how can one punch harder?

Posted by: Raven

how can one punch harder? - 08/15/03 09:07 PM

yup yup how can i punch harder? I mean are their any at home tricks?
Posted by: Mykool

Re: how can one punch harder? - 08/17/03 09:56 AM

Yep.

Step 1: Get a puching bag.
Step 2: Learn how to punch correctly
Step 3: Apply this technique to the bag
Step 4: Repeat step 3
Posted by: MAGon

Re: how can one punch harder? - 08/17/03 10:30 AM

Raven: There's a thread about the same topic in the "Martial Arts Talk" forum. People there gave some good feedback on the subject, if you're interested.
Posted by: madhag

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/11/03 04:30 PM

learn to punch, sweat like crazy, and use body connection for power.
Posted by: exceptionist 2

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/12/03 12:10 AM

The simplest way I can suggest as to how to punch harder is to:

First get your form right(angle, trajectory) in the most comfortable way for you.

Heavy bag is always good to get your wrists used to the impact and impact stress.
Knuckle pushups are a forgotten method to strenghthen the Knuckles.

My personal method is to aim for the back of the head when punching in the face, this induces a natural follow through that greatly increases the power of your punches, use this for other targets as well.

the exception
Posted by: JKogas

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/13/03 02:52 PM

The heavy bag will teach you more about punching than nearly anything else -- providing you have the fundamentals down.

Just remember to bend your knees enough. Power doesn't come from the arms, but from the legs and hips. Bend your knees enough and learn to punch high, from your forehead.

-John
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/14/03 07:03 PM

I would generaly agree with what JKogas has said on this topic. I would also add that hitting "through" the target is vital rather than "stopping" the strike on first impact. Also, learn to chain the muscles in throwing the technique. For example in a hook punch, the power comes firstly from the foot positioning, then from the knees, then the lower back and so on. The torque from all these muscle groups should be unloaded virtualy as one, like a spring uncoiling as the arm whips across and though the target.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: Bossman

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/15/03 01:06 PM

Couple of extra tips that might help:

Point your foot, knee and upper body in the same direction as the punch.

Push backwards on the foot to get directional energy.

Try holding the waist back a little (up to 45 degrees to the hip) and then releasing it to power the arm.

Vibrate the hip with the the wrist rotation for penetration. Use "hammer and screw" action of the wrist to get that "stabbing" effect.

Release the punch as the toes touch the floor and complete as the heel lands (forget the heel bit if it's staying raised).

Ensure the elbow points downward so you don't open the shoulder and lose power.

Squeeze the last 2 fingers tight to activate the larger group of forearm muscles to strengthen the wrist and protrude the first two knuckles. Ensure the webbing of the hand captures the tip of the index finger to stop it sliding out of the fist.

Soften immediately after the required penetration to be able to continue immediately.

Hope it helps...

Steve
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/17/03 12:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrVigerous:
I would generaly agree with what JKogas has said on this topic. I would also add that hitting "through" the target is vital rather than "stopping" the strike on first impact. Also, learn to chain the muscles in throwing the technique. For example in a hook punch, the power comes firstly from the foot positioning, then from the knees, then the lower back and so on. The torque from all these muscle groups should be unloaded virtualy as one, like a spring uncoiling as the arm whips across and though the target.

Regds
Mr V
[/QUOTE]

I would echo both JKogas and Mr. V's comments and add...Relax. I have found that relaxed whole-body power will deliver the hardest strike.

Structural alignment (from the bones of the arm on down to the feet) is a very key factor to being able to generate a ton of power in a strike. Relaxation is very important because you don't want to tense up and get in the way of the transfer.

Also, increasing the ligament and tendon strength will increase your power and stablility.

Scott
Posted by: Reiki

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/17/03 07:59 PM

Allow your legs, hips & body to drive the power into the punch.

If your belt ends aren't swinging while u are punching then you probably aren't getting the full power transfer.

We are all taught to punch and kick through the target for optimum power.

Also remember that as you punch with one fist you are automatically torqueing / loading up the other fist [via the body mechanics] for a hard hit if you are doing it properly. Hence why your right cross will hit harder than the left jab in a jab/cross combination.

A 3/4 twist punch will provide most power transfer provided you can hit properly with the top of the 1st 2 knuckles on the horizontal. Keep your wrist straight so that the alignment is along the 2 bones of the forearm and that they are not twisted..

happy hitting! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Rand

Re: how can one punch harder? - 09/17/03 08:01 PM

my teacher tells us that in taekwondo and in a lot of martial arts all movements start as one

say when you moving the rest of your body into the strike that you continue using your body in the stike until you pull the strike back after executing the technique
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: how can one punch harder? - 07/21/04 09:18 AM

as u punch, use ur lead jab to set up for ur stronger cross. as the cross comes in, twist your hips and your shoulders, this increases the speed of ur fist greatly

to practice improving the power of hooks, using a bag or pads, hold your arms out parallel to the floor and then bend ur elbows at right angles. then lock your arms in this position, and using only the twisting motion of your upperbody, strike the pads or bag and feel how much power comes not from your arm but the movement of your waist and shoulders

Re: how can one punch harder? - 01/27/05 07:24 AM

Hi, after reading a lot on Bruce Lee, for some one who just under 7 and a half stones, he was known to have one of the hardest punches in both hands. his secret to this was he put his heart in to it (ie grew balls to fight)
However you can also to a form of training called isometric training at home, its simple.eg put a pillow against a wall and in a punching state punch the pillow and push against the pillow for about 15 secs keeping the arm straight, then do the same bending the arm approx 45 degrees, then do it again bending the arm fully. so after the third time you would have completed a full punch, its best if you read up as i cant explain it properly, hope this helps
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: how can one punch harder? - 01/27/05 10:35 AM

Well, first relax. Most important. If you already have good form but are looking for that extra little bit, then work on your footwork. All of your power and speed comes from the ground.

Anything else is mentality. Visualize destroying the target, forcing your fist through it, and have the confidence that you can do it. Mentality goes a long way.

Re: how can one punch harder? - 02/01/05 01:20 AM

and when you punch you should put all of your hips into it, and.... snap it!!and use your weight to
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: how can one punch harder? - 02/02/05 01:28 PM

ever seen Rocky 2? SNARL!!

grr

lol!

Alec

Re: how can one punch harder? - 02/03/05 09:01 AM

Peter Consterdine has one of the hardest punches in the U.K if not the world (I know I have been on the end of one!!) Peter is an 8th Dan karate guy and has developed the double hip technique, massive power!
He has a DVD/video called 'Power Punching' - check it out!