need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best

Posted by: Anonymous

need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/18/04 09:30 PM

I am new to martial arts and would like to hear more experienced opinions. I'm not asking which style is best. I want to know which style you would recommend for me.I know that a persons size and other factors are important. So i hoped if i supplied some info that it would not sound like the same question "which one is best". I'm 5'6" 160 lbs. in good shape. i have had some boxing training and train with heavy bag and weights. Since i'm short I dont think TKD or karate is for me. i like the idea of wing chun except for leading strong side first. I think the boxing training I've had may conflict with wing chun. JKD sounds good but i hear there are alot of fakes.I got my neck broke a few years ago in a car wreck. It has healed fine but wonder if Jujitsu or judo would be a smart idea. i used to like to spar so i want that just not to extreme. my fighting days are over. I'm in my 30's and pretty mellow. I want to learn a martial art for several reasons but if i'm going to learn one i want it to be a good one not thai chi or some foo foo that just prepares me to have inner peace while getting my butt kicked or takes a life time to understand. I know its the school or instructor not the style but if all things were equal i do think there is a style that would probably fit me best. Any advice would be helpful.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/18/04 11:07 PM

You might look at Wado ryu. They incorperate a little of everything. Same with some forms of kempo. If you already have natural ability and train hard enough any art is effective. If you are looking for an art then kick boxing would be pointless. At 5'6" you would need a good inside game, american kenpo and wing chun would fit that bill. In order to be good all around you need stand up and ground fighting skill. Don't shy away from the internal arts though. You would be amazed at some of the full contact skill some of those guys have. Check out www.hsing-i.com Mike Patterson is said to be one of the best in the internal arts, his students have won a lot of nhb matches in Taiwan. Your best bet is to take a look at what you have available to you in your area and go in for a lesson. Most schools don't have a problem with you taking a free lesson to see if you like it. You might want to also look at Bujinkan and Genbukan. I know, ooohhh ninja! I've seen some really good fighter in the bujinkan and the system is pretty well rounded. www.winjutsu.com www.ninjutsu.com www.genbukan.org
Posted by: JohnL

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 08:42 AM

First of all, find out what's available close to you. If you have to travel miles to train, you'll give up because of the sheer inconvienience.

That should narrow your search.

Once you've found out what's available locally, ask the question again.

JohnL
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 12:27 PM

I agree with JohnL about finding a place close. With that said, I saw that you mentioned Judo. If there is a place close to you I would recommend it. Only exception is the thing you said about your neck. There is a lot of resisting, twisting, and pulling on the body so it may aggravate it. I am similarly built (5'7" & 170 pounds) and the art seems very good for my build. If there is a place close, you may want to check it out. Of course be careful if your neck starts bothering you.
Posted by: MartinR

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 02:38 PM

As you pointed out, the instructor is extremely important. Look at several schools before deciding. I'm also in my 30's and only a little bigger (5'9", ~180 lb), and all else being equal, my top choices would be Judo or Brazilian Jui-Juitsu if available - just be more aware of your neck.

I woundn't necessarily eliminate all karate (or even TKD) styles because of your size - you are probably tall for most of the traditional oriental practitioners.

With your background in boxing, you might consider Tai Boxing. It seems like it would be a fairly easy transition (but then, I don't study it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] )

One other idea would even be the "fitness kickboxing" - mainly to keep in shape. I've seen classes all over the place. It wouldn't be my first choice, but they have become popular and can give you a great cardio workout. (Some martial arts schools are better in other in that regard).

Good luck.

Martin

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 04:50 PM

thanks for the advice. I work all over the city and have almost every style to choose from so I'm not limited to just a few choices. Hapkido has alot of places but I know nothing about them. There is various karate but I disagree with high kicks. When I used to box I trained at a karate school.Can't remember style, does "traco" mean anything to anyone? I was impressed how the good ones could block most body shots with there legs. I should probably look more at kempo. I havent done much research on it yet. I'm not knocking softer styles and may be better with for my neck. I probably need to be careful there are metal brackets back there now but he said I "should" be stronger than before the wreck. I have to admit common since tells me brazilian jujitsu, judo or something similar seems to dominate but I'm betting it would be too rough on my neck. I don't like too much repitition so i want to avoid kata. Hard work doesnt bother me. So far I'm thinking win chun, muay thai, bjj, judo but any advice would help. I dont know much about styles yet but with your guys help who knows.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 05:05 PM

spurn Tae Bo and it's clones the way you would spurn a rabid dog

find a dojo that is traditional, not bounded by tradition, fights at all ranges full contact with and without gloves, takes techs from everywhere, practices self defense (different to "sparring") and weapons, traditional and in a "sportive" manner (like kali sticks with full protective gear).

make sure they work you like a lowly maggot too, and have great people to train with and a caring instructor who pushes you.

style doesn't matter. our dojo is the best in our style, but otherwise I wouldn't necessairly train in it. it's not that the style is weak, but some dojos come and go, not enough numbers, etc. They also don't have a culture like us.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/19/04 05:15 PM

Thought I would add that sport kickboxing isnt what I had in mind, I do want an art. Not mixed martial school of ground and pound or tkd usa incorporated. belts dont matter to me. I want to feel confident that i could defend against average one on one. The haymaker and tackle. The small number of fights I've been in have been much larger guys with no skill. I have done alright so far but wouldn't it be nice to know its gonna be ok. I think I may want to avoid the death strike schools though.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/24/04 11:35 AM

Look Kick boxing is about taking your steel shin and putting it accross your opponets leg, not his face. Height is irrelavent. And in Muay Thai there are only two kicks to learn.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/24/04 06:53 PM

Sez you....anyway, we have a few guys who are old boxers....but there is more to MA than ring fighting. Even Johnny Kogas trains "self defence".

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/24/04 11:01 PM

Well. I know what i said doesn't appy to some blackbelts. But I spar with many friends, full contact. One is a Karate Canadian National champion (black belt) and another is a (black belt) Tae Qwon Do student. And when they fight me they wouldn't dream of using Karate or Tae Qwon Do, against me. They western box me. Why? Cause it is effective and it works. Also anyone who is a boxer can take the hits with little discomfort. Alot of schools don't do, live, full contact. You have to train it like you use it.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-27-2004).]

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 12:03 AM

In and out of martial arts for years, but your national champion firend gets his arse kicked routinely by you?

Guess what, I'd use my "krotty" and it would be fairly rough. Maybe YOU were shit.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 12:55 AM

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-27-2004).]

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 06:57 AM

The fact you deride karate for being watered down, and then state Japan is where it's at, even though this is where the devolution occured, means you don't know shit from clay.

Oh please teach me more!

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 07:08 AM

Well, I've seen the drills they do there first hand *laughs and shakes head* buckets full off rocks they smash against their legs, THATS MARTIAL ARTS, not fighting imaginary opponents all day. Sorry to dissapoint you again.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 09:11 AM

How long have you been doing matrial arts for?

How old are you?

What was the longest time you studied a martial art for?

When did you go to Okinawa?
Posted by: John_C

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 03:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by otobeawanker:
Well, I've seen the drills they do there first hand *laughs and shakes head* buckets full off rocks they smash against their legs, THATS MARTIAL ARTS, not fighting imaginary opponents all day. Sorry to dissapoint you again.[/QUOTE]

Actually, smashing rocks against your legs is BLOODY STUPID. Especially as thai fighters manage to condition using bags/pads/sparring.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 05:45 PM

I am 24 and have been training for over ten years. Its not the years that are inportant. So much. I have been training about a thousand hours per year. Give or take twenty hours a week. I am an orange belt in Karate but wouldn't recomend it to anyone. As far as thinking that one can harden on pads is absurd. I've been training Muay Thai for five years. The instructers feel that you can't harden your body with pads. My one instructer learned in Thai land and is a proffesional body guard. One must take his steel shin and slam it against his opponent. Then you stand there and take a baseball bat of a shin back from your partner, repeat till you are sugnifigantly bruised. Then rest and replenish. Thus hardening the body. I have been jumped by men with bats and when they hit me I didn't feel a thing, I just beat them down. How is this possible? A life full of full contact sports, including seven years of american football. Okinawa is where I get my coral calcium. I have never been there. I watched an hour long expose on Karate on the learning channel where they showed the buckets or rocks being smashed against their legs and the boot camp like training. They compared the art to its western counterpart in detail. I think many modern martial arts, are all art, and no martial. I can drop people with one body shot wearing a 12 ounce glove, yet they can pound on my body with thier bare fist all day and I don't feel a thing. You just have to do a little bit everyday. Then ten years later your a man of Iron. My bone density is inhuman. I think that more people should engage in the hardening of the body, because it also hgardens the mind to pain, you can't be a truly good fighter unless pain is something you look forward too. Pain is our mate. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Im sure alot of you think I'm a crazy fool, but I have the witnesses to prove I can take on many armed assalents. I am a warrior poet not some nancy boy fighting his shadow all day. I have trained in over twelve different arts and have established my own stlye that is pratical and extremely effective. You can't dodge every strike, you gotta learn to wear them. I think too many people are scared of pain. I can box a steel door bare knuckle and dent the crap out of it with no discomfort. Thats Martial Arts. This Iron body is only half of it though the rest must be backed up by flawless technique. If you can't do it without thinking about it it is useless.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 08:16 PM

American Football full contact?

Yeah, those pads, helmets, time outs, ohh that's tough!

"I have trained in over twelve different arts and have established my own stlye that is pratical and extremely effective."

I'll ignore your shit from now on.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/25/04 10:57 PM

The metal helmut and shoulder pads are your weapon you attack the unprotected ribs, legs and joints of your opponent with.

Posted by: John_C

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/26/04 03:24 AM

As far as thinking that one can harden on pads is absurd. I've been training Muay Thai for five years. The instructers feel that you can't harden your body with pads.[/QUOTE]

Khun Kao Charaud disagrees;

[QUOTE]Conditioning the Shins

I've decided to do a short post on shin conditioning, as this topic keeps rearing its ugly head (over and over and over...)

1. Kick the Heavy Bag and/or Thai pads. You should kick over 100x's each day. I recommend 500x's, or around that figure.

2. Stop every so often and massage the shins vigourously to get the blood flowing back into them. This promotes faster healing of the bruised flesh and any damage to the bone.

3. Do not "tap" or "beat" your shins with sticks, boards, bottles, etc. This causes bruises, knots, etc to form on the shin. These painful little areas may stick with you for quite some time. My BJJ instructor has had a shin injury last for over a year b/c of improper shin conditioning.

4. Optional exercise: find a cylindrical object such as a rolling pin or bottle, and roll it lightly up and down the full length of the shin. Do this for at least 20 min's per shin.

There has been mention of the popular myth that in old age, Thai boxers shins become soft. Believe me, this is NOT TRUE! I have spoken with many older, retired Thai boxers, none of them have experienced any detrimental health issues concerning the conditioning of their shins and legs. I also s/w a medical professional, and to the best of that person's knowledge, the only likely explanation would be if someone had osteo-perosis (sp?), where the body leaches calcium from the bones when there is not enough in the diet. (Thailand is still in many ways a third world nation)
--
Khun Kao Charuad
SuriyaSak Muay Thai at USDC www.elbowko.com www.lloydirvin.com
to contact: KhunKao@mindspring.com />archived tutorials: http://go.to/stickgrappler

[/QUOTE]

As does everyone I know who ACTUALLY TRAINS MUAY THAI.

/shrug
Posted by: laf7773

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/26/04 07:55 AM

How exactly do you know what the training is like in japan? Have you been there? An orange blet in karate hardly qualifies you to judge the effectiveness of the art.

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 05-26-2004).]

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/26/04 06:48 PM

Its called research.

Edited for bad typing. My big hands are bad for keyboards. I wonder if they make key boards with big keys.

Posted by: JohnL

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/27/04 08:28 AM

In other words, he doesn't.

JohnL
Posted by: VJ

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/27/04 09:41 AM

Its called research.

Edited for bad typing. My big hands are bad for keyboards. I wonder if they make key boards with big keys.

[/QUOTE]

If your computer has plenty of memory try Dragon Speak it'll make it easier because you talk to your PC.
Posted by: VJ

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/27/04 09:46 AM

Its called research.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to know how you did your research. I've lived in Japan and saw some very intense training in Judo and Karate. Also if you ever read Black Belt magazine there is a program offering 3-year intense traditional karate training which requires a full commitment.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/27/04 06:51 PM

I have seen the folly of my ways. I realize that all schools run at different intensity levels and its not what you train so much but how you train. The Karate school of my childhood was a school of paper dragons. That left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time. That I ended up leaving at orange belt to go into Street fighting Ju Jit Su. Taught by a police officer. If I can learn to change my one track opinions on the gui arts so fast. It is because I have an open mind. I also learn very fast and have a thirst for knowledge. However they don't have the same legal liabilities In Japan as here. Many schools there can train there students at a Higher intensity level without fear of being suied I guess. Thats what I was trying to illustrate that what I have seen of Japanese schools on the science channel seemed more like hardcore military training.

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 05/31/04 01:46 PM

I recomend muay thai because you already have the boxing backround and it would help with learning or if you dont do muay thai i would say judo because it is one of the best martial arts for street fights.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best - 06/01/04 02:26 PM

The metal helmut and shoulder pads are your weapon you attack the unprotected ribs, legs and joints of your opponent with.

[/QUOTE]

Um...football helmets are plastic. Only the facemask is metal.

BTW, if you are such an ironman and can take full power, bareknuckle shots all over the body, I suggest trying Pancrase and see how well you do. You could make tons of money as they do not allow face shots. Now go get 'em Ironman [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]