Headbutt

Posted by: StillWater

Headbutt - 10/02/03 11:51 AM

Havent ever used this in a fight but curious about it's effectiveness for openning the way to followup techniques.
Basic situation; hand (or even arm) behind opponent's head, quick, strong headbutt aimed at nose using the hand to multiply the force of the headbutt.
Maybe follow up with some knee strikes, then take it into a grapple.
Anyone with experience feel like sharing?

[This message has been edited by StillWater (edited 10-02-2003).]
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Headbutt - 10/02/03 12:37 PM

Only been in a handful of "real" fights in the past few years...when I say real I mean the other guy and myself really didn't like each other and were actually trying to hurt each other. I was fighting this guy much bigger than me and he had me in a bear-hug with both arms pinned at my sides and my feet off the ground. I hit him as hard as I could in the face with the top of my head and he let go, then I punched him in the neck and it got broken up. Anyway, I know you said "hand behind the head, open up for grappling," but that was my real life experience witht using a headbut...it worked well.
Posted by: Tengu51

Re: Headbutt - 10/02/03 12:58 PM

Best head butt I ever used wasn't the typical to the nose scenario. I had pulled the guys head back and wanted to attack his throat but my other hand was tied up and I was very close so I head butted his adam's apple fairly lightly, not enough to crush the windpipe, I more or less just dropped my head onto his throat. Stopped him right away.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Headbutt - 10/03/03 04:41 PM

I tend to use headbutting differently than most might in that I use it to off balance more so than as an attack per se'. It's still an impact blow but I don't retract it afterward.

It's like this; anyone use a stiffarm in football? Or a palm heel to push someone's chin back and upset their balance?? It's the same deal. It works in the clinch when you have a control tie up.

-John
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Headbutt - 10/25/03 11:10 PM

Interesting but how well would it work against a taller opponent?
Posted by: Tkdstreetfighter88

Re: Headbutt - 10/28/03 05:49 PM

The best way to deliver a headbutt is grabbing the shoulders and pulling the guy forward as you drive your forehead into his face. And as said earlier if they got you bearhugged with your arms pinned.

As for headbutting a taller opponent just go for it if have to really. Headbutts are effective but not the best thing to do since all your opponet as to do is stick his elbow out when you go to headbutt him and your probally going to win the fight for him.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Headbutt - 10/29/03 01:25 AM

Headbutts are used a lot in Yang Family Tai Chi straight, top of the head and in a "wiping" motion,often (as in "Brush Knee") to get the opponent to retract his head and open the heart meridian.
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Headbutt - 10/29/03 03:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tkdstreetfighter88:
The best way to deliver a headbutt is grabbing the shoulders and pulling the guy forward as you drive your forehead into his face. And as said earlier if they got you bearhugged with your arms pinned.
[/QUOTE]

I can't say I speak from experience, but I'd want to control the head by grabbing the neck/back of head rather than the shoulders. It'd stop the neck whipping back and taking some of the force out of the blow too, I'd imagine.

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 10-29-2003).]
Posted by: Tkdstreetfighter88

Re: Headbutt - 10/29/03 12:27 PM

THat whill probally work as well. I just know if you have control of his head its best to use elbow strikes, knee strikes, and punches rather than head butting. Also you can throw them off balance really good and send them to the ground.

If you grab hold of his hair and pull him as you headbutt that hurts much worse.

Also grab hold of an ear or ears and twist to control them as you slam your head into their face that is really effective.
Posted by: dazzler

Re: Headbutt - 10/30/03 06:37 AM

http://www.go.to/stickgrappler

Check this out ...Charles McKay posted it on another thread...

Look for 'Testa'....
Posted by: judodoc

Re: Headbutt - 10/30/03 03:28 PM

I like to use head butts like boxers do, short range, usually a clinch, short shots as jkogas said as much to off balance and create space as anything. This decreases the risk of damaging myself too much.
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Headbutt - 10/31/03 05:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tkdstreetfighter88:
THat whill probally work as well. I just know if you have control of his head its best to use elbow strikes, knee strikes, and punches rather than head butting. Also you can throw them off balance really good and send them to the ground.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe. It just strikes me that using your head *without* controlling the target fully is a colossal hostage to fortune.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Headbutt - 10/31/03 08:30 AM

Three comments on this one really.

1) The most damaging way to use to headbutt is to use a "cutting" side to side motion with one corner of your forehead as you propel the attack forward. This leads to a greater chance of opening up the opponents face, especialy on the eyebrows. This has natural advantages of bleeding in the eyes, shock factor etc.

2) The controlling the opponent before delivering the headbutt has some merit (in terms of the clasic lapel grab and pull onto headbut) as the physics of the collision is undeniable. However by cupping the head or holding the hair, you are risking the targets head dipping and you nutting the top of his head or forehead. Both of which will hurt you and damge him less. Furthermore, very few people other than the terminaly drunk or very dazed would allow themsleves to be yanked onto such a blatant set up for the mother of all headbutts.

3) This in many ways links with 2. What may I ask is anyone doing, allowing someone to enter their space with hostile intent to enable the headbutt. I concede its value as expressed in 1, up close in a clinch, with a short range cutting butt. However, closing for the headbutt or allowing an opponent to enter your space to administer a headbutt upon them contravenes all good self defence theory. There are a variety of weapons to employ at punching and intermediate range before lining up the headbutt. It may well sucker the rank amateur or the drunk, but really why are you using such a devestating attack against muppets like that.

In short, the headbutt is a great technique, but limited by the range at which is must by definition be thrown. I advise its use in a clinch or on the floor, but the old chesnuts like standing on the guys foot and dragging him into the mother of all headbuts will not catch out anyone with a whit of experience.

This topic has been debated before on this section of the forum. I'll reactivate that thread for extra information.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: dazzler

Re: Headbutt - 10/31/03 08:58 AM

Absolutely no question of the effectiveness of this technique..

Lots of uses for set ups , releases of rear holds and breaking out of a clinch.

As a complete finisher its up there with the best in the eyeball to eyeball situation favoured by the 'did you spill my pint' morons.

But use the legs ...or dip the hips ...you need the right distance and if your gonna do it do it hard.

Use the legs? like a footballer ..(ok soccer to most readers) these provide the power , the forehead delivers it.

And practice it against the heavy bag along with appropriate dialogue to get range.

Yes - its dirty.
Yes - its sneaky
yes - its not marquess of queensbury

But if delivered right...mr drunk is on his rear already composing his 'I didn't do anything...he just started on me...' speech that is forever trotted out by the vanquished. And you are on you feet.

Time to beat a very hasty exit.

How do I know this? A man in the pub told me....
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Headbutt - 11/01/03 06:26 AM

Chen Zen --

Man, I'm sorry dude. I just saw your reply to my post WAY back.

You'd asked how my tactic would apply to taller folks. Truth is, you will have a harder time trying that one against a taller guy. But, if you're THAT close in against a taller op., you're going to have leverage on your side anyway (too close for his range, your hips lower than his, etc).

Unless I hip bumped him to bend him slightly, it's not something I would try against a much taller guy. Of course, a headbutt in general won't work in that case either. Gotta go to plan "B", lol!

-John