unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence

Posted by: Anonymous

unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/09/04 03:50 PM

Hi I would like some advice on were to start training for self defence. I am unfit but would like to learn one of the disciplines anyone any recommendations were to start at my age.
thanks micvay.
Posted by: creative

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/09/04 03:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micvay:
Hi I would like some advice on were to start training for self defence. I am unfit but would like to learn one of the disciplines anyone any recommendations were to start at my age.
thanks micvay.
[/QUOTE]

Best bet is probably to go down to your local centres and try out each style until you find one which you think you like. Talk to the teacher and tell him what you want from your training and see what he can offer you. Post what info you get here and everyone will give you advice...well i will even if they wont.

Good luck
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/10/04 03:33 PM

Try Tai Chi. This is a good grounding art, and providing you find a good teacher, will bring you enormous health benefits as well.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/10/04 03:56 PM

hammer,
I am not disputing the healt benefits of Tai Chi (I don't know enough about it to do so).

It is my understanding, however that it takes many many years more than an external martial art before anyone becomes proficient to use it as self defence.

Not to be rude to micvay (I am roughly in the same age bracket myself) but at 48, he might want to consider an external striking art, which would see quicker results.

If I am wrong in the second paragraph, I appologise.
Sharon
Posted by: TDJACK

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/10/04 05:09 PM

What do you mean by "self defense"? Why do you say you are unfit? What do you really want? The best art of self defense is to not find yourself in situations that will require it. Real fights are unscripted, formless and brief; you'd be surprised how long 3 to 10 seconds really is.

Whatever you try to learn you'll need several years to reach the first stage. The foundation must be laid, the framing built and the wiring connected.

I'm sixty and I've put a few youngsters on the ground. It's all about root, rotation and relaxation. Any art will do if it's practiced with these principles.

Except at the highest level striking is for kids who have seen to many choreographed movie fights. We are all a lot less powerful than we think we are. Spontaneous movement is formless and unpredictable. There is no enemy.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/10/04 07:31 PM

Just do it!

I'm of a similar age and getting fit comes from doing things rather than sitting on your butt talking about doing things...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Find a club, join and get stuck in. You'll love it! Remember that you may find it hard at first so go at your speed, but soon you will improve in speed and flexibility.

Most older ppl have probs with lack of flexibility.

Mixed MA is a good place to start, find a club that does a bit of everything and have a go mate!
Posted by: VJ

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/11/04 10:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micvay:
thanks micvay.
[/QUOTE]

Creative gave the best advice! Just try several different ones to find the one that works for you. First see your doc and get the thumbs up. Next go out to these schools and see what feels comfortable for you. Don't hesitate to express your goals to the teacher so that they can give you an honest (hopefully) answer. Also research that style on the net to improve your knowledge of the art and maybe some info about the teacher. I''m not able to tell you what is right for you anymore than anyone else. Don't let age stop you from getting out there though.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/12/04 01:11 AM

Thai boxing is good for self defense. Dare I say brazilian ju jitsu?
Posted by: John_C

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/12/04 03:48 PM

Well - I'd say that the priorities for self defence would be;

Relatively Simple Techniques
Relatively Few of them
Techniques that work when people are trying to stop you doing them (and that can be tested/trained with something approaching the force you intend to use them at)
Techniques that don't leave you short if you have to stand and trade, go to the clinch or the ground.

If you live somewhere where it's permitted, you might also consider training to use, and carrying, a firearm. (Not much empty hand stuff is any cop against knives/bullets).

Personally, I'd say sod self defence, do something you actually like doing. You're more likely to keep going, and so more likely to get fitter as you train.

The best self defence techniques in the world are no bloody good if going to the gym/dojo/kwoon/dojang makes you so miserable that you pack it in after a week.
Posted by: MartinR

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/20/04 08:05 AM

For pure self defense, I would strongly consider a legal concealed weapon and learn how to use it (pepper spray, folding knife, or even a handgun). Check local laws.

As for martial arts self defense, John pointed out some great priorities. In my experience, these seem to be offered best at mixed martial arts schools, but it depends on the instructor. As others have pointed out, it needs to be something you will stick with.

Start slow and build up. Depending on how "unfit" you may even want to get advice from a doctor (or even a physical).
Posted by: VJ

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/20/04 11:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John_C:
Well - I'd say that the priorities for self defence would be;

Relatively Simple Techniques
Relatively Few of them
Techniques that work when people are trying to stop you doing them (and that can be tested/trained with something approaching the force you intend to use them at)
Techniques that don't leave you short if you have to stand and trade, go to the clinch or the ground.

If you live somewhere where it's permitted, you might also consider training to use, and carrying, a firearm. (Not much empty hand stuff is any cop against knives/bullets).

Personally, I'd say sod self defence, do something you actually like doing. You're more likely to keep going, and so more likely to get fitter as you train.

The best self defence techniques in the world are no bloody good if going to the gym/dojo/kwoon/dojang makes you so miserable that you pack it in after a week.
[/QUOTE]

John has hit it on the head. My take on what John wrote is this:

1. It must use practical, realistic and legal techniques.
2. It must deal with the mind and body about actual confrontations and the aftermath.
3. It has to be something you will stick with because you like it and feel that it meets your practical needs.

That is my humble opinion. Keep us posted on how it goes and good luck.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: unfit 48 year old unfit but wanting to learn self defence - 05/24/04 11:27 AM

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]