ear removal

Posted by: c_maj7th

ear removal - 10/29/03 07:38 PM

I've recently been studying an art that involves alot of ear pulling during trips and reaping throws.While this seems brutal enough to give an attacker second thoughts,I'll still throw out a couple of questions.
1)just how much can the outer ear take before it comes off in the grabbers/throwers hand and 2)if anybody has seen an ear pulled off in combat did it stop the fight?
thanks in advance for any insight.
c
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ear removal - 10/29/03 11:06 PM

best answer I could verify by several different sources is this: 7lbs. per square inch to rip human ear off.

Fortunately I have never witnessed this.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ear removal - 10/30/03 01:42 AM

I have never seen an ear ripped off but I have seen one bitten off. It did not stop the fight and I am not sure if the guy who lost part of his ear even realised it had happened until afterwards. This might be because it was the ear lobe which is less sensitive than the upper part of the outer ear.
Sharon
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: ear removal - 10/30/03 12:35 PM

Ask Mike Tyson..(sory I had to)
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: ear removal - 10/31/03 05:36 AM

I wouldn't rely on it - there are stories all over the place on the sort of damage people can take before they give up.

People kicked in the nuts so hard their testicles ascended (I'm crossing my legs at the thought even now) who chased after their attacker and beat on them, only complaining of the pain when in custody and hour or so later. There used to be some of these (posted by an LEO) on one the SBG sites, but I can't find them now.

I reckon the best you can hope for is a "Well, maybe" with the possibility that you've just given your unstopped rippee a damned good reason for pounding you even harder than he was going to...
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: ear removal - 10/31/03 08:13 AM

I've seen part of an ear (the lobe end and a bit above) ripped off by a punch...how you may ask? Well the puncher missed, but the metal strap of his watch connected with the ear as it went passed and tore part of it off. This naturaly resulted in a great deal of bleeding. Capillary bleeding to be precise which is quite intense and difficult to stem. The short verson to this tale is that yes it must have stung, yes it did bleed but it didn't in of itself stop the fight for the simple reason that as others have intimated, adrenalin is a great painkiller. Someone with part of their ear missing is unlikely to stop wanting to rip your head off, indeed they are very likely to want to do you further damage. That in itself is obviously not reason enough to abandon it as a technique, but don't consider it to be the last word in securing victory.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: JKogas

Re: ear removal - 11/01/03 06:19 AM

There is no way in hell that I would rely on any sort of technique like this. I have seen things that many people still "assume" to be "fight enders", NOT end the fights they were used in! What happened? It's a result believing myth and not having actually ever tried these tactics in a fight oneself. WAY too little fight experience is what makes these little things take a life of their own.

-John
Posted by: Ender

Re: ear removal - 11/01/03 03:10 PM

Then again, just because it isnt a fight ender doesn't mean it can't be useful.

It might not put them down alone, but coupled with some grappling it could work well.

This is all i theory to me, I have never tried to grab a partners ear in NHB sparring (except on the ground vying for control and positional dominace [one place it CAN be effective, along with fishhooking]) for fear of injury.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: ear removal - 11/02/03 08:13 PM

Yes charles.

I recently read an article in the local paper in which a drugged up man got into a fight with his girl friend. he got into a sort of mount position and the girl friend bit his testicles off. He continued to beat the piss out of her, and only after several inutes realised what had happened.
Posted by: Doughnut

Re: ear removal - 11/02/03 10:57 PM

Off topic but not realy.
I remember reading an articleyears ago describing how KGB "interogators" would tear someones ear off kind of like pealing a bannana. They evidently would tear it bit by bit off and down and when they ran out of ear they would keep tearing. So that the ear wound up haning from the chinn, or neck by a looong string of skin. I don't know if it was true but the idea gives me the willies to this day.
Doughnut