question ???

Posted by: D^^X

question ??? - 06/15/04 08:18 AM

hi!
I wanted to ask you when I am fighting and I catch oponents leg , what should I do to make him fall very hard ???

And another question - how to block a sidekick??????????
Posted by: creative

Re: question ??? - 06/15/04 09:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D^^X:
hi!
I wanted to ask you when I am fighting and I catch oponents leg , what should I do to make him fall very hard ???

And another question - how to block a sidekick??????????
[/QUOTE]

Why do you want them to fall hard? Do you have mats?

To block a side kick (assuming you are fighting in a kicking range i.e. medium to long) i find it easiest to move at angles, because of the way a side kick is delivered moving to the outside of the "kicker" is often safer.
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: question ??? - 06/15/04 11:01 AM

The best way to block a side kick in my opinion is to not be on the end of it.
But if you feel like you are going to catch one, protect yourself like you would when some one throws a hook, keep elbow in tight, this will atleast help you absorb the sidekick, without recieving much pain.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: question ??? - 06/15/04 11:28 PM

Catch the leg, loop your foot behind his standing foot, push forward hard. Down he goes.
Posted by: schanne

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 07:42 AM

Catch the leg and what to do with it depends on the kick that was thrown?

Don't try to block a side kick, move out of the way from side to side rather than stepping back, a matter of fact most counters to kicks should be moving to the side or in a more circular motion. Moving backwards only sets you up for the next kick.

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 12:02 PM

It is a great fallacy to think that it is so easy to catch a kick.
catching a kick is an aquired skill!!!
unless you train hard for it, it will not just appear. you should know how to block a kick so you can have a plan B......instead of getting knocked out on plan A
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 12:18 PM

I would not recommend blocking a kick unless you have VERY huge arms. Mine would definitely snap against most people's kicks.

I far and away prefer getting out of the way as Schanne describes or catching the leg as Chen describes. Goldencrane is right, it takes practice, but it does work.
Sharon

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 01:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by goldencrane:
It is a great fallacy to think that it is so easy to catch a kick.
catching a kick is an aquired skill!!!
unless you train hard for it, it will not just appear. you should know how to block a kick so you can have a plan B......instead of getting knocked out on plan A
[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your blocking a kick phylosophy? Instead of induring all that energy and pain why not try to move out of the way or side step. Sure during sparring it's normal to get hit a number of time by kicks but I still try each time to move out of the way or counter with my own kick or takedown.

Goldencrane:
"catching a kick is an aquired skill!!!
unless you train hard for it, it will not just appear."

Very true, unless you train in that type of fighting. Some Dojo's never teach any kind of counter to a kick, while others will teach you how to take down an opponent with most any kick that is thrown at you. Our Dojo happen to be one that teaches counter moves to most all kick. What I mean by counter moves are takedowns to round kick, back kick, side kickand so on. If your not trained in that area of course it sounds hard but if you do it every time your at the Dojo it become basic, everything is relative.

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 03:27 PM

Schanne
If you read my first post I state that the best way is to avoid the kick altogether, but every karateka should know how to block the kick. there may and will come a time when you may not be able to get out of the way. It is just like a defense against a punch, the best way is to not be there but you better know how to block it!!!!!

Re: question ??? - 06/16/04 04:30 PM

You should always know how to block but, blocking is the weakest form of Defense.
Posted by: Brian Mullen

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 10:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
You should always know how to block but, blocking is the weakest form of Defense. [/QUOTE]

so are you saying that a marrtial artist should'nt spend time on blocks???

Just asking cause it seems that in my humble opinion those are the foundation of the martial arts. if you have a weak foundation the whole would be weak would'nt it?

Should a beginner spend alot of time on evading a kick or punch? Or should they practice blocks?? just a question from a (newer) martial artist

Brian

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 12:57 PM

That's not what I meant. It just sounds like you don't have or want any other alternatives except to stand there and block. Of course your going to have to block kicks but my intension was just to spare you some pain. I stand my ground though, while fighting I will always try to sweep you or take you down rather than focusing on blocking your kick...but that's me.

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 01:10 PM

Should a beginner spend alot of time on evading a kick or punch? Or should they practice blocks?? just a question from a (newer) martial artist

Brian

Kicking:
Don't mean to sound like a wise guy but it's not going to be up to you. Your Sensei probably has a set way of teaching his class and that's the way it's gona be. If you go to him and say hey this Schanne guy said you should be doing this and that, you might end up doing push ups??? Still my opinion is you should practice both. Your Sensei will teach you how to block anyway and while your sparring try some evasive and counter moves on your opponents kicks. Good luck

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 02:21 PM

Im not saying that blocks are useless. You do need them and should practice them. However blocking causes a few problems. #1 Impact. You may be strong and may have a high tolerance for pain but block enough and it will get sore and will cause tissue damage. #2 It occupies a hand that could be attacking. If you can Bob and Weave, and if you have good footwork then you find yourself blocking less and attacking more, which is the way to when a fight.

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 03:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Im not saying that blocks are useless. You do need them and should practice them. However blocking causes a few problems. #1 Impact. You may be strong and may have a high tolerance for pain but block enough and it will get sore and will cause tissue damage. #2 It occupies a hand that could be attacking. If you can Bob and Weave, and if you have good footwork then you find yourself blocking less and attacking more, which is the way to when a fight.[/QUOTE]

Chen Zen.........

I am starting to like you, cause you stick to your beliefs that is a noble quality.

With that said..When I said how to block a kick i was talkin "street" fighting not "class" fighting!! The average "street" fight last's...and I'll give a %point or two... the average street fight lasts about 30-45 seconds!!!! anything after that is usually someone getting the s**t kicked out of them. YES you should learn how and be effeciant in evading the attack, Yes you should learn how to trap and sweep the legs.......and YES YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO BLOCK!!!!!!

In a perfect world Chen Zen we could move out of the way and never get hit!!!But as I am sure that you are aware, We do not live in a perfect world!!!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Re: question ??? - 06/17/04 09:27 PM

Of course the difference is huge between the training hall and the street.Getting hit in the arms from blocking kicks in the dojo hurts. On the street they hurt more because your buddy isnt holding back. The world isnt perfect but you cant realistically go into an encounter thinking you wont get hit. You will. But to be able to lessen the damage to yourself by evading, even if not missed, the blow usually only glances. To be able to side step and push the opponents extended limb so as to slip inside and counter. These are things any serious fighter should work on. Slipping. Bobbing weaving. Footwork. Especially footwork. Its your foundation for everything you do from striking to defending or evading. The worlds not perfect but it can be done. It all depends on how much sweat your willing to put on the floor. Oh yeah, I like you too.

[This message has been edited by Chen Zen (edited 06-17-2004).]

Re: question ??? - 06/18/04 10:49 AM

The best way to block a side kick in my opinion is to not be on the end of it.
But if you feel like you are going to catch one, protect yourself like you would when some one throws a hook, keep elbow in tight, this will atleast help you absorb the sidekick, without recieving much pain.
[/QUOTE]

To Chen Zen and Schanne
reread my first post...i say to not be in the way IS the best way to block a kick!! never said that there were not any other methods!!

When and If you get into a "fight" expect to get hit....try to avoid the attacks if you can, BUT learn and train how to block the attacks. If you look at your one steps or self defense sets in you respective arts, 90% of them begin with a block of some sort...with that said, Blocks are the begining move and seem to be an essential part in protecting yourself.

Again I state that I would rather not be there when the kick comes in, but I guarantee that I will be able to block it!!!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: question ??? - 06/18/04 04:36 PM

Blocks may be in most of your techniques in your dojo but that does not mean that they are street effective. Blocking in the dojo helps stop the momentum of the attacker so you can slowly and with control finish your technique.

Blocking in the street is a much more difficult task. In the street, people throw with full force. Blocking is a lot more difficult than it seems. The focus of blocking also kinda beats around the bush so to speak. Why wait to block him? Why not make him worry about it?

About the sidekick...Most people in the street can not kick. You should not worry too much about kicks in the street. I'm not saying that you wont encounter them but, chances are, your opponent will kick very poorly. Risking repetition, kick him and make him worry about it.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: question ??? - 06/18/04 07:54 PM

People don't throw full force in the dojo... get a new one.

Re: question ??? - 06/18/04 10:58 PM

Its often true sadly. Most dojos dont go full force. Regardless, LEARN to block, but after you do learn to use them less if at all until you are comfortable without them then you have the best of both worlds.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: question ??? - 06/19/04 12:10 AM

I was taught to block.
When I spar or fight, I move away from the attack-as I have my hands in a position to block in case I misjudge the distance/timing.
I would never stand still and block. Always move.

Re: question ??? - 06/19/04 04:47 PM

Exactly. You learned how to block but you still move and only block if you have to. Thats the way.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: question ??? - 06/20/04 05:59 PM

I would try to break his leg with a low forearm strike to the knee ( side kick counter ). Not with the side of the forearm but with the top.
If I caught the leg I would try to break the opposite knee with a side kick or supplex or sweep the leg. Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Glasheen (edited 06-20-2004).]

Re: question ??? - 06/21/04 01:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay:
Blocks may be in most of your techniques in your dojo but that does not mean that they are street effective. Blocking in the dojo helps stop the momentum of the attacker so you can slowly and with control finish your technique.

Blocking in the street is a much more difficult task. In the street, people throw with full force. Blocking is a lot more difficult than it seems. The focus of blocking also kinda beats around the bush so to speak. Why wait to block him? Why not make him worry about it?

About the sidekick...Most people in the street can not kick. You should not worry too much about kicks in the street. I'm not saying that you wont encounter them but, chances are, your opponent will kick very poorly. Risking repetition, kick him and make him worry about it.
[/QUOTE]

"Every strike is a block and every block is a strike".....................

I never said to not move and block, I said evade first then block as needed.

Agree that on the street you really don't have to worry about kicks!!!
Posted by: 0goun

Re: question ??? - 06/21/04 03:36 PM

Even when you are blocking, you should sidestep. By sidestepping, preferably at a forward angle, you are in a better position to counter-attack. Also, should the block miss or is too weak, at least you are out the way.

Blocking can also be used to redirect or off-balabce his body to reduce the threat of subsequent or combination attacks.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: question ??? - 06/22/04 08:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
I would try to break his leg with a low forearm strike to the knee ( side kick counter ). Not with the side of the forearm but with the top.
If I caught the leg I would try to break the opposite knee with a side kick or supplex or sweep the leg. Ed

[/QUOTE]

Good luck breaking someone's leg like that.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: question ??? - 06/23/04 05:15 AM

Not the skiing type break as may be thinking but you can definatly disable someone leg with a well place strike.
Hyper extend, fracture it is possible. Ed

Re: question ??? - 06/30/04 11:30 PM

Rather than try to break his strongest muscle set and bone structure with your ARM why not just crush his standing knee with a low kick?

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:

[/QUOTE]

Immpossible?????????? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 01:48 PM

Immpossible?????????? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Which one of the techniques do you think is "IMPOSSIBLE"? Explain.

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 03:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
Which one of the techniques do you think is "IMPOSSIBLE"? Explain.[/QUOTE]

The whole breaking the leg with a forearm!!!!

Ok maybe not "Immpossible" but VERY "immpractical"!!!!
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 05:12 PM

certainly difficult, are you breaking a right leg with a right ridgehand, or with a left double bone block. The right ridgehand might work, but it should at least put you in a good position to throw or takedown.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 05:16 PM

Define "break". As in damage to the femur ie. cracking it or complete fracture, then no.

If you mean damage to the knee or soft tissue damage-then yeah.
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: question ??? - 07/01/04 07:31 PM

yeah I mean hyperextend, but I am unsure of the original intent.