how do u get out of a headlock?

Posted by: demochrno

how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/16/04 06:31 PM

My question is simple how do u get out of a headlock?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/16/04 08:32 PM

A standing headlock or a headlock on the ground?

There are multiple ways of getting out of a standing headlock. The 'street' guys are all going to say the same thing: "HIT 'EM IN THE GROIN".

I prefer other methods (not that I'm totally against that tactic either). Arm drag out is one, a drop sweep is another (it's some judo counter throw and I can't think of it's Japanese name). The drop sweep once done, can lead you right into an arm bar.

The ground headlocks involve, turning onto your side to assist in gaining leverage. Either hooking the hip with your uppermost leg, framing up and pushing the opponent's head away then hooking it with your leg, or bridging your opponent and rolling him over -- are all viable tactics. And, you aren't going to be able to learn them from a stinking forum. Find a teacher to show them to you (join a judo, BJJ or wrestling club).

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 06-16-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 01:03 AM

Bite his arm...

If that's not possible, dont let him get u in a headlock. If you see someone's trying to, remember they need both arms to do so.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 01:23 AM

Stick your fingers in his nosrtils or eyes then rip.or hittem in the groin. If your serious about that kind of stuss listen to JKOGAS, he knows.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 01:37 AM

If in a street scenario, wrestling someone on the ground kinda beats around the bush. Go straight for the vitals once you have an opportunity. What Chen Zen said...rip eyes, nostrils, groin.

Unless you know how, going to the ground in a street fight is suicide.

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 06-17-2004).]

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 01:44 AM

Chen Zen, did you name yourself after the character played by Jet Li in "Fist of Legend?" ...loved that movie.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 01:47 AM

Thats the one! Greatest movie ever.
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 04:48 AM

If some one has you in a head lock please dont hit them in the groin unless you would like to die.. if some one is hit in the groin they tense up, if they are chocking you (with a head lock) them tensing up is gonna kill you.
Its sorta hard to explain with out a demonstration but the correct way of getting out of a headlock is to step forward with your stronger leg and throw your weight towards it, your attacker should tumble over ( iv done this to people who weigh much more than me and it worked)
Posted by: mongoose

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 09:25 AM

Another way to get out of headlocks that always works for me is to create a "frame". It is explained
here. Sometimes when your friends are messing around, u cant just duff them in the face or knee them in the groin.
Posted by: schanne

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 12:46 PM

There are three that we have been tought. I will teach you one. Your in a head lock and your opponent has you bent over cranking on your neck. First lets assume he is right handed, reach your left arm around hehind his shoulder up toward his face, your hand will now be in his facial area. Place your hand under his nose (ridge hand) and push upward. That part of your nose is very sensitive and he won't be able to stay in that position for long. As your pushing the nose in the upward motion your left leg is used to sweep his right leg out from under him. Your opponent will fall in a backward motion. This works very well, try it in class.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/17/04 12:48 PM

Do you guys know what a "victory roll" is?
Posted by: kyokushinkid_9

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/27/04 07:14 AM

grab the soft flesh in the upper inner theigh, below the groin, 9hurts LIKE HELLL) grab it squeeezze it a nd pinch it. my karate teacher did it on me and i gotta say OUUGHHH
Posted by: JKogas

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/27/04 10:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay:
If in a street scenario, wrestling someone on the ground kinda beats around the bush. Go straight for the vitals once you have an opportunity. What Chen Zen said...rip eyes, nostrils, groin.
[/QUOTE]

Chen Zen was kidding...

Going for the eyes, nostrils and groin, etc. are NOT the way to get out of headlocks, especially on the ground. You'd better have technical skills first, before you go about REACHING for any sort of targets like that. The problem with going for those "vitals" is that you're being set up for those things and don't realize it. Why take the chance?

The technical escapes are easy enough and don't expose you to having your arms broken and shoulders dislocated when attempting to gouge the eyes, etc.

I say this because I train heavily in submission wrestling. I anticipate such attacks, even when rolling with my students and partners. Moving your arms away from your body in ANY sort of reaching attempt with the exception of framing up (preparing an escape attempt, such as a headlock) is going to put your body out of position.

-John
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/27/04 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
The problem with going for those "vitals" is that you're being set up for those things and don't realize it. Why take the chance?
-John
[/QUOTE]

True of wrestling and even stand up stuff like armbars.

Come to think of it, a boxer will chnage their guard to feign vulnerability if it means thay can open you up and strike as you attept to take advantage of them.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/27/04 12:56 PM

I assumed that the opponent was not a martial artist but some average bum off the street. If someone is trying to get you in a headlock, grab him by the balls and give him a little lift. Chances are, he will not care about the headlock anymore. I also assumed that it was not on the ground. The groin is an overestimated target, but not if you attack it correctly. What I was getting at is more of a mentallity than a technique. Do not let him get you in a headlock. If he gets you in one, do not play fair.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 06/30/04 11:22 PM

Chen Zen was kidding... Moving your arms away from your body in ANY sort of reaching attempt with the exception of framing up (preparing an escape attempt, such as a headlock) is going to put your body out of position.

-John
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations John you were the only one who knew. Keeping people on there toes. The advice you gave was good. I was expecting a longer list of techniques though.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: WADO 1

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 07/01/04 12:50 PM

Bend over grab the pant leg of the front of one thigh in each hand, use your back muscles to then stand up straight and your opponents legs will be lifted off the ground then drop them as hard or as softly as you like.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 07/01/04 01:14 PM

Chen Zen was kidding...

Going for the eyes, nostrils and groin, etc. are NOT the way to get out of headlocks, especially on the ground. You'd better have technical skills first, before you go about REACHING for any sort of targets like that. The problem with going for those "vitals" is that you're being set up for those things and don't realize it. Why take the chance?

The technical escapes are easy enough and don't expose you to having your arms broken and shoulders dislocated when attempting to gouge the eyes, etc.

I say this because I train heavily in submission wrestling. I anticipate such attacks, even when rolling with my students and partners. Moving your arms away from your body in ANY sort of reaching attempt with the exception of framing up (preparing an escape attempt, such as a headlock) is going to put your body out of position.

-John
[/QUOTE]

That's why were here, to talk about the technical skills we can share with others who lack them. The technique that I explained is done all the time and proven very "street effective". You can add in all the vaibles to self defense you want but the question was , "How do you get out of a head lock" What if your not a submission wrestler? What if, what if, what if....I hate that expression.

I think in the future if someone asks a question about self defense or such topics, please be more specific about who is attacking or grabbing you, is he a MA, is he a submission wrestler, a friend. There are so many varibles and answers to one question.............thanks.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 07/03/04 12:30 PM

Ahhh the headlock...

Standing...

The hard way? Learn a bunch of different techniques, memorize them and then in the heat of the fight try to recall the technical details and make them work.

The easy way? Learn how to clinch. Underhooks, Whizzers, Neck Clinches, Headlocks and play them alive, like a game. Learn to pummel and make it part of your regular training. It will be fun and you'll be amazed at your ability to avoid getting caught in and countering headlocks.

On the ground? Learn to grapple. See above.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 07/04/04 09:05 AM

Standing reach around their body and grab their other hand so they cannot punch you in the face. Step forward lift them up and slam them down ala Rampage.

Hard to explain.

[This message has been edited by mikelw (edited 07-04-2004).]

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 07/20/04 11:36 AM

Standing Side Headlock
Assuming that he has you with his left arm, first you have to anchor your right leg behind his left leg. As you are anchoring reach your right arm around his body up too his right shoulder and pull him back. This will disrupt his centre line. With your left hand begin to attack soft tissue areas, eyes, throat, groin.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 08/03/04 03:15 AM

Well I was in a situation with some friends, and we were just being guys, and one gets me in a headlock and starts dragging me backwards simultaniously. As I was being dragged I was in awe, realizing even with my training, in this situation, all I could do was wait it out. It was interesting.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 08/03/04 08:54 PM

I gues I came to this way late...but I'm surprised no one mentioned any type of head
movement to protect your throat to keep yourself from being choked out. A simple method I have been taught and practice was to immediately turn your face toward the attacker which takes the pressure from your throat to the neck muscles. Depending on how your positioned you may also get some extra protection for your face

Real nice thread.

- KiDoHae

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 08/09/04 06:30 AM

I disagree that taking a fight to the ground is bad, I myself, unless I'm against multiple opponents, almost always take a fight to the ground.

It depends on ones body type however, retards can tell you size doesn't matter, and feed you all this ancient art bull, but the fact is if your a stong enough individual you can easily gain an advantage by taking a fight to the ground.

But to headlocks, I'll have to explain the way I deal with them, and I'm a heavy guy, so if you can't do this, I'm sorry it's the only ways I know. However I'd like to add that growing up I was a small guy, I was somewhat unusually strong, but not heavy, and not tall, I still managed to pull these tactics off.

Standing up, easy, grab whoever is holding you in like a bearhug kind of hold, just wrap your arms around their torso. Once this is done, make sure your drip is firm, and just run around, force the both of you around, smash against walls or other objects (of course not headfirst or your just going to hurt yourself and soften his impact).

On the ground, well this is the only position I hate being in when a fight is on the ground, usually I try to get to my feet and keep my opponent on the ground, it's gonna hurt, and your going to be arched over face first against the ground so it'll probablly hurt, but this is when you struggle away, strike your opponent if it's a must, but generally if your halfway on your feet they will let go so they can get out of a position where you have the advantage. This is more of a phsycological tactic than a physical one.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 09/07/04 10:22 AM

METHOD 1-First thing you do is hit them in the groin, then grapb them by face and slam them backwards, if necesary pick up a leg to make it easier.
METHOD 2-reach around and grab them by the hair, then pull their head back and hit them in the throat or chest.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 09/09/04 01:22 PM

Here's another technique. If done properly it can be done in a fraction of a second. Say the guy has you in a headlock using his right arm.

1. grab his wrist with your left hand and twist downwards slightly while at the same time pressing your chin down to relieve the pressure to your throat.
2. Put your right hand on his elbow.
3. With a hard pull of your left hand and push of your right hand, force your head out of the lock.

Continuing the movement you will now have his arm in a lock position where you can either knee his elbow, kick his knee etc etc. You may get a slight friction burn on your head or ear, but that's better than getting strangled.

Re: how do u get out of a headlock? - 09/10/04 01:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by demochrno:
My question is simple how do u get out of a headlock?[/QUOTE]

Try this one:Opponent has you in a right headlock.Place your left hand in his right hip and your right hand on his right knee and turn into opponent pushing on both knee and hip.Very simple yet effective.Let me know how it works out.