 1:
If he's state champ and you have really no experience in martial arts you won't be able to beat him without a weapon. Understand to qualify for state this guy must have been wrestling for at least 8 years and to win he must also be in exceptional shape. It will take you years to beat him.[/QUOTE]... While I am well aware of the challenge that befronts me..... give me a break. Many, some may some most, of the champions of today were the rejected kids of past. No offense to high school all stars, but, dan gable did NOT recruit 4 year champs for his teams. He recruited heart and will. That built great athletes. Not what age someone started at or how far beyond their peers they are, but how far they can go. Anyway, I didn't say I had no experience, my best friend is a black belt in TKD and I have a litlle folk style. This guy is just different and better than me. years are not an option WADO!
Posted by: WADO 1

Re: wrestler revenge - 07/06/04 10:24 AM

Well then you understand he is bigger stronger and a better fighter than you the only thing left is deception and dirty tricks. Focus on one move and do it 10,000 times untill it becomes as natural as brushing your teeth then try to stay as calm as possible and hope to hit that technique. There is an old Japanese story of a monk who was ordered to fight a duel with a Samurai and was given a sword and one night to prepare, the monks abbot told him to hold the sword above his head and meditate on the sensation of coolness and one downward stroke. The samurai ended up apologizing the next day when he observed the monks disposition. Pick one move and focus on that move and meditate on calmness.